Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions and concerns I'm hoping someone can help me with before purchasing an S-A1 in .40...

I am considering my first carry piece. I stopped by a new gun store that opened down the road and after chatting for a few minutes, the owner asked if I'd handled a Steyr? Of the four he had in stock, I quickly fell in love with a .40 sub-compact. The superb trigger, sights and pointability of these little pistols is fantastic! I quickly discovered why they have such a devoted following...

Now, I've never been a Glock fan, but I do own several other polymer semi-autos (XDm, Beretta Storm, Jericho/Baby Eagle). I consider myself a responsible gun handler, and I don't have an issue with the basic rules of gun safety nor with the thought of firearms without an external, manual safety. That said, the only handguns I own without manual safeties are an XDm (which has a grip safety in addition to its trigger safety) and a .357 revolver (with a typically long, heavy double action trigger). If I were considering something like a Glock with its longer and slightly stiffer trigger pull, I doubt I'd have this concern, but the Steyr's crisp 5.5 trigger, and seemingly short trigger pull create a mild concern about the possibility of an ND while holstering. Keeping my finger off the trigger is simple enough (and second nature to me), but it feels like the Steyr's trigger *may* be more susceptible to something like a errant corner of shirt material making its way where it didn't belong. I think such a fear is only likely to make me more conscious of my gun handling and thus safer, and additionally a quality holster (more on that below) and proper attire probably make this a non issue. Obviously plenty of you carry Steyr's daily without issue, so I'm probably just over-thinking this issue being it will be my first firearm carried daily. Maybe I just need to hear someone else tell me its a non issue. Has any of this ever crossed any of your minds?

Additionally, as I have been doing my research, there are a few things that despite multiple searches on this forum and others, I have been unable to find clear answers for. Maybe my search-fu is just on the frtiz this week…

I would like to make sure I end up with the latest-and-greatest. I know there is supposed to be a roll pin under the rear sight on the underside of the slide that distinguishes the gun as a 2010/11 model, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find a photo of this clear enough to distinguish what I should be looking for? Is there ANYTHING else I should look for that would distinguish this as the current production model? Can anyone point me to a clear photo of what that roll pin should look like?

From my reading, it appears some of the early models did not have a drop safety. This seems to be the muddiest topic for me. I would simply like to know if the most recent generation is drop safe (which I assume it is) and if anyone can point me to an article/post that explains this in some level of detail (so my anal-retentive mind can lay at ease).

I am aware that there are several reputable manufacturers that have IWB holsters available for the Steyr's. I know fit and comfort will be subjective. The most recent ND I heard of that comes to mind was the result of a leather holster that "folded over" into the trigger guard and caused exactly the type of ND that concerns me most. This leads me more towards a full kydex holster (besides that I kind of like kydex for other reasons anyway). Any thoughts on this? Can kydex against the skin be done comfotably? Any reccomendations? Am I again over-thinking this and limiting myself when a leather sided holster will be just fine (and possibly more comfortable)?

Lastly, what is the proper nomenclature for the current production .40 sub-compact? The Steyr brochure says "S-A1", but online I see "S40", "S40-A", etc. It seems to me it should really be "S40-A1". Is this correct? if not, what should it be?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Your fears are understandable, and at least one of us, who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to post, has actually had an AD from exactly the shirt in the trigger scenario.

The upshot is, make sure with any weapon that the concealed cover is totally clear of the weapon.

There are drop safeties on the M/S/C series. They work very well.

The roll pin is witnessed by a small hole running side to side through the slide just below the rear sight. It's clearly visible in a number of pictures here on the site and on the web.

Check with Amy at BladeTech about their IWB holsters. I use a leather holster for IWB, but have a BladeTech for OWB.

You can have the S40-A1, or the S9-A1, Steyr doesn't automatically put the caliber into the name. With the .357 SIG Steyr coming back, you'll also have the choice of an S357-A1.

Gun safety starts in the head, otherwise there wouldn't be so many NDs (ADs) with so many weapons with multiple safety features. The gun can't make you or your loved ones safe, only you can do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is an issue I was hoping to bring up in a forum thread. I just purchased a C9. I currently carry a Intratec Cat-9. Both of these pistols do not have safeties. I want to carry my Steyr as my primary (and only) choice for Conceal Carry, but I wonder and worry about that fact of carrying one in the pipe.

I consider myself a newb on purpose. I want that "paranoia" of "What could happen" to be forefront in my mind. I currently do not carry with one in, so I have that part of having to chamber a round for "safety". The other part of that is the "what if" scenario of being caught without the ability to load it in time. I don't "know" the proper ideology (in my mind) yet. Again, I purposely put myself at a beginner level so I am forced to learn. I know it ultimately comes to my decision, but I would like to hear others opinions/stories etc. about the issue. I have been scouring this board in the archives attempting to learn. :)

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
...With the .357 SIG Steyr coming back, you'll also have the choice of an S357-A1...
Not likely that S-M would actually go into production with any S357-A1's , ETH*, but as you know, ya can convert an S40-A1 easy enough. <shrug>

Oh an' c0nspire...it ain'ta plunge, so don't be scared. You're gonna love it! :thumbsup:

And, let the Club know how the 40 SW recoil is perceived and the muzzle climb goes for ya, when compared to other auto pistols of comparable weight.

Welcome ta the Club, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- still bidin' 'is time an' savin' up for onna them new L357-A1's

·
Registered
59 Posts
I work at a gun store and just ordered the s40 a1 yesterday after a customer brought one in last week and I fell in love with it. Heres what i know. They used to have an s model so the newer models are the a1 models (sa1) Almost all guns are safe these days so with all of your obviously careful intentions I don't think that you will have an issue. Holster options are fewer than other models but there are plenty of custom holster makers out there these days as well. I ordered a crossbreed holster for iwb today (it states that it's for the full size M models however it should work for the s models as well and i just specified to them that i had the s model) this style of iwb holster is the most comfortable and would also be a safe option for iwb that should calm some fear as it has a body panel in the rear and the holster will protect the trigger from the front. I am now working on a belt holster which can be a little more challenging. Some say that the M model stuff will work with the s model but some websites like fobus state that this is not true. Are they just covering their butt or is it true? I have heard some say that the blade tech stuff will work but others say that blade tech says it wont. Are they just confused as well? Well im not completely sure but i know a custom holster maker here in oregon (Ted Blocker holsters) if i want to go the leather route and i had a customer come in today that makes really nice kydex holsters on his own so i may have him make one for me. I say all that to say this. There are options. Ive read millions of articles since holding this pistol last week and done tons of research. I love it because it is just 100 percent right haha and because its something that not everyone has. Hell, it's like the Ron Paul of guns ahahahahah Ive since turned quite a few customer on to them as well. Im new too but I have the advantage of being young and single so I have plenty of time. if anyone other new guys have questions just shoot. Ill help in anyway i can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stay thirsty my friends. Through more research tonight i have found that Alessi and Falco holsters both make very nice belt holsters for the steyr series guns (all of them not just the m series. These are leather but i prefer that to the kydex rubbing on the finish. A Blackhawk Serpa would be nice for the retention but I'll just keep my gun safe the old fashioned way. I would recommend showing Falco and Alessi support for offering these to Steyr owners with each series of gun. Not a paid ad for them (unfortunately) unless they want to pay me now but after hours and days of searching hoslters coming upon their sights and actually seeing the s model in their pull down menu made me shout for joy hahhaha. On Falco's website you find the holster you want and then go to "other series of guns" and the pull down menu will have the steyr models. Woo hoo Hope this helps guys BTW the Falcos are cheaper and have a five year warranty (not sure about alessi)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Or should i say.....steyr thirsty my friends. I don't always shoot guns...but when i do i prefer those steyrs. hahahah

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my two cents worth. I have a Steyr S40-A1 and love it. The recoil is less than my sons XD40 subcompact (which was my carry gun prior to the Steyr). I have a custom leather holster (reasonably priced) from Tim Start at High Desert Leather plus the belt comes at half price when purchased with the holster. You can contact Tim at highdesertleather.com.. I concur with all the other comments above. Don't wait, you won't be sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts