Help with decision between m9 and m9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by GarageXTi, Jan 21, 2007.

1. GarageXTi

GarageXTi Guest

I've been searching for a defense-style hand gun for a bit now, with Steyr being near the top of my list. HK and Sig are pretty much out of my price range, and I am not a big fan of the Glock (having owned a few). This makes the decision to buy Steyr pretty easy, but can those with experience handling the M series and M-A1 series give me some good advice?

The situation is basically as follows:

I've found a brand new M9 (low-cap mags though) For $300, which seems to be a good price at the moment for this older style model (and ridiculously cheap for such a well-crafted weapon). This gun essentially drops right into my hand, and felt better than anything else I have touched in my search. The M&P was a close second.

As for M-A1's, I haven't been able to find one to handle. I actually like the integrated pic rail, but it's tough to know how much different it will feel as compared to the M series, as I know the grip has been redesigned. I'm guessing that i'll pay a minimum of $150 more for an A1 as compared to the $300 deal I found at current pricing (checked internet pricing since I can't find any local).

So what's a guy to do? Or, what would those that have experience with both pieces do? Should I wait, drive further to find an A1 to make sure I like its feel as much as the M; hoping that the $300 deal doesn't pass me by? Should I just buy the M series since most of the "important" parts seem interchangeable with the newer A1 (hopefully staving obsolescence)?

From my research on here, it seems as though some prefer the M's over the A-1's, but a lot of people dig the grip redesign. This, of course makes my situation here even more difficult...

So what do you all think?

thanks in advance...

2. ikorman

ikorman New Member

The older M9 is a great gun but I like the M9A1 better. So, I kept my S9 and sold the older M9 to get a newer M9A1 model. Truthfully, I should have kept the M9 because they will only go up in value.

So, my real answer is GET BOTH. Buy the M9 for $300 and shoot it. It's not like they will get any cheaper and you will be kicking yourself when they aren't available for under $500.

After that, when you see a deal on M9A1, grab it. If then you are certain you like the A1 design better, sell the older one.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *XT* :)

$300 for an M Series is a fair price and not uncommon. And, with the M-A1's becoming more popular, I expect a few more of them will become available in that same price range for a while longer. I've handled both the M and M-A1 grips and they are exceptional point and shooters. I do prefer te M-A1 grips to the older M Series, but I'm not particularly fond of the integrated rail on my M357-A1. I won't be using it as a platform for accessories so I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been incorporated in the grip frame. Fact is, I actually trimmed the front part of the rail off so it wouldn't catch on the draw. <shrug> I'm not interested in its resale and I don't mind adjusting things to fit my druthers. I would suggest that you take the time to put the M-A1 in your hand to see whether or not you like the grip better, enough to shell out the xtra $. Good luck. :)

Wulf

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It's just a matter of personal preference. I would personally spend the extra coin to get a new A1, mostly because I think it looks infinitely better than the original. I do like the manual safety on the original M, though.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Garage, I'd have a real hard time passing on $300 for a new M9. I happily paid that for a used one in pristine condition (with ten rounders, a CA gun). Sure, you'll want to get full capacity mags, but those ten rounders will be nice for the range.

I also have an M9-A1 that I picked up after the M9, and the two guns are different enough that I can easily justify owning both.

All things considered, a Steyr is a solid investment and one darn fine handgun, be it the old or new version. Of course, if you want a gun with a light, the M9's rail, proprietary to Steyr, will be an issue, but a hoop that can be jumped through.

Buzz

6. GarageXTi

GarageXTi Guest

I hear ya'. Thats why I was trying to get feedback on the A-1, as snow hampered my ability to get to the local gun show this week (they would have had one for me to handle I'm sure)

I saw a used one with the same lo-cap mags at a different local shop for $350. That's why this deal is so enticing. I'm curious what a slightly older generation of Glock would go for brand new, as this might be a similar situation I am in.

thanks for the advice so far - looking forward to being an "official" (read: Steyr-owning) member of this forum.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I like the M9 better. I like the safety, don't contemplate using a rail, and friction tape upgraded the M9 grip enough for me that I don't care about the new A1 grip (and, unimportantly, I like the sleeker looks of the old design).

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Hey Garage,
    I have 3 m's series. $300.00 is a STEAL !! Buy it........... I put the Hogue universal overgrip on two of my M's and trimmed a third slightly to fit differently. It feels even better with the Hogue IMO. The gun itself is the same.......and as stated previously, you can re-sell it for $300.00 used if you don't like it or decide you'd rather have a rail (I, like Wulf don't use the front or care to).........if I sold one of them today I'd ask more then I paid for it and easily get that price.........

9. GarageXTi

GarageXTi Guest

Thanks for all the great replies. After carefully considering my options, and after calling 30+ dealers locally to have a handle at an A-1...

[​IMG]

The 9mm will allow me to get used to the sights and general mechanics of the Steyr. My feeling was that if I like this gun as much as I think I am going to like it, i'll gladly drop $500 for a 357A1 - which is the carry caliber I want anyways. Besides, you really can't beat such a fine piece of craftsmanship for $300, and I bet as this forum grows, the price will continue to rise.

Now it's time to make a custom pic rail/adapter. I'll make a separate post to see if this is something other m series owners would like to have. Maybe do a production run if there are enough takers.

once again, appreciate all of the replies. They really helped me out.

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

rail adapter is made though its costly. available through mdwguns.

check out the HK and Sigma rail adapters at cheaper than dirt for idea's.

congrats on the purchase. way ammo prices are going 9mm is good to have. welcome to the club.

11. GarageXTi

GarageXTi Guest

thanks Mr.A. I just thought if i could make something cheaper that was less adapter and more accessory, that it would be cool. Proprietary stuff is pretty cool as long as it is supported, and it doesn't seem like Steyr's "proprietary" rail on the M series was supported to well :(

btw - serial number is 035XXX - not sure what that means, but through research on here, it does appear to have the new trigger.

12. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I have a 4 steyrs 2xM40's and 2xM9's serial numbers ranging from 28,xxx to 35,xxx all good. wish I had some steyrs in the low 300 range in my area they all are going for $400-$500

when the original M came out nobody was using picatinny or weaver mounts on pistol. Glock might have just released theyre version. alot of companies had proprietary rails but the good old weaver and picatinny beat them out.

S&W,Sig,Walther,CZ. forget who all else lots of companies had proprietary pistol mounting rail

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

HK had proprietary rails too.....

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Still do. Shows just how much H&K thinks of their customer base :lol: