Steyr Club Forums banner

Hello to everybody from Athens, Greece

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  engelsstaub1 
#1 ·
Hello to everybody from Athens, Greece. I am very happy to find a site with such a useful info and experiences on Steyr handguns.

A few days ago, I received my new M40-A1... First time to own a Steyr, my previous experience was with HK USP family.

FYI: I bought a leather holster, that is perfect for the Steyr M series.
Please check the following site, I refer to the model HPK http://www.kingcobra.it/GB/menu03_01.html

Thank you for all the posted info and material,
Antonis

#2 ·
Welcome to SteyrClub!!!

It is good to have members from all countries, and now we have you from Greece!

I am sure we would all love to see photos of your Steyr with the Holster you describe...

This is a great place to do that....

Have you shot it yet? We all like to hear your impressions after you shoot it here!!

Now that you have membership, please do not be shy...

Ask any questions you have and share your experience!!!!

See you soon!!!

:beer: :beer:

#4 ·
antonis said:
Hello to everybody from Athens, Greece. I am very happy to find a site with such a useful info and experiences on Steyr handguns.

A few days ago, I received my new M40-A1... First time to own a Steyr, my previous experience was with HK USP family.

FYI: I bought a leather holster, that is perfect for the Steyr M series.
Please check the following site, I refer to the model HPK http://www.kingcobra.it/GB/menu03_01.html

Thank you for all the posted info and material,
Antonis
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that another leather holster manufacture that needs to be added to the list?????????

#5 ·
Hi again,

as a NATO country, Greece is standardized in 9mm caliber. All new Police, Coast Guard and Army pistols and submachine guns are standardized in 9mm. There are large government contracts with HK, so local arms industries produce HK USPs and MP5s for at least the last 10 years. These replace gradually all older handuns / submachine guns for government organizations.

But it is very common to meet old Colt .45 caliber handguns in the Army (there are large quantities and many officers do prefer them instead of USPs) and a many .38 in Police (standard in secondary, non-combat units).

.40 caliber is not common but not unknown to shooting community. Is used mainly in shooting clubs (like me) and from a few Police officers who buy a second handgun (with their personal budget). Steyr handguns are also rare, most buy Glock (you know these ugly primitive handguns), HK, CZ, Sig, Wather, etc.

Keep in mind that European laws strictly control the possession and use of firearms (and any type of weapon) for defense:

You can own a handgun (full size or compact size) or a non self-loading long gun for shooting purposes (maximum 2 weapons!!), given that you are registered in a shooting club and you have clean criminal record.

You can also easily own a hunting gun (the only prerequisite is clean criminal record).

In very rare cases, you can obtain a license to carry a gun for defense. This requires special permit from both Police and Judge office. And of course there is no way you can legally use any gun to defend yourself. You are in deep trouble, even if you are a police officer in self defense!

All this wonderful legal environment provides a huge space to develop a parallel non-legal weapons market: huge quantities of East European Tokarev, AK, SVD have flooded the local market the last 20 years...

I will post a photo of my Steyr and the holster soon

Antonis

#6 ·
antonis said:
All this wonderful legal environment provides a huge space to develop a parallel non-legal weapons market: huge quantities of East European Tokarev, AK, SVD have flooded the local market the last 20 years...
:lol: Why, that would be... illegal... so surely that doesn't happen... :lol:

Thanks for the info, antonis. Welcome aboard!

#7 ·
That was a very good explanation of your gun ownership laws. It was great to hear your reply. In the US we have plenty of politicians who tirelessly try to legislate against our natural rights. Soon, we too, will not be able to defend ourselves and families with even a stick...just like our friends in London (murder capital.) Then, we too, shall be CIVILIZED. :roll: Take care, my friend...

#8 ·
Hey, Antonis,

How are you doing over there?

I hear it was a little shakey today?

I hope everything is OK for you....

Let us know....

:| :|

#9 ·
Hi again to all STEYR community.

As you can all understand we (European citizens) have to cope with a different legal environment than US... but we are members of a society, the society has rules and we have to follow the rules... otherwise the society collapses!

Of course we have to balance our NATURAL RIGHTS with the legal environment. As my grandfather used to say "it is always better the police to put you in (the prison) than the priests put you in (the grave)". I do not know if my English are good enough but you understand the meaning....

If I can give an friendly advice the US citizens, this is to try defend vigorously your rights to be armed. In ancient times, free people had the obligation and right to be armed. The slaves had the right and obligation not to be armed! Many legislators and politicians say they want unarmed people for safety reasons, but in reality they want quiet slaves (to control easier).

To be fair, Greece is not the worst scenario possible. There are more than a million hunting guns registered (and maybe another million unregistered), people are allowed to keep in house handguns and rifles (for sport shooting purposes :mrgreen: ), most men have joined the army and have formal military service. In areas close the borders, men can keep the military rifles (G3, HK11) at home.

Many European countries do not even allow to keep the firearms at home at all!!

PS. babj615, thank you for the interest. Everything is ok!

Antonis

#10 ·
antonis said:
As my grandfather used to say "it is always better the police to put you in (the prison) than the priests put you in (the grave)". I do not know if my English are good enough but you understand the meaning....
Very Nice....

We have a similar saying over here....

"It is better to be judged by twelve than be carried by six."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#11 ·
Hello again,

Yesterday I was in the shooting field, testing for first time my new M40A1. I fired 300 rounds. I have to admit that I was a bit anxious, having read various reports for malfunctions.

300 round without any problem. No vertical ejections, no jamming at all. M40 is fabulous pistol, specially during rapid shots. What I really liked is the feeling that the pistol is made from a single piece of metal, with no vibrations and no sign of crappy construction (as feel its Austrian cousins...)

have a nice day,
Antonis

#12 ·
That's great news indeed! I'm anxious to fire mine as well (I have the 9mm.) I don't have an indoor range nearby and live in the COLD weather. Can not shoot well when it is warm so I will not bother when there is 3 feet of snow :lol: I'm expecting good things from it when I do finally shoot it. I currently have also an H&K P7 and USP 9mm. These guns have never failed me in reliability, accuracy, comfort, or fun. I know the Steyr will be right at home with them! Now if I can only get my hands on a mint GB...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.