Steyr Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Vaux,
would seriously consider getting a P64 if you think you may ever want to. They are only going to be on the market at the low prices until they run out. While that may seem far fetched, take a look at the Bulgarian Makarovs. These were $99 when they were first released to the US and I see them on GB for $400-$600 now.
I am looking at purchasing one of the Polish P64 pistols within the next few weeks. My wife wants to buy something that is around the same price ($150) first so I have to wait my turn :D

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
skip the keltec......

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know a lot of people who carry a KelTec, and they are very popular since they are relatively inexpensive. I think their quality of manufacture and materials are not anywhere close to that of a Beretta, HK, Glock or Springfield XD, S&W etc. You would be better off with a FEG or Makarov.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I know a lot of people who carry a KelTec, and they are very popular since they are relatively inexpensive. I think their quality of manufacture and materials are not anywhere close to that of a Beretta, HK, Glock or Springfield XD, S&W etc. You would be better off with a FEG or Makarov.

+1

Useless Text - Kinda Like A Liberal...

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
With all those CCW irons you're going to look like John Bianchi in the ad where he was carrying 32 guns while wearing a tuxedo. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you can find a good one(their hit or miss),AMT backup .380,9mm,.45acp for deep concealment or backup.The only issues I had with my.45 bup($300nib),was feeding the first cold round.After polishing the feed ramp it functioned flawlessly,and would eat anything it was fed including 240grn+P+.I got rid of it after about 5000rnds,becouse it liked to bite the web of my hand(got big hands).The pet should not bite the master.The XD series are ultra reliable.Bulgarian,and Russian Makarov's are good shooters for ccwMatt.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
+2
Too many bad experiences from brothers to friends with QC and KelTec. Not to mention the trigger pull...........:rolleyes: Its great to a gun collection that includes cheap guns and exotics but when your life depends on it get the best and the tested........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Big + on PPS. As for Glock, I would either go 19, 23C or 30. I personally, prefer 23C as you can configure it in many ways.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, you might wanna take a look at FN FNP, especially in 45, which might be a good value. Its size is on a larger side though.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
My FNP-45 became my winter CCW gun. Used it in a High Noon Hidden Asset tuckable. Big but doable and worth it for 15+1 .45 230 gr. +P.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Kel-Tec P-3AT I owned for three years made three trips back to Cocoa Beach for tweaking and it still was never reliable. I had one of the first 2nd Generation guns.

I took a chance and traded it in for a PF-9 in Feb 2008. That pistol, I'm happy to report, has been very good. There were about a half-dozen FTExtracts in the first 300 rounds but since then has been reliable. Of course, it's one of the late-model serial numbers which I'm told are the ones to buy.

I bought a couple of boxes of Fiocchi Extrema 115-grain XTP rounds and managed to put 25 out of 50 rounds on an 8 X 10 piece of paper at 25 yards. I've never been able to do that with the Steyr or the Glock; maybe because I'm normally a so-so marksman. Or maybe I should try some Fiocchi XTPs in those two other better pistols, ya think?

The only thing I want from the PF-9 is seven or eight reliable chances to survive a potential life-or-death encounter. At this writing I think I have those chances, and it's a CCW piece that is easy to carry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I HATED my PF9. That thing was a piece of crap from day one. I posted a few questions about it over at ktog and quickly found out that only positive things are allowed to be said about KTs or some Texas Moderator sends you ugly emails and cusses you out. That being said, My P11 was awesome for 10 long years and 10,000+ rounds.
What kind of malfunction did you experience? I guess KelTechs are hit or miss. Mine works flawlessly after 300 rounds but I don't really wanna put it to the test.
I shoot my PPS all the time without fear that it falls appart.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Its pretty much the view I have of KelTec's.

Pretty sure they work as advertised, but personally reliability & quality to things on my list. I mean, if your strapped for cash and you need something right away, they definitely serve a purpose. But its not something that I would even consider as a long term backup or carry weapon.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't put them in the same catagory as Hipoint or Jennings though. Kel-Tecs are great little carry guns and serve their purpose well for the most part. The PF9 was just rushed into production and needed a lot more R&D.

I have owned every handgun that Keltec has made (except the discontinued P40). I had a P11 that I bought used in 1998. I carried it or used it as a truck gun for 10+ years. After 10,000 or so rounds it was still 100% reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a P11. I decided to trade it in for a PF9 due to it's size. The PF9 fired evertime I pulled the trigger but was falling apart after only a few hundred rounds. I bought a P32 for my wife and it suffered from HORRIBLE reliability issues. It would rimlock every 3rd round. I returned it and got her a P3at instead. We bought it, put 250 rounds through it to prove it worked and now she carries it in her purse. The bluing has already rubbed off of it but it has proven to be 100% reliable.

All of that being said, when I chose my summer CCW gun, I went with a Polish P64 instead of a Kel-Tec. It is thinner than the PF9 and has a proven 38 year track record with police departments, military and national gaurd units.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have decided to put the Kel-Tec PF9 on the Back burner for a while. I have no doubts about Kel-tec weapons but the PF9 seems to be a gun that was rushed to the market and has several reliability issues.

Thanks for the replies and I hope to hear more from you on the other guns I have listed. I expect that I will be purchasing the P64 Polish pistol in the next few weeks. I have to pay off a few medical bills first then my wife will let me buy another gun. :) She is a pain in the ass like that, :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Can anyone suggest a good Glock to replace the SR9 from Ruger? I have the SR9 set asside for a bedside weapon. I want something that will have good capacity and in the .40S&W caliber.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Can anyone suggest a good Glock to replace the SR9 from Ruger? I have the SR9 set asside for a bedside weapon. I want something that will have good capacity and in the .40S&W caliber.

You can't go wrong with a Glock 19 (9mm) but I am very wary of any Glock 40cal (G23 or G22) with the factory barrel. Too many Kabooms that people sweep under the rug or make up excuses for. I am sure that some here will disagree but in a Glock, I'd get a Glock 19. It may be as close to perfect as a polymer pistol gets today. I think if it had the Steyr safety in the trigger gaurd I'd own 3 of them. :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. I am looking for a .40S&W or a 10mm, that way I don't have to purchase another large stock of ammo. I have a .40 and my wife has a .45 ACP. I am about to purchase a polish P64 in yet a third caliber.

I am not sure I want to buy another caliber. I try to keep approx. 1500 rounds (target) and 750 rounds (PD) for each caliber. The more calibers I have the more ammo I have to buy. :)

The bonus to the 10mm option is that you can load them with the .40 S&W round. The bullets are the same, the difference is the casing length and powder charge.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The bonus to the 10mm option is that you can load them with the .40 S&W round. The bullets are the same, the difference is the casing length and powder charge.
Yes, but you will need a conversion barrel. Don't try to shoot standard 40cal rounds in a stock configuration Glock 20.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts