Hi friends! Greetings from Islamabad.

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by AK47, Dec 17, 2011.

1. AK47

AK47 New Member

Hi!

Hope you're fine, all of you. AK47 here. Found this quite promising site during random searches and thought why not say hello!

I am from Islamabad and love guns, it's my primary hobby and supreme passion.

I'm a senior member of our probably only 2 sites over here, www.PakGuns.com and thegunforum.net. We're a community of roughly 5000 members so far and just about 2 years old. PakGuns.Com is a very well-knit brotherhood of like-minded people and gun enthusiasts from Pakistan.

Sadly, our gun market is pretty limited and quite expensive, so pursuing this sports and hobby is not the common Joe's pleasure in Pakistan. A Glock 17 goes for roughly US$3500, Steyr M9A1 for about $2500, and we pay around a dollar for each FMJ round leaving the muzzle end! Hence, it's quite a financially burdensome affair over here, keeping the right guns & ammo!

My modest collection is as follows:

Handguns:

1) CZ Rami 2075D (9mm)

2) Stoeger Cougar 8000F (9mm)

3) Taurus PT 1911 (.45 ACP)

4) Taurus Mil Pro PT 145 (.45ACP)

5) Sarsilmaz Kininc 2000L (9mm)

6) Chinese TT.

I intend 2 more here, one "Safe-Action" type, Glock/Caracal/Steyr, whichever.

Shotguns:

3 ( 1, semi auto, 12 Gauge, 1 pump action, 1 side-by-side.)

Rifles:

FN 30-06.

Assault rifles:

AK47, both Russian AKM's.

Looking forward to learning lots from you guyz.

Take care.

Regards.

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub. Here's hoping we can get our Governments talking civilly again.

I'm guessing making a trip to the Khyber Pass isn't exactly a safe way to acquire weapons ;-)

3. khoff

khoff New Member

AK47, it is really COOL to have you aboard. that is some very interesting info on gun and ammo prices where you live. i love that part of the world and wish i could visit someday. i wonder if your akm's are full or semi auto. i also heard that a traditional curry dish can contain as many as 20 to 30 different spices. we pay between 500 to 600 for a new glock and 400 to 600 for a new steyr. i think the steyr's are better built guns. glocks QC has not been very good the last couple of years. i think they rushed the gen4 models on us without enough RD. good to have you ,i will check out your links to Pakguns.com .

4. AK47

AK47 New Member

@khoff............Thanks a lot bro for the kind words and welcome, appreciated!

You're most welcome, anytime, and big time lolzzzzzzzz on the 30 spices, hahaha! The problem over here is just that the politics contains 10 fold of those spices and usually the "dish" is thrown out by the military strong men, so leading to instabilities, also with respect to arms policies, licenses, gun market, etc. Yeah, I personally love hot food as well.

My Ak's are full auto bro, will share here, if allowed, any day convenient. Gotta scroll through the forums first, to see what you guys allow and don't allow.

And sure, you're welcome to check around PakGuns.com, going through the recent purchases in our "what have you bought thread", you'll get a fairly descriptive picture of how we're coping with these exorbitant prices to manage pursuit of this great hobby over here. Thanks again for the welcome.

@ETH77 ...........Thank you too bro, welcome appreciated. And lol! The Khyber pass is one dangerous area to venture upon these days, and we only go to have the prohibited bore requirement met over there. The non-prohibited bore categories are satisfied in hub of legal weapons, Lahore.

Regards.

5. Twinkie

Twinkie New Member

Nice to hear from your part of the world!

I am really jealous that you have full auto guns easily, but how terrible at your gun prices!

I hope you stay safe and get a Caracal or Steyr soon!

6. AK47

AK47 New Member

Thanks. Yes, we so far do have the provisions to be entitled full auto weapons. As of such, I'm the holder of 2 prohibited bore licenses, usually sanctioned by the top most authorities only.

You cannot expect to be able to do your defense or home guard proportionately/effectively enough with semi-auto weapons only, when there's so much of illegal auto weapons crossing in from Afghanistan and lands in the hands of outlaws. So, for the time being at least, this is allowed on special prohibited bore licenses. The future however is not so promising, so we're enjoying this privilege - those of us who can - as far as it can last.

