Steyr Club Forums banner
5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Riogrande481 
#1 ·
Forgive me if this has been posted before.

From Vol 66, Issue 14, pg. 32 of Shotgun News, under the article "Pistols of the 2012 IWA Show":

"Steyr is Back.

The Steyr Model M has been revamped and the result is a slightly larger pistol. It is called the Steyr Model L-A1 Full Size Service Pistol and it comes with a longer barrel and a 17-round magazine capacity in 9x19mm. This pistol will also be available in .40 S&W and 357SIG as well. I was given a brief demonstration of the pistol by the man responsible for the redesign (Heresy! - IC) Friedrich Aigner, and the bottom line is they have built a pistol that is approximately the same size as the Glock 17, but with a 1mm longer barrel and slide.

As for the internal trigger safety that operates with its own key on the right side of the polymer frame, they have a new option where the button that operates this lock can be replaced with one that operates off a common handcuff key for police officers. This new gun felt very balanced, if slightly muzzle-heavy, but the sights on the model I handled were more traditional and not the Steyr diamond trapezoid seen previously."

Well, it ain't a 10mm or a .45, but boy howdy do I ever want a 357. In y'alls opinion, is it too early to start driving Jeff and company crazy about bringing these over? And what is a "Glock 17 + 1mm" barrel anyway - 4.5 inches?

See less See more
#2 ·
As a big gun like this, I would want it in a 45.
Thats just how I feel though.

#4 ·
Awesome info, Cattivo!!!

Looks like they are moving away from traps to try to appease fussy gun-owners in the USA.

I love the traps, though. I wonder how it will be to shoot with box sights; not a deal-breaker to me. While trap sights are great for fast acquisition; at longer ranges, they take a longer time to line up rigidly for precise shots (50yds, 100yds, and beyond).

Shooting a Glock 34 at a 3Gun match with the pistol only on a carbine stage, I was able to hit all long distance plates that were 6-12 inches across before the par time hit. Some shooters did not finish the stage with carbines. The box sights definitely have merit; especially when in the fiber-optic config.

Shooting the same distances with the Steyr, I could not hit the targets.

#5 ·
thankfully we can still order them with trap sights... i've had a few forum members here recently order C9-A1's from me. all the wholesellers carry them with the 3 dots, but a simple call down to Eric @ steyr and i got them ordered up with traps... i can only imagine they will offer the same great service for the L series.

to hear that the L will be offered in 357 sig is a joy for me, i just chopped the grip of one of my M-A1's down to S length for practice for when the L gets here! i love the compact frame/longer barrel just like i thought i would & i cant wait to do this to the L.

#6 ·
thankfully we can still order them with trap sights... i've had a few forum members here recently order C9-A1's from me. all the wholesellers carry them with the 3 dots, but a simple call down to Eric @ steyr and i got them ordered up with traps... i can only imagine they will offer the same great service for the L series.

to hear that the L will be offered in 357 sig is a joy for me, i just chopped the grip of one of my M-A1's down to S length for practice for when the L gets here! i love the compact frame/longer barrel just like i thought i would & i cant wait to do this to the L.
Same here, thehead; I shoot the .357SIG in competition (when ramen is on sale) and in hunting. I love the round. The G31 I have is extremely efficient in putting deadly accuracy downrange, very rapidly. I find that 9mm Glocks are much too flippy, however.

Anyway, I plan to immediately purchase the L9-A1 and L357-A1 if they are in the price-range. Originally I was gunning for the new gen of M9-A1, but this makes more sense.

#7 ·
Ahhh. 357 sig.

Nice reading there, I did not know about that.

35 cents a round isn't to bad.

I'd still want it in a 45.
If I buy a full size pistol, I want full size impact.

I'm not familiar with 40's or 357sigs.

#8 ·
357 Sig will get you your impact.

Actually, I've got data collected over a decade by a guy (he followed LE reports in some 20 cities - IIRC) which shows that in terms of actual stopping power, there is virtually no difference between a 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 357 sig, .40, or .45. The key term here is stopping power. If the thing is to stop the BG, then almost anything works. Big caveat, if the dude or dudette is on drugs (not mary jane, but PCP or similar), then all bets are off. Without a head (zombie) shot, you've still got trouble.

I hate to start another cal war - weeellll maybe not... :popcorn:

Like has been said repeatedly, here and elsewhere, shoot what you're comfortable with, and shoot accurately. You can solve most problems with that, even if all you have is a .22 short (h/t to Narsil in the Soap Box). :joker:

Reactions: Narsil
#9 ·
ETH77, I have no problem believing those findings to be true. Even Marshall et al spoke in terms of marginal improvements in probability. For me the big deal is that I really enjoy shooting the 357 in general.

Well, I say that. I'd still rather have the 357 on road trips.

xthexheadx, if you get word they're available, I'll be happy to put down a deposit in a 357 L.

#10 ·
I'd strongly consider it after shooting a 357sig.
like I said, no experience with it.

#14 ·
Bah, 4.33" barrel. A weak effort, adding 1/3rd inch. It needs a full 5" barrel. Steyr should have labeled it the XM-A1, instead of L-A1.

Now I really don't feel bad about buying an M&P .40 Pro for my 5" LTD gun.

#15 ·
Yeah... I'd prefer an L45 too. However, having said that I own a lot of full sized nines!

I'd really go for an L45 with a full 5" barrel, but I really like the sound of the L9 and will be adding one to the stable even if it is not the total ideal.

Ahhh. 357 sig.

Nice reading there, I did not know about that.

35 cents a round isn't to bad.

I'd still want it in a 45.
If I buy a full size pistol, I want full size impact.

I'm not familiar with 40's or 357sigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.