Has Anyone Shot IPSC 3-Gun, recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by midtnshooter, Feb 2, 2008.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey All,

I am in the market for a semi (AR/AK) style weapon for IPSC 3-Gun. Has anyone played and if not could someone recommend something for me to zero in on.

I'm looking for something light, upgradeable/modifiable (scopes, barrels, etc), reliable, etc.

I looked at JP Rifles (only to look at something sweeeeeet), but like the STI Grand Master 2011 pistol, I can't afford them.

Any help will be excepted with a big thank you.

Take Care,
    MTS

2. nalioth

nalioth New Member

WASR Kalashnikov. They are inexpensive, and if you can pick it up in person to make sure it passed QC, will run reliably with whatever you load it with. Every WASR comes with a side mounted commie scope rail. Aftermarket accessories are available in great numbers. The WASR comes in 7.62x39 (WASR-10) 5.45x39 (WASR-2) and 5.56x45 [aka .223] (WASR-3)

I've never had a lick of trouble with mine.

This is a WASR-2 with aftermarket treatment.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, you can find them starting at $289 for a US legal military magazine model.

3. midtnshooter

Being a complete novice to semi auto rifles, is this one upgradeable ? Have you seen or heard about comp barrels, etc?

Thanks,
    MTS

PS, Bet it is fun to ride !

4. nalioth

nalioth New Member

A kalashnikov isn't a 'accuracy gun', it's a "put rounds all day long into a milk jug at 100m" gun.

If you want accuracy, look into an AR15 (and those start at 2x or more the price of a Kalashnikov)

I'm probably ignorant, but aren't 3-gun matches more focussed on "daily drivers"? i.e. guns you'll find in the trunk|behind the seat| on the belt of everyday folks?

5. midtnshooter

IPSC, IDPA or an other type of competition shooting requires something more than a rifle behind the seat. Please do not refer to yourself as ignorant. I am "sometimes" experienced to pistol shooting, but a novice to 3-gun. I can't tell you the deference between an AR or a AK. I am "ignorant" compared to you and the others. Don't get me wrong,I'M NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT, but I am "ignorant" when it comes to semi-rifles. The rifle I am "looking" for can be upgraded with a trigger assembly, barrel or whatever I learn.

Thank you and I would love to own that rifle.

Take Care,
    MidTNShooter (aka MTS)

6. mrboma

mrboma Member

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

MTS, look at Stag Arms carbine in 16" barrel, and consider used if you can. AR is the platform to have. I don't shoot 3-gun yet, so view my opinions thusly.

Stag can even set for left or right handed shooters. It gets high marks from smart AR enthusiasts when considering goo budget guns, as far as i can tell.

Stag-15 with MI ERS Rear Flip
    Model 2 Pre-Ban
    MSRP
    $925.00

http://www.stagarms.com/rightrifles.htm