Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pjd393 
#1 · (Edited)
Back in '99 I went into my local gun shop in Michigan to buy my first pistol (heck, first gun period). Being an architect I was immediately drawn to the look of the Steyr over the sea of Glocks and Sigs. I immediately noticed the cant of the stock and the groove cut for the thumb and index finger and I could tell this was something different.

I told him I wanted THE safest and most reliable .40 cal for home defense. He walked over and pulled out the Steyr M40 and the rest was history.

I have probably only put 400 rounds through it (I know, I know ...) but mostly because I didn't have anyone to go to the range with and I live in suburban areas (country would be nice).

I recently became excited again which lead me here! After doing research and watching B.T.'s OUTSTANDING videos of part installs and breaking the gun down for replacing parts (I have always kept it very clean and I clean it yearly just to keep it happy) I ordered a few accessories.

- Grip plug
- Glide Rite bushings
- Lee Spring (excited to feel that).

I have my eye on the Captured Rod but I don't think I have put enough rounds through it to justify it yet. Any thoughts on that are welcome! I may just buy one to have as I'm committed to this pistol for life more than likely.

I then ordered the Picatinny adapter from Steyrarms.com and just ordered a Viridian C5L! I have spent hours researching holsters. I know I'm somewhat screwed using this pic adapter + C5L but I was hoping I could use a Blade-Tech possibly for a Glock or another set up that might work (ANY thoughts on this are GREATLY appreciated). I'm also going to try the inter tube grip mod. If that doesn't work I'll get the Hogue Tools Handall Tool Grip (best set up)? I might try the small first (if I can get it on) using ammonia as I have smaller hands.

As of last September Michigan passed a law to allow silencers. MWA HA HA!!! Now I'm lusting over the possibility of a dry silencer.

In terms of a threaded barrel, is ITG the only company that makes it for the .40 cal? I thought I read an old thread about Steyr offering a .40 cal threaded barrel (I prefer to buy OEM unless someone can swear by the ITG). Having a full out tactical set up has always been a dream of mine for fun at the range!

LASTLY, the extractor. Is there a different extractor (revised part) I need to be concerned about or was that just on the A-1 series? My extractor seems VERY stiff. I had taken it apart per B.T.'s video, cleaned it and when I tried to finger test the tension it was stiff! Maybe not broken in yet? I have had maybe 2 jams but I know I need to cycle a few more hundred round through the gun yet. I did test it after I cleaned it (~80 rounds recently). The first shot jammed and then after that everything was great. Thoughts?

Thank you for ANY comments or knowledge you may have. I have spent considerable time reading through old posts as not to be a newbie with silly questions. I APOLOGIZE if some of you have answered these questions 1,000 times. Hey, I came late to dinner but I'm here! ;)

:)

Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the SteyrClub! Better late than never!

As an architectural school dropout, I must say that I suspect your profession and the ability to draw images precisely probably give you a sight picture like one of us would get using a machine rest. I had a friend who continued on in architecture, and at the time he was impossible to best in a tin can kicking competition. He's probably still not beatable in an offhand 50 yd match.

Glad to hear you love your M40. Find a USPSA, or IDPA, or best of all, a group shooting steel. www.uspsa.org, www.idpa.com There's a lot of shooting going on in your neck of the woods, and a lot of fun to be had, even in the winter!

#3 ·
Welcome to the SteyrClub! Better late than never!

As an architectural school dropout, I must say that I suspect your profession and the ability to draw images precisely probably give you a sight picture like one of us would get using a machine rest. I had a friend who continued on in architecture, and at the time he was impossible to best in a tin can kicking competition. He's probably still not beatable in an offhand 50 yd match.

Glad to hear you love your M40. Find a USPSA, or IDPA, or best of all, a group shooting steel. www.uspsa.org, www.idpa.com There's a lot of shooting going on in your neck of the woods, and a lot of fun to be had, even in the winter!
Thanks man!!! Glad to be here!

Angry ... ordered my Viridian C5L from Opticsplanet.com and the sons-a-guns e-mailed me back saying they are out of stock for the next 3-4 weeks. That would have been nice to know before they took my money through Pay-pal.

I'm not going to lie, I have a fairly good eye. My buddy who is an ex-marine said I'm a crack shot.

Just signed up for a CPL class next Thursday (been wanting to do that for a long time). I have a potential project coming up in Detroit and you better believe I'm carrying if I'm down in that area on a regular basis. Some areas of the city are very nice and safe but the areas that are questionable, well, I have two amazing boys and a awesome wife and they want to see me come home.

#4 ·
I know the frustration with OP. I ordered a Bushnell AR322 sight from them - backordered, but I knew that. It's just that the backorder went from May, to June, to August, to October, to November. If I hadn't been bugging them, I'd have never known it.

Still, the prices are great, and if you call and bug them, they'll usually tell you what's up. It's just that you have to call them and bug them...

#5 ·
i also have an older M model as well as a couple of M9A1's. the ma1's have 5 digit serial #'s so i suspect they have the original design extracters and they all extract just fine. i would not concern yourself with new extracter unless you have consistant extract problems which your gun does not sound like it is having. no worry , continue shooting. and good choice of gun. i do not put lights or lasers on guns so i can not suggest a holster.

#6 ·
I know the frustration with OP. I ordered a Bushnell AR322 sight from them - backordered, but I knew that. It's just that the backorder went from May, to June, to August, to October, to November. If I hadn't been bugging them, I'd have never known it.

Still, the prices are great, and if you call and bug them, they'll usually tell you what's up. It's just that you have to call them and bug them...
Thanks ETH77! The price is AWESOME! I can wait 3-4 weeks. 3-4 months however, I'll be cranky beyond belief!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll stay on 'em! ;)

#7 ·
i also have an older M model as well as a couple of M9A1's. the ma1's have 5 digit serial #'s so i suspect they have the original design extracters and they all extract just fine. i would not concern yourself with new extracter unless you have consistant extract problems which your gun does not sound like it is having. no worry , continue shooting. and good choice of gun. i do not put lights or lasers on guns so i can not suggest a holster.
Thanks for the advice! My serial number is just a shade over 1,000!

I LOVE IT! My ONLY complaint is the proprietary rail. The adapter is a little clunky. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.