HK P30 review

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I'm sure it must be a decent gun, but has G&A ever not loved an advertiser's gun?

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing, SD. It does look like a vast improvement over HK's previous (excellent) design. Not sure I didn the whole spiderman ubertacticool look of this and the HK45, but I can't really comment until I get to play with one. Still, it'll have to be something REAL special for me to consider buying...

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I love H&K's the only problem is what they offer does not equal out with what they charge for one...for the money I would rather have a Sig or better yet a Kimber Stainless Compact 1911 with picatiny......

5. NicoX

NicoX New Member

I agree with U, I don´t know why HK used like USP or compact USP are so expensive.. if it was the best of the best I will pay for it.. but I think it´s not an exclusive gun..

I think this gun is more "futuristic" the design but ...

6. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I have a couple of HK's and I've gotten more than my moneys worth from each and every one! I also have a couple of Sigs and could say the same for them, but I give the edge to HK over Sig! Kimbers are nice, but slightly over-rated.

Oh yeah, I'm not real big on the new HK45, but I'll most likely pick up a P30! I just wish the the P30L would be released in The States! I really want onna Them! The P30 is gonna be about $800.
    _______
    mugdava

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Don't get me wrong I love HK, have ever since I first laid eyes on a P7M8 (?? or some number like that). But what they offer does not equal out to what they charge...well not when comparing to everything else that is available. And as for the sig...I don't like how it feels in my hand, I don't like how the trigger is smooth (talking about the actual surface) but somehow I can't shoot better with it, than any other handgun, I've tried.

To me if a gun has a natural agreement with you it's something special....because like Mirko Crocop once said....Everyone has a plan until they get hit....or in our case "everyone has a plan until they get shot at"....you can't put a value on something like that....

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I think that I'll wait for the HK45 no matter how much I'd love to own the 30.

9. alex

alex Guest

I have also read the review. Well take it with a grain of salt. One thing the writer said the P30 was the softest recoil 9mm pistol he ever fired. I don't think there is any truth to that. First, the grip on the P30 is not higher than that of the Steyr therefore the bore line is higher on the P30 than Steyr in relation to the shooter's hand and therefore the P30 should have more flip than Steyr. Second, the P30 is no heavier than the Steyr and therefore there is no recoil dampening weight advantage to the P30. Third, the grip angle on the P30 is not as naturally pointing as that on the Steyr this again wouldn't help reduce felt recoil.
    I do like the P30 other features such as DA/SA trigger, hammer decocker, and interchangable panels and grips.

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

As Steyr owners, we are privileged to enjoy the unique characteristics of a wonderful pistol that even most of the so-called expert gun writers are not aware of. How many reviews or even mentions of Steyr M or MA1 pistols have you seen in gun magazines? I've been an avid reader of gun magazines all of my life and for nigh unto 60 years never heard of Steyr until I just happened to pick up a magazine that had one of those rare MA1 reviews.

I would bet good money that the reviewer of the P30 has never shot a Steyr pistol and may have never seen one. Now, don't you feel privileged to be among the few who are "smarter than the average Glocker"?

:mrgreen:

11. nixon

nixon Member

right on netfotoj ! I myself was intrigued by steyr M series when I first found out about it. Never thought how underrated they are. Almost bought a G with a thought of replacing the barrel with an after market fully supported chamber but I stop right there and ask myself a question. Why do I need to spend another 180 dollar or so while I can get a Steyr. The rest is history.

Nixon,

12. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

There is a serious flaw in the P30's design IMHO.
    The decocking button is on the rear of the frame right where the slide recoils.

It is an accepted fact that all things man made eventually fail.
    Every once in a great while a well used DA/SA will fail while being decocked.
    Either through parts failure or fouling causing a AD.

Because of where HK put the decocker, at best your thumb will just get smacked hard,
    possibly get a laceration, worst you're going to loose your thumbnail.

+1 to SD for mentioning that there isn't an advertisers gun that G&A didn't like.

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Nice lookin' firearm, that P30. The modular style grip makes it very intriguing, me preferring smaller grips and all. <shrug> The trigger "feel" is what usually makes or breaks the deal for me...goes along with the inherent accuracy of the firearm, IMHO. As for the decockin' thing, well, I learned a lot w/ my Walther P99's. :roll: And they feel kinda safe ta carry 'round, knowin' that I gotta DA/SA pistol w/ 1 in the pipe just waitin' for me ta DA my way thru the 1st 100 yards a travel ta get to the "I only gotta little bit more ta pull the trigger now" part of my pullin' of the trigger ta get that 1st round off and away. :shock: Anti-stress my ass! :roll: I can tell ya now, if the trigger feel for the P30 is anything like my remaining Walther P99, I'll continue to admire the way it looks, but for sure, I ain't gonna put a buncha $ into a 'nuther safe queen. What I own and decide ta keep are shooters selected by me ta shoot...not safe queens that I on occasion, take out and admire but not shoot thinkin', "Dayam, if I shoot it, I'll hafta clean it all up again before I put it back in the safe! :shock: I just don't have that kind of $ for that kinda hobby. :( Now, if I hadda unlimited budget or some kinda sponsor like G&A, I suppose I'd hafta try one of each and shoot the piss outta 'em, then decide which ones ta get rid of. :twisted: Course my sponsors may be hesitant about sendin' me a new firearm for me ta review for a magazine article. :roll: Hmmmm...but then again.... :idea: Oh well.... Hava great weekend, Guys. :)

Wulf <-- sendin' his resume ta G&A on the off-chance.... :shock:

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I don't care what everybody says about you, Wulf, you're my kinda guy!

