gun lubricant

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by tjvr, Jan 25, 2007.

1. tjvr

tjvr Guest

PROLIX

anyone use this--works welll on glocks

2. Maddoxgl

Maddoxgl Guest

Yes. I use it for a final pass through after removal of copper and fouling. Use the Prolix "oil" diluted a bit with a spray of the regular Polix- patch through the bore and store.

Wipe barrels and stocks with a large patch with a semi-wet patch. Cleans and shines eveything. Be careful not to use too much. No problems, just easy to overdo.

Hope this helps.

3. cobra-viper

cobra-viper New Member

Castrol 20W50

Seriously.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Plain old lowly Breakfree.
    Tops in rust prevention.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Actually, Eezox is generally considered "tops in rust protection". CLP usually doesn't fair as well as a lot of other products on the market. I'll see if I can't dig up links to a few tests tomorrow and report back. (why I don't bookmark this stuff is beyond me).

I personally go for Militec-1 or Eezox, depending on the climate and season.

6. SELFDEFENSE

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

One good one I was looking for seems to have been swept away by sigforum, but google still has cache...

This should work for awhile

There was a pretty good series of tests over at Sigforum by a few members, some more scientific than others. However, it seems that forum has since done some housekeeping and I can't find them :oops:. CLP never performed poorly, but usually did show signs of rust when Eezox and Boeshield held up. I always find it funny that WD40 does a pretty good job, too.

I'm starting to think we need to do our own Steyrclub gun-lube "shootout".... :twisted:

Now back on topic...

Prolix seems to be popular in the glock community. Here is something I found that compares Prolix to CLP, RemOil, and a few others. It seems Prolix didn't come out on top, and considering one can get RemOil or CLP at Walmart, I'd be inclined to just go that route if I didn't have other choices.

8. Seven

Seven Premium Member

I've become a big fan of...

...Militec-1 over the last year or so, myself. I have applied it, using the heat-treatment (hairdryer), and it really does seem to lube better than any of the other items available in most stores. I tend to 'baby' all my guns (always have - and it's worked for the 40 or so years I've owned), giving a good cleaning after use, et cetera, so perhaps any decent product would hold up.

Only real problems I've run into has been with WD-40, which back in the 70's we thought was the best...not great for long-term storage, as I discovered when I had a couple put away for a few years in the early 80's. They just dried up, and I had a couple minor surface rust spots I needed to deal with.

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Re: I've become a big fan of...

Hey Seven!

Me too! I've only been using Militec for about four months or so, but I couldn't be happier w/ the product. I doubt I'll use anything else on my firearms other than Militec, Eezox, and M-PRO 7 Bore Gel.

M-PRO 7 Bore Gel cleans when Hoppes or other products just don't cut the mustard.

Militec penetrates metallic surfaces to lubricate even when wiped completely off. I was turned on to Militec by a Marine(Josh) who had served in Iraq.

Eezox, a local product(Solvang), is tops against rust, but it smells pretty bad(IMO)!
    _______
    mugdava

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You're crazy - Eezox smells awesome! The smell of Militec-1 and Eezox are my favorites. Eezox smells kinda bad when you first apply it, but when it dries it's awsome :twisted:.

11. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Syntax!

Yes, my sanity may be an issue for debate, but out of the bottle Eezox wreaks. :shock: You're right it smells much better dry! :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I've switched to Mobile1 synthetic 20w50 for lubrication in guns.

CorrosionX for rust prevention. Was not tested in that Gun Zone trial, has been tested in others and performs top 1 or 2 in all that I've seen. It works fine for lube also.

Ben

13. SELFDEFENSE

"I love the smell of Break Free in the morning"

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

+1

8)

15. nixon

nixon Member

I second SELFDEFENSE. I use breakfree CLP since it came out both for lubrication and as a bore cleaner. It works believe me. Less fouling and wear on the barrel because it coats the bore after a while and lets the bullet just slide. Hey self d. I remember that line "I love the smell of napalm (bomb) in the morning" - Apocalypse now movie ha ?

nixon,

16. SELFDEFENSE

Lieutenant Colonel William Kilgore (Robert Duvall) 1st Air Cav
    Air mobile, son.
    Surf's up.

17. nixon

nixon Member

Self D,
    Damn right. That's the very same exact line come to think of it. You must have loved this movie ha ha !

18. SELFDEFENSE

I have a copy of the Redux version with the bad scenes they cut out in the original version.