Horrible College Shooting at Virgina Tech.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ministerofdeath, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Some 31 students were shot and killed with a number of wounded according to every media outlet.

Some Asian Male in his early 20s apparently went on a killing spree armed with what is currently reported was a 9mm pistol and a .22 caliber pistol or possible two 9mm pistols.

There is speculation that the man may have been targeting a girlfriend and others he thought had harmed him in some way.

My heart goes out to all the victims, their families, and all those connected to them.

2. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Shooter was probably tired of hearing about Don Imus and wanted to bump him from the headlines. Seriously though, that's some tragic stuff.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Apparently,

No Sheep Dogs on Campus today......

Only Sheep....

And a Wolf or two....

[Referance]

Very Sad indeed....

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That's is the greatest flaw in carry law here - I definitely think a university campus is definitely a potential "high-threat" area. Especially for my girlfriend - she and I really wish pepper spray wasn't the only thing she had with her when leaving at night.

This is definitely a tragedy, and IMHO, one that might have been adverted if the bad guys weren't the only ones with guns. My heart goes out to the families...

I'm sure we (gun enthusiasts) are going to take some heat for this. I hope this incident doesn't prove to be the necessary fuel for the HR 1022 fire, even though an assault rifle wasn't used.

Does anyone know if this guy was just walking around with fistfulls of magazines?

5. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Even in states and localities with 10 round limits it would only take ten 10 rd mags to = 100 rounds. Word is he had two guns. Assuming two mags in each gun to start, he could have easily stuck eight more mags in his jeans and coat pockets. Two mags in each back pocket, two in each front and no casual observer would notice.

7. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Someone made a similar point to my last one in the comments after the article. I also agree with the comment that "gun free zones" that aren't backed up with armed LE create kill zones.

The Brady spokes person said something to the extent that this isn't one or two shots at a time, when you have the capacity to shot 20 at a time the damage is greater... Sigh. Even a revolver has at least five rounds and a shot gun will hold five plus one minimum.

8. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Yes and I bet that if the shooter had one gun with only limmited ammo
    so he had to take aim and his time and make each shot count more would have died... more ammo
    and more Mags don't kill more people, it may injure more due to more
    rounds in the air, but if some one takes more careful aim and their time
    the deth count goes way up.

9. Well predictably we are seeing knee jerk reactions from your typical American liberal media outlets.

What people should keep in mind is that this isn't the worse school shooting.

Here in Michigan we had a huge arson crime on a school in Bath, Michigan back in the late 1920s that killed over 50 people mostly young children. No firearm was used there and yet many died.

I think its sad when in this country you have so many people taking advantage of tragedy to shred the Constitution. :cry:

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Wherever the area is sterilized of guns, the predator appears.

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Food for thought, boys:

How safe do you feel now, jackass?

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Wow - very, very good find. Probably the most sobering thing I've read in awhile. Great job Thunderbear!

13. West01

West01 New Member

What a horrible tragedy. My heart and prayers goes to the victims and their families.

Were was the thread again..???

Should Teachers carry firearms.....

:cry:

West01

14. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Thunderbear, that bit o' info quickly made it onto DailyKos. Someone who lives in Blacksburg was furious that a conservative blogger would bring that up and then when on to spew uninformed assumptions about civilians with guns and how it wouldn't have possibly stopped what happened.

A friend of mine the other day called me an iconoclast, which I thought was high praise I am not worthy of. But it is interesting, today I find myself the minority liberal arguing against the Iraq war in a gun forum that tends to be conservative while also being one of the lone anti-anti-gun voices on the progressive liberal bastion that is DailyKos.com. Maybe I am an iconoclast.

I won't let it go to my head. :)

15. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Guess I'm one too. I have had the same experience.

16. alagator

alagator New Member

Worldpax and Posterboy, add me to the gun-totin' liberal gang. I am a retired high school teacher now living in England with my British bride. All I can carry here is my Alabama carry permit (for nostalgia). When the news broke here, the Brits were all over us about the "gun culture". I told my wife that the problem was all the law abiding students were unarmed. A few students and professors returning fire would have at least discouraged this criminal.

17. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Although Thunderbear's point is well taken, that won't be the prevailing thought. It will be lets have MORE gun control......... :evil: My predudice against 9mm has certainly changed.......I thought the guy had an AK47 or something of the assault nature............

18. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

gun control? there was gun control!! no guns on campus. that's the law. what could be more clear? the law said no guns on campus.

and he broke it. surprised? he was planning to kill people. as long as you're breaking that law, you can pretty much tack on whatever else you want. passing a law does not change people's intentions or actions. it just changes the punishment after the fact.

i'm sure there's a "no drugs on campus" law. since the law exists, the campus is assuredly 100% free of contraband substances. i wonder if there are any 18-20 year olds that consume alcohol on campus? THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW TOO!!!!

laws only affect those who obey them. and law abiding citizens aren't the ones causing grief.

so my obvious question becomes... if the shooter didn't obey the "no guns on campus" law, would he obey ANY gun ban law? NO!

to me this is the perfect example of gun laws not affecting criminals. shooting innocent people is illegal too. he broke that law.

some people think that banning guns will make them far harder to come by. they might say, "if guns were illegal, he never would have had one in the first place."

bukake!!!

we banned drugs... they're pretty easy to get. just ask all the junkies that never make it out of high school, because mom and dad both had to work two "service economy" jobs to make ends meet leaving the kid with no guidance away from this sort of behavior.

my heart goes out to the families of the victims. if the students had been permitted to defend themselves, this may have turned out differently.

19. breechplug

breechplug Guest

That makes me #3. Well said guys.

20. QPluralisT

QPluralisT Guest

(In the posterboy/WordPax et. al. group) I'm probably a step further left of center though.

The problem with this is that neither banning guns or allowing them is going to cure the vices that are associated with the risk involved. Both sides of the issue have extreme vices to them, and anyone on either side can recognize those. This is gridlock.

When we reach a gridlock situation like this, what we really need to ask ourselves is, did the institutions in place for this hazard do what they were supposed to do. We'll only find out in time what really happened, but the video footage certainly showed a rather bewildered and unprepared response team to the crisis.

Two very obvious changes need to be made:

1. Any death on a college campus should shut the campus down immediately.
    2. Police should not hesitate to enter a building and take down a killer.

On a final note, "Gun free zones" on campuses are meant to protect the University not the individual. Think of it this way, if a campus was "wet" and a student who became drunk on campus hit another student while driving, is the University partly responsible? (I'll leave the rhetorical part to you)