Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by DirtfaceDave, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DirtfaceDave

DirtfaceDave New Member

I have come to this place seeking wisdom. I do not own a handgun, but am planning to obtain one...my personal "executive order". ;D Anyhow, I have only shot a few handguns In my lifetime, I have a couple other firearms...but no handgun. I have been doing research the past few weeks and I have a couple guns In mind, a CZ or the Steyr, honestly I want to get a Steyr, I have read they like to "Fail to eject" at times...then I read reviews about people putting thousands of rounds through them with no problem. So here I am...at the source of knowledge. I know there are different eras of these guns...I happen to live about 40 minutes from Cabelas In Hamburg PA. I see they have this M-A1...It's a 9mm...Is this an updated M9-A1? Or Is it older?...or Is it the same...Is It any good? Dependable? I would be willing to tinker with it if needs be under proper instruction from those who know...any help would be appreciated. here's a link.
    http://www.cabelas.com/semiautomatic-pistols-steyr-mannlicher-m-a1-centerfire-pistol.shtml

Thanks!

-Dave

2. Branth

Branth New Member

There's some information about some "grey market" Steyr pistols floating around here, and IIRC, Cabelas was selling some of them. They're basically frankenpistols, combining the upper half of one version of the gun with the lower half of another. Some folks had good luck with them, others didn't. I'd check to see if the one actually in the store is one of those or not.

I got a Steyr C9-A1 on special order from a local gunshop, and after I broke it in with a couple of hundred rounds, it's been a great pistol for me. The only things I noticed was that initial break-in period and a tendancy to misfire with harder primers. I switched to Federal primers and all is well with the world.

3. afoic2005

afoic2005 Member

Dave-welcome and I would say you made a good choice coming here to ask your questions! There are a lot of folks that love the uniqueness of being Steyr-oids and are very helpful and welcoming. I'd also like to say that based on advice from members here and their kindness in meeting me to let me shoot their weapons, I bought a Franken-Steyr from Cabelas in Hamburg, PA (though I'm currently overseas and have to wait until I get back to have it FFL'd to a different state).

As far as the PW Arms imports, there are several threads in the Handguns->M and S series section that run through the particulars on these weapons, often known affectionately (or unaffectionately as the case may be) as "grey-market" guns or Franken-Steyrs. The "grey-market" tag comes from the fact that they were imported by a company others than the designated factory importer/distributor (currently SAI or Steyr Arms Int'l in AL) under a variety of possible circumstances. The Franken-Steyr tag alludes to the fact that they were built using the re-designed new M-A1 lowers and original M series uppers in the early 2K years (approx 2003-2004).

The FTE/FTF issues are discussed at length here as are some common fixes-search away.

This link might also be helpful for you in case you wanted to go for a new model:
    <https://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9868>

Best if luck and let us know if you have questions!

wrearick likes this.
  4. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I'm probably going to be the red-headed stepchild here but if I was buying my first handgun and my choice was a CZ or a Steyr it would be the CZ-PO7 Duty. I own a Steyr so I am not bashing them but the CZ will eat anything you put in it right out of the box; has a receiver milled from bar stock; and a better factory trigger than a Glock. CZ makes no excuses when it comes to customer service either. Every CZ handgun I have is boringly reliable and very accurate. I do not regret buying my Steyr but it MAY not be the best choice for your first handgun. The ergonomics are a little better to me on the Steyr but not by much. The Steyr also has a high level of fit and finish. I like alot of different handguns and own Glocks,Rugers,CZs and Smiths but if I had to only keep one the CZ would probably stay. It'd be a tough choice though.

5. DirtfaceDave

DirtfaceDave New Member

Many thanks for the replies and info. I'm not quite sure I want one of the mutations. I want something that works right out of the box, reliable and something I can keep forever. I'm not really a gun nut...one decent pistol that I can rely on. I was going to visit Cabelas Friday, they have some on sale...I'll check out the CZ P01, Walther PPQ, Beretta PX4, FNS-9, and Bersa Thunder...just because so many people love the Bersa for the money, think I'd rather get something decent though once and done. CZs just look comfortable to me...

Thanks again guys.

-Dave

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I love guns. The PO1 and PO7 are nice. The PO1 has an aluminum frame whereas the PO7 is polymer. If you can even find a PO1 you might want to snatch it up. They are rare as hens teeth right now. I love my S9-A1 but it was not out of the box reliable.

7. jhb

jhb Member

Welcome.

This is me, but good call on the ppq or cz. Id avoid the grey market steyrs.....unless one likes to tinker and potentially deal with headaches. New production steyr m9 id take over the cz plastics. More on looks and grip feel, than anything else, but that's me.

Now if we were talking the cz75.....different story. I think the cz75 is one of the best pistols ever built, ymmv of course.

8. DirtfaceDave

DirtfaceDave New Member

Yeah I was watching hickok45 on youtube, legit oldhead, does a lot of reviews on pistols, he loves the cz75. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDhURHa0OQ

I guess there's something to be said for these SOLID old school designs.

Ya know those little NAA guns are kinda neat too...be nice for throwing in your pocket...the mini revolvers are neat the 32 guardian would probably more practical and useful...but for what that stuff costs...can get a solid all arounder for a little more. I need to get out to some shops and hold some stuff.