Hi all, I'm about to become a steyr owner

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ryoko, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Hi all,

If an auction goes well, I'll be getting a nib m40-a1. :) If the auction does not go well...... then I'll just have to bid elsewhere or ask you all for some good places to buy from. I have a glock 23 right now, and it does not look like there will be much of a transition. I'm curious how many of you concealed carry your Steyers? I'm sure it won't take much time to break it in. From what I've read they are reliable and will fit that role pretty well. Are there any 'must have' upgrades or is it good out of the box.

-Ry

2. brolin_1911a1

brolin_1911a1 New Member

I have the S9 and it's replaced my Taurus PT140 for concealed carry. Dang it! That Taurus was ideal but the Steyr just fits the hand better and feels lighter even though the specs say they weigh the same.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My Steyr is my favorite CCW piece. For some upgrade ideas, see these threads: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0.

4. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi ryoko

Welocme to Steyr Club! :D You've come to the right place if you want to learn all there is to know about Steyr pistols. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to check out the tutorials on the club home page. Enjoy!

Dag

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If they haven't sold out yet, http://cdnnsports.com/ is the best deal on the planet for M9A1s and M40A1's at $350. Give them a call. Their site sucketh, but their person-to-person service is great. Don't judge a book by its cover.

You won't be sorry you bought a Steyr. Best pistol for the bucks anywhere. Be smarter than the average glocker. :mrgreen:

6. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Thanks all,

Net, if I do not win the auction I'll certainly look at cdnn. They really do have a poor website, but from comments I saw browsing here I now know where any accessorys will be from. Syntax, thanks for ths upgrade links. I'll be looking at them now.

:)

-Ryoko

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Best upgrade you can do is the famous BT polish. Although I dont know if it applies to the newer models. And it depends on whether the trigger is creepy. And yes it is my carry weapon, and my only pistol. I will probably get one for the wife as soon as funding allows, then Im happy. One day I will own that Kimber 45, but I will still CCW the Steyr. IMHO the customed-out 4 digit guns are really the only "cool" ones to shoot anymore, anyway. And Ive whored around the gun club enough to shoot a fair amount of pieces.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Let us know as soon as you land one.

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Big Taco's famous trigger polish does indeed help the new models. I recently visited Pittsburgh and got the trigger maestro himself to work his magic on my M357-A1, plus a new stainless steel, black anodized, captured spring guide rod. I highly recommend both to any Steyr pistol owner, M or MA1 models. My trigger wasn't creepy, but it's a lot smoother and quicker now than when it was stock, so BT's trigger polish will definitely help any Steyr model.

10. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Yeah I remember about a year and a half ago doing it off his tutorial. About the same time I sent it in for a trigger bar replacement. As far as the SS guide rod, Im going to have to bug him about that :)
    At least, as soon as the next paycheck comes in!

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Another big +1 for BT polish and guide rod. The guide rod adds some nice weight to the front and is a quality piece. The trigger job will smooth it out, though at last check BT expressed some real concerns with performing the task as an open service to club members. I'm sure he'll chime in momentarily and let us know whether or not he's interested in it. We used to have a tutorial on the website, but we lost it at last forum upgrade and I suspect it's gone forever...

12. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Well, if anyone locates info on it I really would appreciate it.

I did win the auction, and my Steyr is now in transit to my local FFL. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: ok, I found some info in this post incase others are looking: https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ght=polish

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats.
    Range report to follow?

14. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Well basically you pull the slide apart, to get to the firing pin. Inside there is a rod with a weight that captures a spring. Pull off that weight (carefully). You polish the rod really well with 1000 grit sandpaper, vertically. The you polish the weight inside to get it really smooth too. Put the weight back on the rod (the bevel goes away from the spring) and give it a little squeeze with some smooth pliars (dont put burrs into it). If you want, sanding the spring on the outside helps sometimes. And oiling everything with some Mil-tech, leaving it for about 10 minutes, then wiping off the excess will condition the metal nicely also. Just dont put it back together with a lot of oil, or it will hydrolock. If you tell us what city, you might find someone whoes done it that can help.

Oh yeah, and no one is responsible for damage, loss of parts, blah blah disclaimer. Use your best judgement.

15. Dag

Dag Guest

CDNN

The only problem is that CDNN won't ship guns to California, even to a dealer :cry: , one other state too, as reported elsewhere (NJ?).

Dag

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

And if you live in TX, sales tax, shipping, AND transfer fee usually negate the deep discount on virtually all CDNN firearms. :evil: