Have Taken the Plunge....

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Garys4598, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Well, I telephoned CDNN this morning (2 January 2008) and apparently they still have plenty Steyr MA1s on stock and they're still selling them for $339.99 per ($329.99 per for a purchase of three or more). :party:

So, I got a hold of my preferred FFL and he is placing an order from CDNN this morning for me (SWEET!!!!). He said I should be able to take possession of the handgun by likely Friday of next week (since I don't currently have a CCW and therefore am required to go through the 5-day background check wait process).

Oh.... I forgot to mention which caliber I select... :oops:... the 40s&w of course.

Having conveyed all the above, I would hugely appreciate hearing from some of you suggestions or recommendations of a preferred gunsmith that essentially specializes in tweeking or modifying the Steyr MA1-series of pistols? I've performed a cursory search here in the forum and if such a gentleman or service exists and was mentioned, I obviously missed it.

I am aware of the aftermarket guide rod that BigTaco sells (will definitely be placing an order for one of those), but I was wondering if anyone knew of a gunsmith that performs a "permanent" grit treatment to the pistol's grip, etc.?

I am hugely open to "enlightenment!" Please help. (i.e., I am all ears!)

~Gary

2. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Not sure about adding all that stuff on to it but I love my M40-A1! I bought mine from CDNN Dec. 15th and would only be happier if I could sell off the Glock 23 I bought on impulse before finding out about Steyrs.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Tell me More about the G23?

4. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Interesting..... :think: .... at this time, this thread has been looked at 33 times yet only two members have commented.... (and the last comment from babj615 only deals with his desire to hear more about the G23).

I guess the majority of the folks here within the forum are of the silent persuasion? :roll:

Nonetheless, today I was able to locate someone out here in the Pacific Northwest, a Mr. Scott Springer of 'Springer Precision' in Bend, Oregon, whose shop essentially specializes in modifying and tweeking the Springfield XD-line of handguns. I telephoned and spoke with Scott today (a very nice fellow) and learned that he would be more than happy to receive my M40A1 and perform a few "tweeks" on it. Specifically: reducing the grip, applying a permanent x-grip texture treatment on the grip, and giving the handgun's interior components a thorough factory once-over for fit, polishing, and lubrication (not to mention first, a thorough cleaning since the gun will be coming from CDNN).

Since I have that all lined up, now all I need is to receive a reply email from BigTaco (concerning how I go about procuring and paying for one of his exemplary custom steel guide rods). Hopefully.... his reply won't be too long away, since the pistol is reportedly already enroute to my FFL.

Cheers! :beer:

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Yo, G!

Make sure you ask Big Taco about makin the insides of your Steyr super smooth....

...from what I hear, he is probably the best yet at makin these babies puuurrrrfect!!!

Cheers!

6. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Thanks b! I'll do that.

:D

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Forum member jetsiphon has done some great work stippling his grip - you might want to contact him if that's your kind of thing...

[​IMG]

8. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

Well, If you just want to send it to Scott, that's cool, he does great work. If you want to talk to me about the stipple job, that's cool too just drop me a PM.

It's very easy to do yourself, or you can send it to me and I'll do it for ya.

9. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Syntax360 - Thank you Sir so much for the suggestion and the advice.
    jetsiphon - Thank you Sir for the offer.

My plans right now are to send the M40A1 off to Scott Springer of Springer Precision LLC, and have him perform a "grip reduction" on the grip, as well as a X-Grip permanent grit treatment to the gip. Scott will also be performing an overall "polish job" to the inner components of the gun.

Today, I received an email reply from BigTaco and we've begun the coordination for my receipt of one of his custom black oxide 'captured' guide rods.

Yesterday, I ordered 4 more 12-round magazines for the M40A1 from the CDNN website..... so as far as I can tell, short of having actually taken receipt of the handgun, I've pretty-much locked in everything I believe that's possible to have my baby "groomed" into a real shooting beaute.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be most receptive to hearing them.... and I honestly do appreciate the advice and suggestions I have received thus far.

~Gary

10. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

How much of a grip reduction is he going to do? The grip is already fairly thin. You should take some before and after pictures. So we can see how much he reduced it by.

I have been thinking of having JetSiphon do a stipple job on my grip but I think I would have to go check out his and feel it. Before deciding whether or not I want it done.

11. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

IrkedCitizen - I'll absolutely take some "before and after" photos of the M40A1 (e.g., photos before and after the grip reduction and permanent treatment).

Scott Springer discussed this with me at some length: that he will take a very detailed look at the overall grip's structure, and be exceptionally carefull NOT to reduce or remove too much polymer-type material so that the grip's structure and function would ever be in peril (.... or however you might care to state it). After he performs the reduction, the "stuff" he uses for the permanent X-Grip texture treatment is added "on top of the existing exterior polymer material" and therefore, ever-so-slightly increases the overall dimensions of the gip. In other words, first he 'reduces' the grip, then he 'adds' to it via the permanent grit treatment..... but the end result is a grip that is slightly slimmer or smaller in dimension than the original grip. Comprende Amigo? :) He has performed this process on many Springfield XD pistols so I am trusting that he knows what he's doing (although of course we're talking about a completely different handgun here, with the Steyr MA1).

