Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention...

I haven't seen very many M-A1 series or any of the Caracal pistols at the local shows, but today I saw both. 2 different tables had them side by side and that made for a great chance to compare. Those of you that already own both may agree or disagree with a few observations.

The Steyr - these had the roll pin and the trigger was much better than my M9 (not that it's bad, it's just better). Smooth all the way. I also like the weight of the Steyr and the shape of the grip. Again, I like my M9, but the A1 models have a nicely rounded tail that won't be chewing the skin off my thumb. Both tables had them with trap and std sights.

The Caracal has a nice trigger as well, but it felt mushy. It also felt lighter than the Steyr but the grip was similar. Did Steyr ever come out with the ambi mag release? I liked that on the Caracal, but after looking into the mag well, I wonder how durable it will be. What I mean, is that the springs for the release are held by rather thin pcs of polymer and they might crack over time. Only one of the tables had them with the quick sights...Now that I liked! Very quick to pick up the front sight. Overall, nicely finished guns.

Strange that one table had both about the same price - $450, but the other had a $100 higher price on the Steyr.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Good observations. I'm pretty much on board with polymer everywhere. Zytel is fiber reenforced and really works about as well as steel in many applications. If you'd trust steel at a given thickness, mostly I'd trust polymer at the same thickness. Clearly there are real exceptions to that rule - not talking chambers, barrels, etc. I do note that carbon fiber 10/22 barrels are a major hit, so in the future we may have steel sleeved, carbon fiber barrels in larger weapons as well. Carbon nano fibers are also interesting in metal matrices. I think I'll stock up on diamond drills just in case...but I digress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts