Has anyone noticed more problems w/9mm over .40's in Steyrs?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by yugo308guy, Feb 13, 2006.

1. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

Just wondering if anyone has noticed more reported problems with the 9mm series of Steyr's, both M and S series, over their .40cal counterparts? i don't know if it's my imagination or actually true. My personal experience has bourne this out. I had an M40 with over 1400 rounds through it and never had a malfunction, not one, ever! I sold it, because I wanted to start carrying an S series. i went with a 9mm this time, in a gun that supposedly only had 32 rounds fired through it, now I know why, After shooting a couple mags thru it, it started to fail to go into battery after every shot, then locked up completely, to the point of having to disassemble the frame and slide then pushing down on the barrel hood to release the barrel fromlock up. Thought it might be the usual dirty gun/extractor, so I detail stripped and cleaned to include the extractor. Went to the range and had the same experience. Sold it to a dealer at the gun show!

I'm thinking about going with either an HK P2000SK or Walther P99 compact for my next gun. I use an HK P7 normally, but want a sub compact for summer or snug clothing, but I'm not sure I want to write off the Steyr just yet. I'm thinking about finding an S40, to see what kind of luck I have with it. So I guess I'm asking if anyone has noticed this difference between the 2 calibers? My thinking is that, since the Steyr was built for the .40cal first, I'm wondering if the 9mm just doesn't have the uummpphh to cycle reliably through this platform. Eveyone's thoughts welcomed.

2. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Interesting thread and a very good question. I own an M-40 and haven't had any issues with it other than some erratic ejection at my first range trip (after that it wasn't an issue). Most of the problems that I've seen have been largely with the 9mm, but that said, I have seen one or two with the M-40 so it is hard to say.

A KEY reason we need more members here (1,000 + and counting) to visit our Survey thread and take the "Which Steyr pistol do you own," poll. Only 150ish some folks have taken the poll and it seems pretty evenly split on who own a 9mm and who owns a .40 S&W caliber. However, another huge variable comes into play with the fact that 9mm is cheaper ammunition and those who own that caliber may be shooting more rounds than those who own the M-40 or S-40.

The Steyr M-series was designed as a .40 S&W and than adapted to the .357 Sig and 9mm afterwards, but I can't say that is anything special either. Maybe there are more folks on here who may know more than I do about this topic, but I think most of us would be guessing.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have two 9mm's and they have never given me a hint of problem after breakin period for one and the other was perfect from the start.......The M40 on the other hand has been a minor annoyance....not as accurate, trigger reset, and other minor things......mostly accuracy was not as good as the M9.
    ......I dont' know why there is so much variance...........The pistol is surely made better then the Glock, but I don't know what the quality control is like at Steyr.......they are still awesome 8)

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i would say the steyr is unique (or certainly was at the time it was developed) in that it was designed from the get go as a 40.

most manufacturers were making all kinds of 9mm pistols prior to the 40's existence.

the 40 happened because ammo manufacturers started loading what was essentially 10mm -p to combat the cracked frames of handguns designed for 10mm. (it should be noted that glocks never had this problem) since we had all kinds of case length with relatively little powder, some smart guy (or girl) decided to shorten the case to a size which would fit 9mm frames. this is why 40 bullets tend to have a blunt point. they needed to keep the length of the total round down. it was also the impetus for the unsupported chamber.

many (including myself) feel that 40 is ballistically superior to 9mm and 45 acp. grip length is equivalent to 9mm meaning it fits many peoples hands well with a double stack mag while holding more rounds than a single stack 45 mag. it's also become the ideal comprimise between "kockdown power" (whatever that means to you) and capacity.

anyway... most manufacturers simply revised a 9mm gun to accept 40. steyr revised a 40 to accept 9mm. the difference being that 9mm existed when the m series was developed and the intention was always there to develop a 9mm version. since this was the case, the guns were essentially designed together, which is why i can literally put the m9 slide on the s40, insert an m9 mag and blast away.

the consequence to this is that the extractors and ejectors are the same for both calibers. so, the 9 extractor is asked to grab a smaller diameter rim, which it does well, very well, until something, anything is less than ideal. this could be dirt, overlube, underlube, weak spring...

the 40 extactor is much more forgiving.

another consideration is that all the springs in the subframe are the same for both calibers. these springs also ultimately, in some very complex ways that only steyr engineer types really understand, interact with the recoil spring. could be why the 9mm has a pretty light spring.

what i haven't found out yet is whether or not the actual extractor shape is different for 9 and 40 in the a1 series. if they're not, the aftermarket would do well redesigning an extractor specifically for the 9mm version.

so in short, there do seem to be more problems with the 9mm version. but... these problems are still relatively rare and usually fixed by replacing the offending spring. i consider my m9 completely 100% reliable. mostly because i shoot it all the time (atleast 100 rounds a week, sometimes 500) and it better be 100%, cause that's what i'm bringing to the line when ipsc starts up in march!!!

but, get an s40 if you can find one. it really is the perfect gun. it does everything. and well at that.

5. Sound25

Sound25 New Member

I have an M-40, and have put around 1000 rounds through it. The one and only problem I have had with it was my own fault, and that was simply not watching where a spring came from in the trigger assembly, but thanks to the tutorials on here, I was able to get it back right away. I have had no FTF, or FTE's, trigger is pretty sweet, going to do the trigger job written on here once I can find some 1000 gritt paper. My buddy has a Block 23, .40, and we did some side by side comparisons, I found my Steyr to be much more accurate, with a LOT let muzzle flip, less recoil, and just more comfortable to hold and fire. Plus it's a hell of a lot more sexy! :twisted: Eventually I plan to buy a 1911, and then a Steyr S-A1 .40... That is just a sweet sounding piece. And then many more after that...

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

bigtaco,
    it's good to grab a morning cup of coffee, sit back and read you posts....... :) always entertaining and informative. Ministerofdeath is a close second...... :!:

7. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

Problems?

I basically do not post, unless I have something to say good or bad.

My M9, in the beginning was a bear with FTE's and trigger reset. I have the weapon nearly now for a year and we shoot new ammo at about 150 to 200 rounds a week. So after a few weeks of shooting, which is a requirment, they pay for the rounds, the M9 has really become a very reliable weapon. In fact I am having no problems with the weapon. It is cleaned every other day with Eezox nothing else, from day one. There are three of us carrying the M9 as our duty weapon. Having been always carrying a glock, it too is a great weapon, but I prefer the M9 mainly for the push up safety.

Oh about that bulged barrel in the other post, showed the picture to the armour and they all agree, it is at the end of the barrell, and there must have been a hot load or a round that had an over sized projectile. The deformed barrel is too perfect.

I do believe the more you use the M9 the better it gets.

One even asked if you shot a plastic wrapped sabot round. Only other time he seen a barrel like that was with a plastic bullet shot thru.

8. Ripped

Ripped New Member

Only reoccuring problem i have seen with the s40.. including my own experience has been the guide rod tip breaking. I think i may have been the first to post up about it, but im sure not the first to experience it.. then about 4-5 months later another member had the same issue. ATAC "gun dealer" gladly replaced the broken guide rod at no charge. thats about the only negative i have seen thus far with the s40.. other than Ive noticed a bad magazine can also create fte`s on the s40.. i have one mag out of 7 that will always create an fte. I no longer use this mag as it has been labeled as bad.. not sure if its out of spec/measurement or what but it is indeed its own culprit.

9. revjen45

revjen45 Member

I bought my S9 at a gunshow because the on ,40s were all Model M and I wanted the S so I compromised on caliber. Since I bought at a gunshow I don't know how much it was shot before I got it, but I would describe the condition as LNIB at least. I have shot several hundred rounds in 115, 124, and 147 gr with no malfunctions of any kind. The first ammo I shot thru it was 124 gr Hydrashok which shot low and left. Don't know if I experienced a miracle or what, but now it shoots where I aim with 115 and 147 gr. Haven't shot any more 124 gr since the 1st unsatisfactory results. I have had no malfunctions and trust it to work when I need it to. The sight picture and trigger are unique and do require getting used to. I clean and lightly lube it every time I shoot as well as any time there is buildup of fuzz, crud, etc. I love it and plan to shoot IDPA when the employment situation allows expenditures for other than foolishness like rent and food.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

wait til the season starts, then skip rent. they can't evict you for like at least three months.

go to maphub.com or some similar site. these practical applicatons of internet technology actually show you via broadband connection, the choicest dumpsters to dive!!!

sorry... too easy a set-up :wink:

also, you've probably heard it already but i've never seen ammo shoot low-left, but i seen ME do it a bunch!!!!!

hey, all i'm saying is that the pancreas and appendix are WAAAAAY more vital than any paper target gives credit for. :lol:

funny how the body can knowingly cause an explosion, the effects of which it is actively attempting to avoid.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

guess its time to re-shoot that ammo..... :wink:

12. bigbob68

bigbob68 New Member

While I do not own a 40 S&W, I sold my XD service 40S&W because I did not like it. My M9 from CDNN came a little dirty but cleaned right up. After taking it to the range I was very impressed. The sights took some time to get used to but I never had to dodge any brass in the face. I have not had any problems discusssed here, as a matterof fact, it has never failed my in almost 2500 rounds. I am looking forward to shooting this alot more to see justwhat it can handle. I love the feel of the gun in my hand, the only other gun that feels as GOOD in the hand is the CZ and lord know I am not going to buy one of thiose. I am sooooo happy I bought one beforethey sold out. At the Gun Show last weekend, they wanted $450

I

13. DKHAN

DKHAN New Member

I was at the Valley Forge show this past weekend and the cheapest M series I saw was $399+. I got quite a few inquiries about my M40 during check in and when trying out holsters. Steyr envy ? :wink:

14. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Of course you had some Steyr envy...look at it it's a beautiful pistol.

I was watching a program on the development of the F-22 Raptor and the engineers at Lockhead stated that if it looks good it will fly even better. I think thats true about a lot of things in life such as the Steyr that looks good and shoots even better. If Steyr did any marketing they'd sell like hot cakes.

15. jnclement

jnclement New Member

I've got about 1500 rounds thru my M9, still waiting for a FTE or FTF. I bought it right about my M40, which only has about 200 rounds thru it. That 9mm is so much cheaper. It may just be a subcompact problem; it seems like a lot of reliable guns have more problems when they are converted to a compact model.