How a trigger feels is to me also the really crucial dealmaker/breaker with any firearm. I still can't believe I bought my first MA1 without ever even holding one in my hand, much less trying out the trigger. But I took that leap in the dark based on the near-unanimous opinion of the Steyroids here at the Club that the trigger is one of the best if not the best features of the MA1. I know there's a few dissenters, but opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got at least one and hardly anybody thinks their's stinks. :mrgreen: Finding unanimous opinions on almost anything is pretty nigh impossible.

In the case of the HK, Syntax's comment about his .45 USP's "crappy trigger" pretty much cured me of my desire for one of those pricey pistols. If a knowledgeable pistolero like Syntax has one and says the trigger sucketh...'nuff for me.

I've also revised my longheld lust for a Sig pistol after a comment or two or three I've read here from fellow Steyroids who own Sigs and say they like their Steyr trigger better. Never held or shot a Sig myself, so that's all I've got to go on so far.

Another pistol I've got on my list is the EAA Witness and I have yet to read a bad thing about one of those from several Steyroids. Haven't held or shot one of those either, so good words I trust will help make that decision.

And while I'm naming "dream pistols" on my list, I've been watching for comments on FNP pistols, particularly about the triggers, but haven't seen any FNP owners respond on that topic when I've brought it up. The new FNP .45 ACP is due out anytime and with 13/14-round capacity, it's definitely on my "baddest pistol" list. How about it, any FNP experts in the house? :?:

I know I count myself very fortunate to be a part of this online community that has taught this novice a lot about pistols in a short time. Prior to joining here, I thought if it wasn't a 1911 design .45 ACP, it wasn't a "real pistol." :shock: The only exception I had made to that rule was for 10mm, based on Jeff Cooper's advice on that caliber.

And you couldn't have run fast enough to give me a 9mm pistol, much less sell me one. Now I own two. Thanks for the education, guys, I'm a slow learner but I'm picking it up bit by bit as I go. Keep the good advice flowing. :mrgreen:

15. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I'm fairly certain Syntax has a USPc 45(stainless!!!), as opposed to a full size USP. I don't have much experience w/ USP Compacts, but my USPf 45 came w/ an excellent trigger. Of course I put a Match trigger in it because I was making a Match clone, otherwise I'd of left that stock trigger just the way it was! :wink:

Yep, I'm Your Huckleberry! I'm in the "my Steyr has a better trigger than my Sig!" club. If Your gonna get a Sig, get one w/ the improved trigger(shortened reset, etc.!). The triggers w/ the shortened rest are just WAY better!

My odds on pickin' up a P30 just dropped drastically, as I purchased a new M9-A1 from CDNN. That kinda fills my need for another 9mm pistol, unless of course, I get rid of the Ruger :twisted:
    _______
    mugdava

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

IMHO, 1st pistol manufacturer that puts a SA feelin' trigger inna DA/SA composite, hicapper 357 SIG compact double stacker w/ a modular grip and tri-trap night sights wins!!! :p

Wulf <-- bein' very serious :shock:

17. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

FIXED :lol:

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! 357 Sig RULES! :mrgreen:

And like Wulf, I'm serious as a heart attack. I'd buy one of those "SA feelin' trigger inna DA/SA composite, hicapper 357 Sig compact double stacker w/ a modular grip and tri-trap night sights" pistols in a New York minute.

19. nixon

nixon Member

Net,
    you must be talking bout' a Steyr Sa-1 in 357 sig !! Almost in the s/a trigger feel. Depending on how much you practice, as in any other sports, and how good you adapt, it should serve you well. Every piece is different in feel and how you react to it and make adjustments is key to getting good with what you have in your hand for that very moment. So, when you shoot a Sig, shoot it as a Sig, etc. of course only my opinion.

nix,

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Precisely, my dear Watson, er, Nixon, whatever.

Yes, I would love to have a S357-A1! I just hope to live long enough for Steyr to bring this long-rumored wonder to life. After all, I just hit the big Six-Oh, so how much longer do I have to wait?

Of course, I'd also love to see a 10mm SA1, MA1 or even a new mlarge-frame Steyr which I shall presume to call the "L10" model. Or an L357-A1!

Maybe SHOT 2008 will bring some of my dreams to reality. Now if only a rich uncle would die and leave me a potful of money so I can buy all the guns I want. As Zell Miller said, I've already got more guns than I need, but I don't have as many guns as I want. And I might add, I sincerely doubt I ever will. :mrgreen: