Gun safe and storage

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Steyrboy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Steyrboy

Steyrboy Guest

I'm looking for a quick access safe that I can put in my home. I have children and, of course, want to keep safety the #1 priority. I've read of people using cheap safes you get at walmart, but don't think that is the way to go. The "finger print" safe's look cool, but I wonder how good this method of access is...... and I can't imagine trying to use a key if I need my firearm quickly.

Any way, I was looking for some suggestions.

Also, I found these http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm and have heard they are good. Opinions.

Thanks. :wall:

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

The home push pad gun safes are good. You can bolt it down to the night stand and lock a pistol in it ready to go. I would recommend a "real" safe with fire protection and either an electronic keypad or tumbler. That will cost you.....$$$ but if you have a fair amount of guns and kids there is no question to the importance of having one......Not sure about the car safe lock thing.....Good if you are parked and out of the car but there is little immediate use of this method.......too slow......As for the safe, there are a multitude of good ones out there now with competitive prices so check out your local gun show and you'll find many. Even Walmart is selling a few for less $$$......

3. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Walmart has a great way to get stuff like gun safes that aren't usually in stock in the local stores by ordering it online and having it shipped to the local store for your pickup -- with no shipping costs! That's what I did with the upright Honeywell safe in the kneehole of my desk in the photo. It's three times the size of the small pistol safe on the bookshelf at upper left. I bought it online and paid shipping costs that were about half the cost of the gunsafe.
    [​IMG]

Both are good sturdy products with keypad entry and a key backup, but I wish I'd gone the Walmart way first, then I'd probably have one big safe instead of two small ones. :mrgreen:

5. Steyrboy

Steyrboy Guest

Thank you for the tips/insights. You've all been very helpful.

6. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

I wished I had waited just a little while longer to buy my safe...it was like $269 or so when I got it...then I went back like a month or two later and apparently, they were trying to get rid of all of their in stock gun safes...because they had one more of the model that I purchased...it was priced at $199 b/c it was the floor model and the last one they had in the store...I was so pissed.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...crap.....

I spent 1600 on my safe, and am already thinking I should have gone bigger....

...it fills up SOOOOOO fast.....

:? :?

8. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

mine holds 10 long guns and has a shelf. I had a rifle, shotgun, and pistol when I bought the safe (like 2 months ago)...I have since bought another rifle, have an M9-A1 on order, and a 1911 on the way as well...

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I feel ya......... :wall:

10. fivecup

fivecup New Member

Just a follow up opinion. When you are ready for a pistol safe, securely fastened in a handy location, the Fort Knox Pistol Box is great. This has a Simplex mechanical locking device and lifetime warranty. I finally broke down and purchased one from REDDYORNOT.COM (BEST PRICE I COULD FIND). I have had another popular brand pistol safe for years now with a 4 finger keypad and electronic lock which is a pain in the a.. to change batteries in and no indication of battery strength (some newer models may have this). Depending on where this is mounted (under something) you need a mirror to view the flashing red light, etc. as you reprogram the code everytime you change batteries. Also, if a firearm shifts near the lock mechanism, you may have to move a large piece of furniture to "shake" the firearm(s) away from the locking mechanism to open it even though there is a key override.

I am becoming anti battery in my middle age and appreciate the mechanical lock of the Fort Knox pistol box along with the 10 guage steel body and wrap around door and gas strut to assist opening. BTW, this box exceeds the CA Firearms Safety Device Requirements. So much for my ramblings....., I guess I have changed too many batteries :doh: .

11. Steyrboy

Steyrboy Guest

Fivecup,

Thanks for the input. The battery situation doesn't appeal to me either. I did come across the Fort Knox....glad you liked it and gave it a good review. I will check out the retailer you purchased from......

12. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I have this one for fast and safe access: http://www.gunvault.com/handgunsafesminivaultstandard/

I have one in the drawer of my bedside table and just added one in my workshop. The mini has a low battery indicator and a back-up key entry. The push buttons on the newer models have been improved. Most any handgun will fit along with mags and a small flashlight. The deluxe will hold more and has a light, but I would be concerned about battery drain and question whether a light would be desirable.

In my car I have the medium tethered Center of Mass and it is a quality unit. If I will be leaving the car for a time or go into a gun free zone the gun goes into it from my center console.

Buzz