Guns and Gasoline...

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by posterboy7, May 2, 2007.

1. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I feel very safe in my community but I still think of what-if scenarios and one of those scenarios involves being attacked at a gas station while fueling my vehicle. I am assuming a deserted station that is closed during the night but still has credit card pumps, like the one close to my house.

Does anyone know the risks involved in firing a gun near a gas pump, especially while in the fueling process?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would advise against it if you have a choice. If you don't, then you don't have a choice :p. If static transmission from your hand to your automobile can be enough to ignite a blaze, I have no doubt that muzzle blast could do the same. However, I would assume that so long as the pumps are "up to code", you would probably be OK, but how many times have you filled up and noticed your pump is missing its vapor shield (or whatever you call the cover thing :?)? If I were in the situation, I would draw and my immediate concern would be retreating away from the pumps. But like I said, if you don't have a choice and you're already facing an uplifted knife, gun, etc., does it really matter?

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I liked the advice of one gentleman that posted an afteraction at BlockTalk. He was fully prepared to douse the offender in gas, then draw. I think that will be my choice too. Then I can ventilate and ignite at the same time. Might want to take that flash hider off, 'Tax, you'll want the flame. :lol:

4. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I have thought of the douse and shoot idea too, but I prefer not to be immolated or blown up. And I am not certain I would want to survive either of those two things and have to recover from serious burns.

So, Thunderbear, what was the situation that this after action report was on and how did it conclude?

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

Guy decided he didn't want to rob anyone after all. :lol:

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

To paraphrase Jim Cirillo;
    Don't depend on quick draw; use your pre-planned tactics.
    As soon as you stick the nozzle in, you move away from the gas tank opening and you assume a scanning mode.

8. Ber3

Ber3 Guest

I've seen ppl smoking while in the gas station, talking on sel phones e.t.c.
    I've also seen the episode of "Myth busters" where they rifle-hit several times a car gas tank and nothing happening.
    :D
    If I was in a situation like that, I would concentrate on the first critical rounds and only after would I check the surrounding for any gas tang licks due to bullet hits... and if found... run like hell! :eek: