Help confirming production year

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by jhard7788, Apr 15, 2013.

1. jhard7788

jhard7788 New Member

Hi folks, brand new to the club but I've been trying to track down a M9-A1 for a little while now and have a question. The pistol I'm considering appears to be a Gen2? M9-A1 model with date stamp: P0Y, I believe if I've read that right it would be an August 2007 production date. Here's a pic, would love to hear if I'm correct and whether I should expect to have any extraction or other issues with this model.

138924-500x375.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Extraction issues are a hit or miss proposition until the later dates - post about AUG 2010. If you want to eliminate the possibility of those issues with earlier weapons, get the 1911 slide stop/safety spring and do the mod. You absolutely won't have extraction issues (barring a broken ejector or extractor) under normal conditions and with good ammo.

For defensive purposes, Hornady, Federal, Speer, Remington and some others, all hollow point, work very well in the Steyr. It's the practice ammo that usually causes trouble. CCI aluminum cases, UMC, S&B, have all caused problems for Steyr owners here on the forum, although mostly before the extractor mod, not so much after. I've run 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case though my .40 with no problems at all - just dirty. My personal favorite for practice is the Speer Lawman in 155 .40 - that is when I buy ammo, normally I reload.

3. jhard7788

jhard7788 New Member

Thanks for the spring recommendation. Looks like there's lots of info on the site that I'll need to research a bit given the production year.

Cheers