Hard to find Ammo in MD

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smores, Nov 2, 2006.

1. smores

smores Guest

ok... a few years ago, I could buy a gun and ammo at Wal-Mart, The Sports Authority, Galyan's, etc. I have been searching for some ammo over the last few days, and both Wal-Mart and T.S.A. say that it's a new law that only firearms dealers can sell ammunition.

After searching on Google for terms like "ammo montgomery county, MD" and things like that, all I could find was information on how to recycle/dispose of ammo, and hundreds of pages on the D.C. Sniper case from a few years ago.

I used to think MD was a pretty nice place, but it seems that laws are getting tighter and tighter. No magazines over 20 rounds, "The List" of banned guns (any gun made by Bushmaster is outlawed, thanks to the "Sniper" incident, no UZIs, no MACs, no Skorpions, etc), no ammo in regular stores, etc. Maybe I'll just move a few miles up north into Pennsyltucky or invest in handloading supplies :twisted:

Does anyone have any information or further insight as to why the sale of ammo has been banned? Or are these corporations (Wal-Mart, etc) making decisions to prohibit the sale of guns and ammunition? Even the BB guns were wedged in a corner, and it took me a while to find those :?

2. I don't have experience with MD laws, but I live in Alexandria, and buy almost all of my ammo at the Wal-Mart in Springfield. They have good prices, and a decent selection. A closer (perhaps) and another place for good ammo prices is Dicks in Fairfax, right off 66. I bought a case of Remington 9mm there last week for about $6/50 rounds.

If you rent, I'd highly recommend moving to the other side of the Potomac. VA is much more gun friendly.

3. smores

smores Guest

The guy at the Sports Authority said that Dick's would probably have ammo, since they still sell guns (long guns at least). I know when Dick's used to be Galyan's, they usually had a few handguns on display.

I'm considering ordering ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt. I've gotten tons of camping/surplus gear from them, and they seem pretty decent.

Thanks for the info, but I'm currently living in my dad's house (he lives with his g/f). I basically just pay for utilities and live here for free. I just have to maintain everything well.. :twisted:

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Natchez mail order or gun shows also