Herr Bubits are you paying attention?

Discussion in 'Ask Bubits' started by schgsd, Jan 15, 2015.

1. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

I Quote... And from the article I suspect you can gather that I think it would be very smart to try to have a Steyr to submit Ja?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

There's no way Steyr could handle something like this. As it stands, they don't even have a pistol that would be in the running - virtually all their competitors bring more to the table in terms of adjustable ergos, optic compatibility, etc. Also, isn't one of the requirements a domestic manufacturing plant capable of the sort of production runs that a contract like this would necessitate?

3. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

I agree. Unfortunately, as good of a pistol that Steyr makes, and as much as we like them, there's no way Steyr could come up to the production levels that a contract like this would require, not without serious capital investment, training, and manufacturing capacity, in the time frame that is needed.

Just not possible at this point. :eek:(

4. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

As much as I'd be happy to see Steyr factories ramped up to the size needed to supply our military I'm not thinking that. I'd envision a more Eugene Stoner kind of outcome. Caracal apparently had some hot looking stuff at SHOT2015. If Herr Bubits is behind what was shown there why not try to come up with a design that eventually is sold to a Colt or S&W that has the manufacturing capability?

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I suppose anything is possible, but I still chalk it up to being a total pipe dream. S&W would have no trouble selling their existing designs. The industry is a crowded playing field right now - just about every manufacturer has gotten off top dead center and started making at least one really great striker-fired, ergonomic pistol. It's a good time to be a shooter. :thumbsup:

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I like My Steyrs, I like my M&Ps. I would love to see an M&P in .45 win. If it actually happens.

7. Polecat

Polecat New Member

If you go back in the Bubits posts, he alludes to a new design he is working on. This sound like a fully modular design, unique, not like a Sig P250, but wherein you could have 1 base gun and change grips and dust covers and calibers. He did not elaborate on the Company. Interestingly I did find a recent pistol patent with Merkel that he designed that uses a "rolling locker" system for recoil managment. Merkel and HK, I believe are somehow related, but who knows what this means.

Steyr was supposed to be desiging a .45 and ultra compact pistol a few years ago, but sounds like they have dropped the ball. Ya know I just think it is their culture to enter into endeavors half assed. Just really short sided.

8. tenchu74

tenchu74 Member

That would be great if Bubits could sell a design to Colt. They really could use a win right now. A pistol they could market to law enforcement as well as any upcoming military trials.

9. Polecat

Polecat New Member

I think with the SIG P320 and P250 modularity, and now the Beretta APX, others will have to step up their game. I hope S&W brings out a new design with full modularity. HK, Glock would need something as well.

10. Bittrich

Bittrich Premium Member

Steyr has its hands more than full filling Eastern European (Police/Military?)orders. While I do not know for sure, my guess is Poland and or one or more of the Baltic States. They can thank Mr. Putin for that.

Bittrich

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  11. revjen45

revjen45 Member

I would like to the M,S,C,& L in .45.