BOTTOM LINE: After Scott takes a good hard look at the Steyr's grip dimensions and structure, for all I know he may decide that he can only do exceedingly little 'reduction' to the overall grip (which quite possibly will prove to be the case, for all I know). I don't expect this to be the "golden bullet" that helps me and my accursed short fingers obtain an ideal index finger reach on the gun's trigger.... I'm simply crossing my fingers that the grip reduction might help just a little.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that your concern regarding how the X-Grip permanent treatment "feels in the hand" is very valid! Scott mentioned to me that some people really DO NOT LIKE IT. According to him, it can be perceived as very-much like sandpaper. He made it clear to me that if my Steyr pistol was going to essentially be a safe gun (i.e., brought out to the firing range only every other month or less, but otherwise remain in my gunsafe), that I should not have this process performed on the gun. He said that if I plan to use the gun as my primary or frequent range-firing gun; firing the pistol approximately once a week, more or less, that I would likely greatly appreciate the permanent grit treatment, especially during hot summer days when my hands would be perspiring (sweating). His words on that point were good enough for me; I plan to use this pistol very frequently out at the range.

Hey, if possible, along with the "before and after" photos, I will strive to do my best with a before and after "write up" on my perception of how the gun performs and feels. Not quite sure how helpful it will be though.... considering this is my very first handgun purchase! (although.... I do have over 20 years of sporadic or infrequent use of a handgun (went from Colt Govt. 1911s to the Beretta F 9mm of course), via my career days in the U.S. Army.... I retired from the Army during 2004... 8)).

12. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I can't wait to see pics of this X-grip treatment because after a couple hundred rounds my hand starts getting sweaty and makes follow up shots a little tricky.

13. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

SITUATION UPDATE:

Well, I was able to pick-up and handle my Steyr M40A1 this afternoon at my FFL's store office :party:. To say that I felt the urge to drool and.... well.... simply release myself inhibitions to the feelings and emotions that were coursing through my body as I handled, manipulated and caressed the pistol, is a mild understatement as many of you know.... :oops:

After taking a very hard look into the grip's magazine well.... I was immediately surprised by how thin the polymer is on the pistol in the grip area. My mind immediately raced to the realization that, "Well... guess Scott Springer won't be reducing the grip on THIS pistol much whatsoever!" I mean, as all you Steyr owners well know, it's rather amazing just how wonderfully "slim" (I guess I'd like to stay away from the term "thin," since some folk would receive that as possible structural weakness... :roll:) the material thickness is for the grip, no?

Yet, in spite of that realization I was also immediately PLEASED by my index finger's reach to the trigger! Although for my short fingers the reach is not ideal.... it is a helva improvement over the vast majority of pistols I have picked-up and handled at gun shops.

So that all just put an even wider smile on my face.... (and I'm happy to report I didn't actually physically: :drool:... I was able to maintain a reasonable amount of personal decorum.)

I am hugely looking forward to being able to bring her home sometime mid to late this coming week, and then send her off to have a Mag-na-port job done on the slide and barrel.

I'll keep you posted as promised (with pics of course).

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds like you might have found exactly what you're looking for? I totally agree with the slim grip observation, and I think this is one of the main reasons why the Steyr's conceal so well. I (like many others) needed to add a slip-on grip to give it a bit more girth to better fit my hand, but the combination is an absolute dream!

Just wait 'till you get to shoot her! :twisted:

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Gary, Gary, Gary.....

I would highly advise you take her to the range BEFORE sending it ANYWHERE.....

...you were all ready to have the grip cut down before you ever touched it... but once you handled it.... well, you know....

...now I am not saying to "not Mag-Na-Port it", but....

Gary, how will you EVER KNOW the improvement made if you do not fire it BEFORE and AFTER????

PLEASE, fire this weapon in its PURE VIRGIN form.....

...then do with it what you please!!!!

...besides, she's only a virgin once.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

16. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

17. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

babj615 & IrkedCitizen -- Of course, you are both absolutely correct.

I'll do that.... yet, even after I have the pistol Mag-na-ported as well as having the X-Grip permanent treatment performed on her, due to the amount of time the gun will be away; off at the two different gunsmithing services, performing and reporting on the performance and "feel" differences (i.e., the "before and after") will be hugely subjective. The only way to even half-way do something like that correctly is to have two M40A1 pistols on hand to conduct a side-by-side test; one "plain Jane" and the other with the mods I've identified.

But.... you all know that already; I'm preaching to the choir. :v

Nonetheless, as you implied.... I'm hugely looking forward to breaking her hymen... :twisted:

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds to me like an excuse to order another... :twisted: :lol:

19. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Funny, I was considering ordering another M9A1 and M40A1 to have them Mag-Na-Ported, and not disturb my collection...

:stupid:

20. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Everyone:

For visual comparative purposes (wish I/we could perform a physical "touch" comparison of course), immediately below is a photo that Scott Springer forwarded to me of his "X-Grip" (permanent grit treatment) on a XD45 pistol. When Scott first spoke to me by telephone about his permanent grit treatment, he mentioned that some people compare it to touching/holding sandpaper, and that it is made from some aluminum-type compound/material that is of course sprayed on. After reviewing the photo I can see WHY he receives the "sandpaper" analogies from some of his customers.

[​IMG]

Now, this next photo is of course of the grip treatment that jetsiphon has done, and which Sytax360 provided us a picture of:

[​IMG]

So.... in my honest opinion, just by looking at the two photographs of the two pistols, jetsiphon's treatment looks a helva lot better and more 'comfortable'.

So my question is: "If you were me, WHICH grip treatment would you opt for???"

All comments are welcomed!!!!

~Gary

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009