As for the prices of traditional weaponry, handguns, shotguns, rifles, etc, the exorbitant prices over here in Pakistan are basically due to US embargo restrictions, applying to weapons coming in from the US or European countries. Brazil, Turk and Czech imports are reasonably priced, still, at some $500 to 1000, the expensive ones being the CZ handguns. That too, because there's just one importer of CZ handguns, who is truly enjoying monopoly and a price setting freedom.

I have always been more inclined towards traditional DA/SA trigger mechanisms and steel handguns, yet feel, for the sake of a complete collection, I do need and would want one "Safe Action" Glock type of a handgun too, as to have one in poly frame also.

Seriously considering the Caracal C, which just got introduced over here @US$1500. The Glock goes for $3500 and Steyr M9 is for roughly $2500. Hence, I'm pretty inclined towards the Caracal C, just not fully convinced still of it's finishing quality, plasox slide vs tennifer, etc. This led me to this great site. Looking forward to some inputs on this.

Thanks again for the welcome gesture, appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. khoff

khoff New Member

i have not handled a caracel so can not comment on quality. but i do believe that glocks QC [quality control] is not what it used to be. that said , i personaly believe that the Steyr's are more quality and precision built guns. i own 3 steyr m9s- two m9a1s, one older m9. they are very different from the glock. the steyrs run on a all steel sub-chasis. the glocks rails are molded into the plastic frame so one gets much more frame flexing during firing. i carry a glock 17 daily. the g17 and the -my favorite- g20 10mm are the only glocks i can in good contience recommend . but i believe it costs more to build a steyr than a glock,so, i think the steyr is a more quality built gun. it is just that here in the US we have access to so many different guns at such great prices we are somewhat spoiled. the steyrs are tennifered also i believe. glocks also have a much longer trigger pull. all 3 of my steyrs have exellent short, crisp triggers. i would like to check out the new Walther PPQ, and i would like a H&K usp 9mm but have never been impressed with the quality of H&K

8. khoff

khoff New Member

oops hit wrong key. never been impressed with the quality of H&K magazines and they are way over priced.

9. Twinkie

Twinkie New Member

Please do!

The PPQ is a very nice gun with a great trigger, build quality, and ergonomics.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The Steyr pistols are nice, but the Caracal feels like a more refined evolution of the platform. I haven't had both long enough to speak about the finish (my Steyr has held up just fine to daily carry for a few years now), but if I could only have one, it would be the Caracal.

11. AK47

AK47 New Member

@Syntax360...........Thanks Syntax360 bro, I was just checking the full 12 pages of your eloquently explained impressions of the Caracal F, and I must say, I found it a great source of inspiration, even to the extent that I called up the Caracal distributor here and told him to arrange me one that I could pick up, somewhere close to my home base, since the only dealer distributing it is situated some 1500kms to the south from here!

I was told he would look into it and reply today, deeming it may be possible to freight it to another dealer some 400kms away only, and that would be great. Let's see, I'm totally motivated for the buy, though I requested for the stainless slide, which sadly isn't available here for now. I'll check the blued one if he manages sending it over, probably sometimes during X-mas holidays. Your in-depth review really helped getting me to this decision.

I was just wondering not to see any more inputs there in your review? No more progress, shooting from your side?

As for the finishing issues, I feel you've still had it long enough to give some opinion on the plasox finishing, any issues so far? You also mentioned something about debris getting into that hole on the rear plate, showing position of the striker, any bad experience so far?

Kindly attend my petty queries and thanks again for some inspiring work in that review of yours.

Btw, I have decided to take the C model.

Regards.

12. coolbox

coolbox New Member

Look who we have here! Surprise surprise. Welcome to Steyr club AK47 bro. I am waiting for the prices to get lower to $800-1000/-, then the Caracal would be a good buy. The F can be had in Karachi for PKR 110k ($1250/-) as of today. enjoy your stay here.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I really wish I had a C - the F carries fine, but a C would melt right into the hip I think. I've never had any issues with debris in the striker channel and I would be stunned if that became an issue - there are so few moving parts on these guns and they are built like tank. The finish has held up just fine, but I haven't been carrying it as much as I would like. For whatever reason (loyalty, familiarity, who knows?), my M9A1 is still my primary carry pistol. If I had a C, I'm sure this would change.

To be honest, I haven't really updated my initial review because it seemed like there wasn't a huge response or a lot of interest in it. It still gets shot every time I go to the range, and it still hasn't choked on anything. I wish I had a threaded barrel for it, and I wish parts were plentiful and available for sale here in the States. I wouldn't change anything else - Bubits really outdid himself with these guns.

