Steyr Club Forums banner

gun lubricant

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  SELFDEFENSE 
#1 ·
PROLIX

anyone use this--works welll on glocks

#2 ·
Yes. I use it for a final pass through after removal of copper and fouling. Use the Prolix "oil" diluted a bit with a spray of the regular Polix- patch through the bore and store.

Wipe barrels and stocks with a large patch with a semi-wet patch. Cleans and shines eveything. Be careful not to use too much. No problems, just easy to overdo.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Actually, Eezox is generally considered "tops in rust protection". CLP usually doesn't fair as well as a lot of other products on the market. I'll see if I can't dig up links to a few tests tomorrow and report back. (why I don't bookmark this stuff is beyond me).

I personally go for Militec-1 or Eezox, depending on the climate and season.

#7 ·
One good one I was looking for seems to have been swept away by sigforum, but google still has cache...

This should work for awhile

There was a pretty good series of tests over at Sigforum by a few members, some more scientific than others. However, it seems that forum has since done some housekeeping and I can't find them :oops:. CLP never performed poorly, but usually did show signs of rust when Eezox and Boeshield held up. I always find it funny that WD40 does a pretty good job, too.

I'm starting to think we need to do our own Steyrclub gun-lube "shootout".... :twisted:

Now back on topic...

Prolix seems to be popular in the glock community. Here is something I found that compares Prolix to CLP, RemOil, and a few others. It seems Prolix didn't come out on top, and considering one can get RemOil or CLP at Walmart, I'd be inclined to just go that route if I didn't have other choices.

#8 ·
I've become a big fan of...

...Militec-1 over the last year or so, myself. I have applied it, using the heat-treatment (hairdryer), and it really does seem to lube better than any of the other items available in most stores. I tend to 'baby' all my guns (always have - and it's worked for the 40 or so years I've owned), giving a good cleaning after use, et cetera, so perhaps any decent product would hold up.

Only real problems I've run into has been with WD-40, which back in the 70's we thought was the best...not great for long-term storage, as I discovered when I had a couple put away for a few years in the early 80's. They just dried up, and I had a couple minor surface rust spots I needed to deal with.

#9 ·
Re: I've become a big fan of...

Seven said:
...Militec-1 over the last year or so, myself. I have applied it, using the heat-treatment (hairdryer), and it really does seem to lube better than any of the other items available in most stores. I tend to 'baby' all my guns (always have - and it's worked for the 40 or so years I've owned), giving a good cleaning after use, et cetera, so perhaps any decent product would hold up.

Only real problems I've run into has been with WD-40, which back in the 70's we thought was the best...not great for long-term storage, as I discovered when I had a couple put away for a few years in the early 80's. They just dried up, and I had a couple minor surface rust spots I needed to deal with.

Hey Seven!

Me too! I've only been using Militec for about four months or so, but I couldn't be happier w/ the product. I doubt I'll use anything else on my firearms other than Militec, Eezox, and M-PRO 7 Bore Gel.

M-PRO 7 Bore Gel cleans when Hoppes or other products just don't cut the mustard.

Militec penetrates metallic surfaces to lubricate even when wiped completely off. I was turned on to Militec by a Marine(Josh) who had served in Iraq.

Eezox, a local product(Solvang), is tops against rust, but it smells pretty bad(IMO)!
_______
mugdava

#11 ·
Syntax360 said:
You're crazy - Eezox smells awesome! The smell of Militec-1 and Eezox are my favorites. Eezox smells kinda bad when you first apply it, but when it dries it's awsome :twisted:.
Hey Syntax!

Yes, my sanity may be an issue for debate, but out of the bottle Eezox wreaks. :shock: You're right it smells much better dry! :wink:
_______
mugdava

#12 ·
I've switched to Mobile1 synthetic 20w50 for lubrication in guns.

CorrosionX for rust prevention. Was not tested in that Gun Zone trial, has been tested in others and performs top 1 or 2 in all that I've seen. It works fine for lube also.

Ben

#14 ·
SELFDEFENSE said:
"I love the small of Break Free in the morning"
+1

8)

#15 ·
I second SELFDEFENSE. I use breakfree CLP since it came out both for lubrication and as a bore cleaner. It works believe me. Less fouling and wear on the barrel because it coats the bore after a while and lets the bullet just slide. Hey self d. I remember that line "I love the smell of napalm (bomb) in the morning" - Apocalypse now movie ha ?

nixon,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.