Hogue grip

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by RiceCakes, Jul 26, 2007.

1. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Was wondering what the concensus on this was from the hive mind. Was it the tool grip? Large or small? Anyone know if any stores carry it or is it online only?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You can order it from Hogue's website (I think small is what you want) or I can get them through work, but it's kind of a PITA. I'll check tomorrow to see if we have any in stock...

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Cakes :)

Here's a scan from the pkg the grips came in from Syntax*

[​IMG]

Tight Biatch to install, but my M357-A1 nor my S9-A1 could fit my hand any better. <shrug> I never could find them elsewhere so ifn *tax can get 'em to ya, don't hesitate. You won't regret it. Hava good one, Bro. :)

Wulf

4. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Thank you both very much! Let me know if you cant get them Syntx, and I'll order it. Love to support ya though ;)

5. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi RiceCakes and Wulf

A question: with the great ergonomics of both M and A1 pistols, what's the attraction of adding the Hogue grip? Do you both have large hands, and the new grip just feels better, or is there some other advantage? I've got small hands, and my M40-A1 fits my hand better than any pistol I've ever shot! What would a Hogue grip do for me? Thanks.

Dag

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

It should give it a better grip, instead of being slick, and should also act as a bit of a cushion for recoil. My fiancees hands are really small, and the frame is just wide enough to clip the bony part of her thumb. This grip may allow her to twist her grip just enough. At 6 bucks its worth trying.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Dag :)

I gotta grip sleeve from *tax for an S9-A1, that I got for my gal. She likes the rubber grip feel. (Don't go there. :roll: ) Anyway, I liked it enough to get another and put it on my M357-A1. Doesn't rally add that much to the diameter, but it does add a kind of "comfort" to the recoil thing goin' on. Try it. If ya don't like it, it didn't cost much and it ain'ta permanent-thing so ya can just pull it the Hell back off and call 'er good. <shrug> It really ain't rocket science ta get 'er installed and for a lotta shooters, havin' rubber grips just may make a difference...enough to make their shootin' experience justa hair more enjoyable. Just remember, "Its all about Me, Baby!" 8) Every firearm I've ever owned, hadda time when it was bone stock outta the box...a kindda canvas ta paint whatever the Hell I feel like paintin'. Sometimes its nice havin' an eraser. <grinnin'> Anyway, hava great weekend, Bro. :)

Wulf

8. steyrile

steyrile Member

Dag:
    The rubber grip makes my older m9 stickier and more positive to handle. Perhaps my porcelain-like skin is smoother than some but it really made a difference for me. I knew there was a problem first time I picked up the Steyr and soon wrapped rubber bands around the grip till I could find the original Hogue Handall I use now. Looking forward to getting a set of Hogue Sioux soon as I can. One less tub of Oil Of Olay moisturizer this month and I'll have the dough.
    :lol:
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Like everyone else already said - the Hogue tool grip doesn't add much more girth at all to the grip, but it definitely makes it stick to your hand a lot better. I used to notice the grip getting slick about 100 rounds into a range trip... Now it is a non-issue.

I just checked - I have 6 in stock. PM me if you want to go that route...

10. mrboma

mrboma Member

Grip Sleeve

Hands down the best accessory you can grab for your new Steyr. Got out to the range yesterday with the new grip sleeve and was OVERLY impressed with the shooting feel.

On another note (probably should move this) the junker ammo I got from a buddy fired FLAWLESSLY (150 rounds). My Steyr has not had a problem yet and I could not be happier.

Mike

11. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Houge and my GB

I purchased a Houge slip on for my GB and love it.
    I am waiting for my FFL to get my M40 later this week.
    I will get the Houge and will be looking for a small of the back concealed holster too.
    I think my universal shoulder rig will fit, but I have to wait for the gun first!!

Richard
    W2RAC

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Am I the only one cheap enough to use only skateboard tape? :oops:

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Not at all, I use grip tape on my XDs. Do you have pics of your gun with the grip tape?

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

No pics, but on my M9 I put 2 pieces (one above the other), along one side, across the back, and along the other side, so that it covered from just above the indentation at the bottom of the grip to just below the top of the Steyr logo. Then I put on piece of tape on the front strap below the finger groove. Then I put one piece on the left side of the frame where the slight thumb channel is below the slide release. Works well in the wet so far.

15. steyrile

steyrile Member

I recall at some point awhile back a template for the tape was available for downloading here at the SteyrClub.
    Things have changed and not being particularly computer savvy I may be missing that archive of older member pix and fun stuff like that. Maybe lost to the ages... :cry: but if I'm mistaken, somebody please hook me up.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

16. That grip is a life saver when you're out at an outdoor range in the summer heat and you get sweaty palms.

17. Dag

Dag Guest

Hogue Grips

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments. The Hogue slip-on sounds like a great solution. If I find I'm having grip problems, especially with sweaty palms, I'll give it a go, but so far, there just isn't anything I don't like about the way my M40-A1 fits my hand, and I don't think I'll mess with it. Nice to know, though, that it's available if needed.

Dag

18. nixon

nixon Member

hogue grip sleeve

Syntax,
    Is there a trick you can teach me to install the grip sleeve ? My thumb and fingers are hurting already and I still got about half an inch left. I folded that remaining portion of the sleeve to the grip so that it may loosen up and plan to leave it like that for 2-3 days maybe longer. I was thinking if the medium is the right fit. Please advise.

thanks,
    Nix,

19. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Nixon :)

"...let me make this perfectly clear...." :p

Get some cheap hairspray and spray the piss outta the inside of it, then slip it over your grip. Heheheeh...old injun trick. ;) Sorry 'bout your hurtin' thumb and fingers, Dude. :shock: Good luck! :)

Wulf <-- digs hairspray for grip sleeve installs

20. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Houge

Yup, I did the hair spray trick to install grips on handle bars on my sportster.

I got my NEW 40S&W Steyr today, I think I will hold off on the Houge for a bit, I like the feel just the way it is.
    Though I might try the st8r tape on the back of the grip, perhaps.