Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are the guns I am planning on purchasing over the rest of this year. I am looking at them to be decent Carry guns as well as decent personal defense weapons for the house. I have knowledge of all of them but there is a few that I haven't shot so any information on whether they are good shooters or not would be greatly appreciated.

Walther PPS (CCW)
KelTeK PF9 (Car Gun) - Been removed due to reliability issues. Might buy later but not now.
Springfield Armory XD sub compact (CCW)
Ruger SP101 327 Fed Mag (CCW)
Ruger SR9 (Home Gun/bedside weapon)
Polish P64 (Backup CCW/CCW for my wife)
Beretta PX4 Storm C

Possibly a Glock though I am not sure which one to get so please feel free to suggest. I would get this in exchange for the Ruger SR9 so please keep that in mind. :D

There is the list. :) If anyone has any thoughts on these please feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions. I am planning on acquiring all of these over the next 7 or 8 months. I will most likely purchase the Polich P64 first simply because they are the cheapest. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the PPS and the XD compact. Both are solid - the PPS wins hands down for concealability (that's not even a word) as far as frame size but the single stack mags have their limitations. The XD on the other hand, has the base mag conversions that turn it into a regular capacity sidearm - my only problem here is that the handle looks longer than the slide and makes the firearm look strange to me. That's of little significance when it comes time to shoot.

I will say this, it is easier to carry my XD-M (it certainly indexes less) than the XD and you get a better grip, higher capacity and a lighter sidearm.

PPS pistols seem to hold their value really, really well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
+1 on the PPS. I have two of them and they are flawless and I carry the 9mm every day. (The .40 sits in the safe only because I got the 9mm about 10 months earlier)

The Kel-Tec PF-9 is a good choice. A little harsh to shoot but once you get the bugs out they are good runners.

Liked my XD.40SC but it was like carrying a billet of steel in my pocket. Great reliability but heavy and clunky.

SP101 in .327 Fed Mag is a nice gun but ammo is not available at WM and can be a little pricey. .357 might be a better caliber to consider because of ease of availability.

Ruger SR9 is ok but they are investment cast slides and many MIM parts. Capacity is good but maybe an XD-M with a 19+1 capacity would be a better bedside gun.

P64 is nice (I just got one a yesterday) but according to P64 resource board there are no parts available for them at this time. I wouldn't want to outfit the wife with something that I wasn't 110% confident would work when and if she ever needed it to. Maybe a Sig P232 .380 or another PPS in 9mm. Or, dare I say, a Glock 26 or 27, or 33 (9mm, .40, .357 Sig)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't wait to get my hands on either of these two Sig's for concealed carry. The one with the exposed hammer (Sig P2238) is a .380 and the other (Sig P250) is an ultra compact in 9mm, .40S&W or .357SIG.

....but back on the subject, I just went out and shot my XD compact and my XD-M and I would go with the XD-M 100%.

+1 to Saifu as far as staying away from the Ruger SR9. If I was buying a Ruger and it wasn't going to be a revolver, it'd be the P345. I have one of them and it is a wonderful gun - would be great for the bedside and is actually a really nice conceal carry pistol too - very comfortable and reliable. They don't cost much either and the .45ACP is a wonderful round.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Did not see a Glock on that list.....

FAIL.

;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for all the input. I might decide to forgo the SR9 and purchase a full size tactical XD or even a Glock for my bedside pistol.

I am really excited about the PPS. I have heard good things about them and have handled them on several occasions while at one of many of my local shops. I suspect that will be the one I buy after the Polish P64.

I am not a big fan of glocks but I have to admit they are very good for what they are. I will probably purchase one of them as well. Just not sure what one I will go with.

I have also been considering the SP101 in .357 instead of the .327 Fed Mag. I agree that I think that the ammo will be much easier to get in .357. I am purchasing it for more of a backup CCW or possibly a CCW for my wife. She has shot several of my other wheel guns in .357 (I have since given them to my grandfather) and she wasn't fond of them, that is why I was considering the .327 Fed Mag because it is supposed to have similar affects to the .357 with 20% less recoil. As for me, I don't care one way or the other but I would like to have a gun that my wife will enjoy as well so that she will shoot it and be confortable with it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I HATED my PF9. That thing was a piece of crap from day one. I posted a few questions about it over at ktog and quickly found out that only positive things are allowed to be said about KTs or some Texas Moderator sends you ugly emails and cusses you out. That being said, My P11 was awesome for 10 long years and 10,000+ rounds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Please tell me the reason a 1911 isn't on the list, is because you already have one.:confused:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I HATED my PF9. That thing was a piece of crap from day one. I posted a few questions about it over at ktog and quickly found out that only positive things are allowed to be said about KTs or some Texas Moderator sends you ugly emails and cusses you out. That being said, My P11 was awesome for 10 long years and 10,000+ rounds.
What problems did you run into with your PF9? Kind of curious now :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please tell me the reason a 1911 isn't on the list, is because you already have one.:confused:
I don't have a 1911 as of yet. The list is weapons that I plan on purchasing between now and the end of the year, or maybe up to February.

My Current list is Quite simple.

Steyr M40-A1
Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro

I am planning on purchasing a 1911 with my tax returns next year as apposed to purchasing one throughout the year like these others on the list.

·
Registered
876 Posts
What problems did you run into with your PF9? Kind of curious now :D
After one trip to the range it seemed pretty loose. I called KT and some douche told me it was normal and not to worry about it. The next trip I wanted to try some of my carry ammo. I wanted to shoot at least 50 rounds of Remington Golden Sabers so that I knew they would feed. After I finished that box the gun was so loose and sloppy that it rattled when I walked. The slide was sooooo sloppy that it touched the inside of the dust gaurd on either side. I decided to see how this affected accuracy so I locked it in a bench stand and fired 2 magazines through it. At 10yards it had a 10" group with 3 fliers at 18" from Point of Aim. The bluing wore off the slide after 2 weeks as well. KT told me it was normal and that they would swap my slide for a parkerized one for $75.00. When I made mention of it on Ktog the moderator sent me some nasty emails and deleted my post.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
was your PF9 New or used? Just curious as to whether your problems might have been the lack of care given to it by someone else prior to you owning it.

This gives me a little cause for concern with the KelTek. I have heard good things about them from others but to be honest I am not excited about the DAO trigger system and would probably put this off as the last gun I buy on the list. I would probably just purchase it as a collection gun that I shoot occasionally.

Thanks for the input though

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL... you too? There's at least 3 of us on here with those now.
A senior user on another board i regularly visit who is a HUGE Makarov, P64 and CZ collector has told me that it is ok for me to shoot the steel cased Wolf and that if I have any problems with broken extractors or springs he will get me replacements. So keep this in mind and let me know if you need his contact info.

He said that he has fired 1000's of steel cased rounds through his P64 without issue. His only caveat was that Wolf was dirty and to clean accordingly after use.

·
Registered
876 Posts
was your PF9 New or used? Just curious as to whether your problems might have been the lack of care given to it by someone else prior to you owning it.
Unfortunately it was a brand new gun. I bought it at a local shop NIB. I have to say that it was 100% reliable and fired evertime I pulled the trigger. It never once failed to feed, fire or extract. I understand that it wasn;t made for accuracy and to high tolerances so I just sold it to someone that didn't care. I like my P3AT and loved my P11 I just think they sacrificed too much with the PF9.

A senior user on another board i regularly visit who is a HUGE Makarov, P64 and CZ collector has told me that it is ok for me to shoot the steel cased Wolf and that if I have any problems with broken extractors or springs he will get me replacements. So keep this in mind and let me know if you need his contact info.

He said that he has fired 1000's of steel cased rounds through his P64 without issue. His only caveat was that Wolf was dirty and to clean accordingly after use.
Yeah, most 9x18 from the combloc nations is steel cased. It'll be fine. I second his opinion of Wolf though. Their loads are dirty and extremely inconsistent.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Vaux,
would seriously consider getting a P64 if you think you may ever want to. They are only going to be on the market at the low prices until they run out. While that may seem far fetched, take a look at the Bulgarian Makarovs. These were $99 when they were first released to the US and I see them on GB for $400-$600 now.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts