Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sunherald.com/2010/04/22/2123727/police-it-was-self-defense.html

Check out the local happenings. It's only a shame they even sent it to the grand jury.

Local - D'Iberville
Thursday, Apr. 22, 2010
Comments (29) | Recommend (0)
Police: It was self-defense
By ROBIN FITZGERALD - [email protected]

D’IBERVILLE — A man who shot and killed an assailant at his home fired in self-defense, police said, and has not been charged.

Evidence indicates the homeowner was defending himself against Paul Mahaffey, 37, of Biloxi, who was acting in “a jealous rage” when he went to the man’s home and confronted him Thursday around 6:45 a.m., police Capt. Keith Davis said.

“The deceased was dating an ex-girlfriend of the homeowner,” Davis said.

JOHN FITZHUGH/SUN HERALD D’Iberville police investigate the scene of a shooting that resulted in a death.

Police said the homeowner was getting ready for work when he heard a knock on the door.

The man told police Mahaffey hit him in the head with a hammer so he got a weapon to defend himself.

The man, whom police would not identify, was injured and was taken to a hospital for treatment. He lives in the 10300 block of Lemoyne.

Mahaffey was pronounced dead at the scene.

Davis said two prosecutors met first-responders at the house.

The District Attorney’s Office will present the evidence to a grand jury. Homicides that may be deemed justifiable are typically presented to a grand jury for resolution.

“We feel it was self-defense,” Davis said.

Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove said Mahaffey died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

The homeowner’s residence is hidden from the road by trees. Police said they found Mahaffey’s car parked on a dirt turn-around that couldn’t be seen from the house.

Crime-scene technicians spent the morning gathering evidence.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2010/04/22/2123727/police-it-was-self-defense.html#ixzz0mts1o6wv

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
"We (the legal experts) believe it to be self-defense so we're not going to charge him. However, we're going to call in 12 people off the street who are too stupid to get out of it and see what they think before we just let him go..."

Boy...am I proud of our legal system.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
But he wasn't being tried. It was a grand jury to decide whether there would be a trial at all...after the investigating police stated that it was clearly self-defense and there would be no charges filed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really hate to comment on a judicial system I may be put in but I think, what a waste of taxpayers money. I wonder about the stress of the shooter, before and now, even with the, "it'll be alright it's only a technicality''. I only hope this is for the appearance of fairness and inpartiality. I just don't get it.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is truely unfortunate is that he gets to be victimized twice. First by the assailant, second by the legal system. This "Technicality" could quite easily throw this person into economic ruin. Even when your not guilty, the cost of Defending yourself in court for doing nothing more than Defending yourself at home, can be incredibly expensive. Our system does a fine job at giving the APPEARENCE of fairness, much like Government gives the appearence of representing the people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts