Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Coming across this forum is a gold mine! :) I have recently acquired a Steyr M9A1, date code Z0F . The previous owner shaved off the chamber indicator to get rid of the FTE's. Is this true at all?

Thank you guys for accepting my registration!

·
Registered
58 Posts
More likely a worn ejector.
They may have been updated also, so check on that.
I know you can disable the rear indicator, but never heard it affected ejection.
I have heard of many types of guns being finicky for no apparent reason about certain ammunition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never heard anything about the indicator being an issue, however my M40 used to have a lot of FTE issues. For a long time a lot of people focused on the extractor as being the problem, however the real issue for me was the angle of the ejector. A VERY small change of the angle (very carefully applied with some needle nose pliers) fixed the issue. Essentially what was happening was that the casing was slipping under the edge of the ejector and not getting enough of a bump to eject. I think this is why many people had a lot of luck using heavier bullets/hotter loads.

Neither my M357 or L9 suffered from the issue, although they are much newer than my M40, so I suspect some of the problems were corrected with various revisions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is interesting.
I have a 357 barrel and had trouble with it first time out but it was specific subsonic ammo.
I have an older S40 and the ejector has been upgraded for it.
I have the new one, but haven't installed it yet.
Ran like a train with 40, but casings went all over the place.
Acted up with the 357 barrel, but have so little 357 ammo now haven't tested it more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts