Hi all, new to the forum and new to my Steyr M9 :)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BTF/PTM, Aug 4, 2007.

1. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

Hello everyone,

I recently added a Steyr to my arsenal, it's a M9A1 and man what a nice gun! I love the way it feels, it's balanced just right and fits in my hand perfectly. I bought it purely because I liked the sights and because it's different from the usual Glock and Springfield crowd here in Southern California. Sometimes it's good to be unique :D

I've got about 130 rounds thru the gun, and only once did it hiccup when it failed to eject a spent casing. Otherwise it's been flawless, very accurate and perfectly smooth in operation. I know any new gun is going to require a break-in, so the single ejection failure doesn't concern me this early in the game.

There is only one question I do have about it, and again it seems to be a minor concern. Sometimes, if I insert a full magazine with enough force, it will unlock the slide and it slams home and loads the gun before I give the command to do so. A worker at the local range says it's probably just me using too much force to load the magazine and that a couple of his own guns will do that too. Anyone else have this little quirk with their Steyr?

This seems like a good forum to be on, I'm on a forum for just about everything else I own as well (my 1911 pistol, my shotgun and my sportbike all have their own forums that I post on), so I look forward to talkin to everyone and learning about my new Steyr!

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Virtually any modern semi-automatic polymer pistol will drop the slide if you ram the mag home - it is quite common. My Sigs, HKs, etc. all do the same thing. Welcome to the club! You picked up a fine pistol - keep us posted with your impressions of it. 8)

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Youse guys, as they say up north of the Mason-Dixon line, must be much manlier men than I am because I've never had my M357-A1 to slam the slide home when I insert a mag. Guess I'm not using enough horsepower!

Sounds like a feature, not a bug, to me -- as they say at Microsoft. :mrgreen:

If the SHTF and I have to do a "combat reload" then maybe I'll have enough juice flowing to enjoy this "feature!" :shock:

4. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

I think it's a habit I picked up with my 1911, actually. The big ol' steel pig with the 8-round single stack often requires some heft to get the mag to catch. I do love me some 1911's 8)

Another question relating to the new Steyr; did you guys notice a difference in operation once the gun was officially "broken in"? For example, the 1911 did have a noticable smoothness to it after it was polished in after about 500 rounds.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey I'm a noob too. So far, I'm very happy with mine.

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Welcome.
    Unfortunately I can only get half my guns to slam release; makes for much faster mag changes.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Just be sure you aren't betting on it happing every time - always train to slingshot it, just in case the one time it doesn't do it is when you need it most...

8. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

^ actually one thing i really really like about the Steyr is the fact that the slidestop button is way at the back of the slide where my thumb can reach it. On many other guns I've used (including every 1911 out there) it seems like that button is impossible to reach with the trigger hand unless you're an ogre with gigantic hands, it always requires reaching across with the supporting hand. Steyr definitely thought that one through.

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Mine has slam loaded almost every mag Ive loaded. I love it. Makes it that much quicker. Of course, I slam it in there pretty hard. Even if it doesnt slam load, Im lefty, so my trigger finger makes short work of the slide release :twisted:

About the only time it doesnt load that way is if im nice or its cold. Maybe Im just a weenie when Im cold.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've actually gotten to the point that i do depend on mag insertion to release the slide. i love it. it allows me to keep my support hand close to the frame immediately after a reload instead of slingshotting it.

you guys know why it happens? do you care?

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BT :)

OK, I'll bite. How come, Bro? :shock:

Wulf <-- wishes his M357-A1 and S9-A1 came with that feature.

12. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

well... the mag spring pushes the top round in the mag up, pushing the slide up.

so... the slide locks open after the last round.

when you insert the mag slowly, the top round pushes up on the slide. the slide lock merely pivots upwards with the slide and friction between the slide lock and slide is not overcome.

when you slam a mag home, the top round pushes the slide up so quickly that the slide lock slips just enough for it's spring to pull it down, allowing the slide to go forward.

using the slide lock to release the slide over and over again will polish these surfaces improving the likelyhood of this.