Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined here. I’ve been shooting my beloved Steyrs for about six years now. They are the best guns that no one in the US has ever heard of. Occasionally I’ll see someone with a Steyr at the range and we will start talking. They are instantly recognizable. I have both the M9A1 and the M40A1. There are some of my favorite guns and anyone who’s ever shot them walks away feeling a little bit crappier about their Glock‘s ;-)

I have a problem that i’ve been unable to solve for quite a while.

My M9A1 has two 17 rnd mags. I also have a 10 round magazine but it’s too short to fit in the gun. It looks like it’s a California magazine but it doesn’t have the floor plate. The one that’s like an inch high that allows it to fit in the full size M9.

i’ve been looking everywhere to buy a “California floorplate” but I haven’t been able to find one and perhaps I’m using the wrong word to describe what need.

does anyone here know what I’m talking about and where I can find one?

‘thanks

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
I’ve always just called them base plates, but outside of calling up Steyr directly or seeing if a Steyr armorer can order one from Steyr I am not sure I have seen anything. There use to be some plus 2 base plates around but those were 3D printed and I haven’t seen any in a long time. Maybe others have better information but my normal go to for gun parts all come up empty on Steyr A1 pistols

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve always just called them base plates, but outside of calling up Steyr directly or seeing if a Steyr armorer can order one from Steyr I am not sure I have seen anything. There use to be some plus 2 base plates around but those were 3D printed and I haven’t seen any in a long time. Maybe others have better information but my normal go to for gun parts all come up empty on Steyr A1 pistols
There are flanges at the bottom of the magazine that would prevent adding any more rounds. I think that’s the whole point of a California magazine. But a +2 might add the legnth I need for it to fit in the grip.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you probably have the 10 round magazines for S model not the C,M,L .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you probably have the 10 round magazines for S model not the C,M,L .
I think you’re right. But it is identical to my friends California mag with the exception of the base plate. Can that be converted to be used for the M?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think you’re right. But it is identical to my friends California mag with the exception of the base plate. Can that be converted to be used for the M?
Not the S mag they are uniquely For that model only . When comparing it to a standard 10 round 40 mag or you're normal M9 immagazine the S1 will have about an inch and a 1/2 or 2" piece of plastic towards the bottom.
The normal California compliant magazines for the M9/ M40 or C9/C40 or L9/L40 are basically a 10 round 40cal magazine in size and shape .
You can use a 40 mag and load it with 9mm its 80 to 90% go to good , if you adjust the lips of the mag to 9mm your 98% good , just DON'T ever change it back to 40cal If because we feed lips will be too weak to be safely used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the S mag they are uniquely For that model only . When comparing it to a standard 10 round 40 mag or you're normal M9 immagazine the S1 will have about an inch and a 1/2 or 2" piece of plastic towards the bottom.
The normal California compliant magazines for the M9/ M40 or C9/C40 or L9/L40 are basically a 10 round 40cal magazine in size and shape .
You can use a 40 mag and load it with 9mm its 80 to 90% go to good , if you adjust the lips of the mag to 9mm your 98% good , just DON'T ever change it back to 40cal If because we feed lips will be too weak to be safely used.
OK I made a mistake the mag is not a 9 mm but is actually a 40S&W. It looks like it was made for the subcompact model because it is very short. But the top of the magazine looks identical to my other 40 caliber magazines. It’s just too short to fit in the grip. My thought is if I can get one of those floor plates that adds about an inch of legnth to the magazine, it would work in the M40A1. When I look at my friends California magazine that’s exactly what it looks like: an S magazine with an inch high solid polymer floorplate. Are you saying even if I was able to get a hold of one of these, the magazine would not work in the M 40?

Rectangle Cylinder Metal Tints and shades Automotive lighting

Electronic component Rectangle Gas Cylinder Circuit component

1 - 7 of 7 Posts