Help with Optics and Rings for SSG 69 PII

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by HonoluluBlue, Mar 4, 2014.

1. HonoluluBlue

HonoluluBlue New Member

I have an SSG 69 PII and my friend has an older Hensoldt ZF 800 10 X 42MM he acquired in a lot of 5 scopes purchased from the inventory of a fine gun shop that had gone out of business. My question is was this the optic that came with this rifle? I am not all that interested in optic other than for the purpose of putting together a "period correct" rifle. Also, any help on the correct scope rings for this particular optic that would have come with it..isnt this a 26MM tube so 1" rings might be a little tight?

Any thoughts on a fair price for the optic? The box has a price tag of $949.99 but again these came from a fine gun shop that went out of business and was purchased from its old inventory so who knows how many years ago that retail price was attempted. Im thinking something like $300 might be fair?

2. swamphunter

swamphunter New Member

This is one of the scopes that could have been put on a proper military SSG69.
    This would have come on a later model. It should be a 26mm tube, and the rings will work on 26mm or 1 inch.
    Your SSG69 PII should have the integral rail for Steyr rings, which you can still buy from them.

The earlier standard scope would be one of the Kahles, like the ZF6 6x42.

3. Greengunner

Greengunner New Member

The U.S. importer sold them with Kahles ZF series scopes with 26 mm tubes & proprietary, quick-detach, rings that matched the rifle's finish.

You can mount a 1 inch tube in them with shims but I would not try to install a 26 mm tube in 1 inch rings.

Steyr currently offers SSG rings for 1 inch & 30 mm tubes.

I have some SSG brochures from the old Gun South days, I could send you copies. Mike.

4. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

The Hensoldt came on the package rifles.

I still have a PII with that optic mounted on the rifle as it came from GSI.

5. swamphunter

swamphunter New Member

This would be one of the correct period scopes, but I don't know if it was ever pert of a package. You should contact Steyr. Call and talk with them.

Many SSG 69s came with no scope.

Mine came with a Kahles 5x42 ZF.

You should grab this Hensoldt because it is super glass. $2,000+ to equal it today.
    My 4x Hensoldt iis plenty good for 600 meters,