Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a quick hello!

Cheers
Hello from a fellow (southern) northerner. What parts you from?

Welcome to the forum! Coming from Canada how’s the steyr selection?
I have a bit of a funny story. My licensing was delayed as they shut down our safety courses for over a year, after finally convincing my wife that guns don't just walk around the house shooting people. I've been around guns for a significant amount of time but am new to ownership.

My first gun was a GSG 16 as they aren't restricted and the small caliber and low recoil means I can more easily introduce my wife, nephew and eventually kids to firearms without overwhelming them.

My experience with handguns was pretty well null, and I had my heart set on a Walther PDP, mainly due to positive reception and reasonable cost.

I was checking the new arrivals on my local gun store's web site and sorting by price low to high.

At this point my pistol experience was limited to a .22 Luger MkIV which I'm not a fan of, despite being so accurate a star wars stormtrooper could win a gun fight with it.

So I happen to find this 1st gen m9 but had literally never heard of this Steyr brand. I nearly shrugged it off as some cheapo off brand and scrolled on, but, at the 399 (CAD) and with my Wife Acceptance Factor now revolving around cost, it was an avenue that could not be ignored.

Looking it up, this gun looks like it's practically unknown, not exactly plentiful but very well loved.

Living in a border city, I like to think of myself as American by proxy but I can only dream of having that "lead flowing though my veins" level of knowledge but I tend to trust the opinion of Americans when it comes to handguns over pretty much anyone.

I know this was a long story but the main takeaway is that these aren't exactly common and aren't exactly well-known, but I would LOVE to see more talk about them.

Since I'm a right chatty-kathy I'll gladly do my part.

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Very nice and good work with the family. My wife took some convincing but with shooting guns for my entire life she eventually came around. She is now pretty attached to a ruger sr1911 and a vp9. Pretty sure with the sr1911 she can get better groups then me with that gun. She also likes the Aug, definitely a keeper lol. I heard a statement on the Steyr that I think fits well, it’s the best gun you have never heard of. They really don’t market the gun well but with the A2 series I think they have one heck of a contender, now if they would add a optics cut it would be perfect. Oddly I have seen it picked up by a few reviewers lately that are a little more mainstream so maybe they will, seem to sell out quickly when a batch comes in. welcome again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice and good work with the family. My wife took some convincing but with shooting guns for my entire life she eventually came around. She is now pretty attached to a ruger sr1911 and a vp9. Pretty sure with the sr1911 she can get better groups then me with that gun. She also likes the Aug, definitely a keeper lol. I heard a statement on the Steyr that I think fits well, it’s the best gun you have never heard of. They really don’t market the gun well but with the A2 series I think they have one heck of a contender, now if they would add a optics cut it would be perfect. Oddly I have seen it picked up by a few reviewers lately that are a little more mainstream so maybe they will, seem to sell out quickly when a batch comes in. welcome again
Hey thanks.

What a lot of people don't know is that up until 1976 we could own machine guns. Full auto converts weren't completely banned until 1991, even though we still had much tighter scrutiny on ownership historically.

I'm hoping some will follow my lead here as I only plan on acting locally with this, but I want to do everything to restore our gun culture in Canada, which like Steyr is rather unknown (in the 80s I grew up thinking guns were flat out illegal here). Our comparative lack of gun culture isn't working out too well for us, especially the last couple years.

I had heard that line though and I think it was on a YouTube video. I do hope they break out, I think a lit of their rifle would do really well here, and, even though there are really only about 700,000 people in the entire country allowed to possess handguns, manufacturers don't often shirk us.

We have an organization who has a major court case that has begun regarding last year's sweeping, Google search-based ban (an order in council which is still open to be edited so new firearms are added periodically without any real notice to us) so hopefully we will start making steps in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.