14. AK47

AK47 New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Syntax bro, appreciated. And don't worry about lacking interest in this handgun over here, myself and a fellow bro I just noted is here too with the nick of "coolbox", will ensure to throw plenty of curve balls onto you on the Caracal, before we manage laying our gun-greedy hands on this wonderful piece, so pray we manage getting it fast enough, as to spare your good self of endless queries, lol! Thanks for the cooperation, and nice to see that there's at least one hole around in this world that doesn't allow foreign things in so easily, lol!

You seem satisfied with the plasox finishing, so I'll probably take the black one, don't really have the patience to wait it out for the SS slide.

@Coolbox..............No doubts, "it's a small world", lol! Nice to see you found me here too and thanks for the phone call. Yes, as per my talks with those Caracal guyz in Karachi, F model is being offered at $1250. I am trying to get the C for the same price, let's see what happens, but please don't be unrealistic, it's not a Taurus but a Bubit design, so expecting it to come down to $800 over here is a bit unrealistic, you know our local gun market trends, and then it's not gonna be an item on every shelf so far, most likely someone is gonna "monopolize" it's imports, just like the CZ's have a single importer. Let's see what happens, will stay in touch with you.

Regards.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm not sure how things are in your pocket of the globe, but there are a lot of companies that can do slide refinishing and hard-chroming over here. Changing the slide finish might not be terribly difficult if you decide the Plasox must go, if your local laws allow for shipping the slide out. :cheers:

16. AK47

AK47 New Member

Lol! That's exactly the trouble here, things hardly manage "in", so leave the question altogether of letting them "out" again. The possibilities of sending out are low, if not non-existent. Had this been possible, we could have claimed the warranty services for items purchased over here. Would you believe me that we pay the price of 7 Glocks for 1 ($3500 vs $500), and then even don't get the warranty attached? LOL! Same goes for other makes, like Taurus, etc, which otherwise offers life-time warranty over there with you guyz.

The importer told me over the phone yesterday that with the Caracal I'd be getting a year's warranty services, as kind of first time event over here. He was basically trying to justify the $1250 price tag.

But, as regards the finishing, if you haven't had a scar on yours in a year's time, with supposedly quite a number of draws/reholsterings, range use, etc, I think the plasox would be fit to go.

I must say, regardless of the aesthetics of SS slided handguns, black does have it's own charm and looks more natural on guns.

Regards.

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

So far, mine is still pretty much mint. One of our European users did competition shooting with his and the finish did get pretty chewed up, but that sort of thing is going to be highly variable depending on the holster used and a host of other factors. They were designed to be used in parts of the globe with pretty harsh conditions, so I trust Bubits and his crew chose an appropriate finish treatment.

18. khoff

khoff New Member

i did some research on the plasox finish. it seems to be a low temperature[400-500 degrees fah] nitrogen,hydrogen,methane metal treatment. i think it is different than tenifer which i believe only works on carbon steel. the Caracal has a stainless steel slide i think. maybe plasox is for stainless steels. the prices you all pay for guns i can understand your concern with the durability of the finish. BUT, no glock is worth 3500.00 dollars. that is an Outrage. i would seriously consider the steyr and save some money and buy some AMMO. can you reload ? i mean do you have access to reloading equipment there ? do they sell it i guess is what i am trying to say.

19. coolbox

coolbox New Member

They way we keep our $3500guns, we need worry about scratches! They are padded up like babies! But still, yes, a friend has a service (duty issued) Glock17, and it has held up pretty well for 15,000 rounds, although only nylon/leather holsters were used, no kydex or polymer.

the reloading equipment is BIG grey area. It is not readily available here. We need to import, a couple of guys got their stuff, and one has a shipment stuck at customs (they think it is gun making equipment LOL)

I think in this price scenario, Caracal is the best buy. have seen steyr m9a1 (my boss's) cough up on chinese ammo (long OAL), but that is in first 150 rounds only.

20. khoff

khoff New Member

i am sure the Caracal is a solid value. everyone here in usa who has handled , owns, or shot a Caracal is very impressed. they seem to say it is a evolution up from the steyr. and yes the chinese ammo may be out of spec, but 150 rds is not enough to break in a gun. i myself have yet to see a Caracal in real life. i know if i do i will want one. they are only 500 to 600 dollars here in usa. it seems like it would be a profitable venture to start a reloading equipment buisness or gun parts buisness there .