Having trouble with computer booting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

In the past 3 days my computer does not always boot. It gets stuck and won't go past acertain point. I have to restart it up to 5 times. When it won't boot right it shows different things on the screen than normal. It gets stuck checking the empty floppy drive. It says looking for slave gizmo. It also says chip away virus shield engaged or something like that. I have a name brand firewall and automatic virus check. I also manually tell the virus check to scan computer and a couple of floppy discs once a month. I also have a lava soft cookie remover which has a built in anti virus divice.

I think I have windows 98. Anyone know what I should do?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I would start by getting rid of Windows 98 :roll:

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'm a big fan of wiping the hard drive clean and reloading all software from scratch.

if you've got a decent computer, 1G mhz, 20 G hard drive, you might want to step up to windows xp.

just save all your important crap to a jump drive or a cd.

doesn't take long to do unless you have a bunch of weird programs to upload.

then again it could just be the little battery on your motherboard is dead and forgetting your boot settings. the easiest way to tell that, is if the clock won't stay set.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'm really a big fan of sitting back, drinking coffee and buying a Mac.........and forgetting all the "Dark Side" problems that plaque youz guyz :lol:

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Not windows related if it won't get past the bios.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

But it still wouldn't hurt :lol:

I would check the battery on the mb like the guys said.

7. EmesiS

EmesiS New Member

I would reccomend upgrading to a new Operating System like XP but that wont be too important unless you have reasonably new hardware. If you have less than a 1.8 ghz CPU I would definetly upgrade to something a bit newer; I would be happy to outline the best hardware for the least money if you want. With regard to your present problem I would first try to determine if you have a diagnostic utility, this is sometimes accessed by selecting boot device manually and selecting 'IDE Diagnostics' or 'System Diagnostics' or something similar. So during the boot process you should have the option to 'Select F2 for Setup' and "Select F12 for Boot devices' - your choices may be worded differently but the options should be available regardless. Select 'F12 for Boot Devices' or the equivilent and check to see if a Diagnostic utility exists, if so boot to that and test the hard drive for errors, damage and or corruption. If this determines your HDD to be bad there is your problem. If your HDD checks out ok I would reccomend setting your BIOS back to default or Origianl Configuration.
    When I have experienced what you are describing it has usually been due to a bad Hard Drive and lost sectors in the Windows directory. With enough time and a Windows installation CD you may be able to resolve this problem but I suggest you remove your Hard Drive and back it up by 'Slaving' it in another system and reinstalling a new OS and begin from scratch.
    You can MSG me if you have any other questions or want info on upgrading your hardware. Best of Luck and remember it is always a matter of when your Hard Drive will fail not if your Hard Drive will fail!!!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds like it could be a heat problem...

Check that your Fan on your CPU is working... if it is, it is clogged with dust? If it is clear it.

Can also check:
    -your video card fan if it has one (probably not).
    -your motherboard chipset fan if it has one (might).

9. samue23

samue23 Member

10. Ripped

Ripped New Member

what he said... format and reinstall XP.. 98 is out of date,, time to upgrade.. :)
    i ran xp on an old p3 550 its ran fine on that..with 512 mb memory
    xp is a memory hog..a lil worse than 98. but xp is more stable.
    now i run it on a dell 1.8ghz

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yes, another Mac Da-vot-ee.......but I would get the new mini mac for $500.00............I trashed my old G3 tower for the mini and it works greatl

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for all the info.

I will try it starting with the fan check & dust cleaning and then bettery check. Might as well start with the easiest solution first.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Updated virus software today

I updated it by getting the latest update download. I have no viruses but the scan said my C drive has an erorr in the boot section. I am going to get my brother to help me with it as he knows how to program computers and used to work as a programer.