Grip Angle of the Stery MA1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by gunnie 12, Jul 29, 2007.

1. gunnie 12

gunnie 12 New Member

How is the grip angle on the Steyr pistol? Is it “as bad” as the Glock? I am used to a 1911 grip angle would I have trouble being accustomed to the Steyr?

2. Dag

Dag Guest

Grip Angle

Hi gunnie 12

I'm not sure of the exact angle, but the Steyr points like a 1911, at least for me. I've read the Steyr is 111 degrees, so the 1911 has to be close to that. I spent some time with Google, and couldn't find a listing for the grip angle for a 1911. Anyone know for sure? I would guess the Glock is something like 118 degrees, but that's only a guess. For me, the Glock is almost unuseable for point shooting. My son has always liked the grip angle of Glocks, so I gave it to him. That way he gets a gun he likes, and I get rid of one I don't like. Win, win. Anyway, if you like the grip angle of a 1911, I'm sure you'll like the Steyr.

Dag

3. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Not having shot many 1911's unfortunately, I am not very familiar with them.
    I hope to change that though.
    The grip angle is awesome. That was one of the selling points when I held it. All you have
    to do put it in your hand stick it in the air and you are pointing at what you are looking at.
    If you close your eyes and point with the pistol and open your eyes the pistol is pointing where
    you want it...
    I know there are others here with more 1911 experience then I, but please take a serious look at
    the Steyr you can't go wrong with it!
    oh and welcome and feel free to ask as many questions as you like, we don't bite...

4. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

I've got a few 1911s.

The Steyr has the same grip angle as the 1911 but because the rear tang sits so close up to the slide it points much higher the first time you use it.
    Nothing really bad that'll slow you down though as the front sight is easy to pick up that way :lol:
    The Steyr doesn't need the little "down pointing" in your wrist/hand to shoot straight.
    Just point your hand naturally like your punching and it's right on target.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The Glock feels like a block compared to the Steyr grip. 1911 hard to compare because it is a single stack which confounds the imfluence of the grip angle.

6. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Agreed, but my old M9 has a ovoid backstrap and side profile just like a 1911.
    It feels closer to the 1911 than any other plastic fantastic.
    That's what drew me to Steyr in the first place.

7. nixon

nixon Member

the Steyr's grip angle is 111 degrees. The 1911 is slightly less. Steyr's pointabilty is excellent that with practice, it becomes automatic to align the sights. Takes a little bit of time to get used to the tri-trap sights.

Have a good day !

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

The grip angle of a 1911 is very different then a Steyr. If you don't like a Glock you won't like a Steyr, the angle for the Glock is 105 degrees. The 1911 is more wrist neurtral if you have the flat backstrap, while the Steyr and Glock are "flexed"............I don't remember the exact angles, but I'd be wary unless you try one.........1911's, HK's, Beretta's are more similar in angle.

I'm revisiting this post......I think the larger then normal intent in the thumb/index finger web area changes the profile of the Steyr..........I perceived that as a larger grip angle. I once filled in the indent and made the grip flat all the way up the frame.......the recoil increased and I wound up dremelling it out.........It felt more like a 1911 with a flat backstrap, when the space was filled in........

9. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Funny, I've aways found it to be the other way around.
    The 1911 with the arched MSH helped but the muzzle still pointed down a little.
    The flat MSH made it worse. YMMV

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Bullet, that is correct for the arched backstrap, which was the original. I don't have any arched ones so the angle is less pronounced...........that is one of the reasons I revisited my original posting. I like the arched angle better myself, more like the Glock, more natural pointing IMHO................ 8)

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've never shot a stock Glock, so I don't know beans about how it compares to the Steyr grip. But about all I ever shot for the first 50+ years of my life were 1911s and I always found the grip angle to be perfect for me.

But the same is true for my M357-A1, so it must be pretty close if not the same as a 1911. And my customized G29 has the grip angle reduced to 1911 angle, so of course, I love the way it shoots, too.

I'm planning to take a serious look at a stock G20, so I'll definitely want to find one at a range I can shoot before I jump into that particular pool. If I don't like the stock Glock grip or the stock Glock trigger, it will be time for Plan B.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I just compared my 1911 (Sig GSR) to my M9A1, and it looks to be really close but not exact. They both point very naturally for me. And BTW - I hate everything about the feel and looks of glocks - they point like a 2x4 or lego gun to me, but YMMV...

13. steyrile

steyrile Member

My old carry piece was a Colt Defender. The new carry piece, an M9 points much the same way for me. That Defender was a wonderful weapon but this Steyr has turned out to be a lot more fun to shoot. Unfortunately, accuracy-wise I'm much better with the standard Tanfoglio Witness Combat! :oops:
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Can you give us a quick review of your user experience with the Witness? The full-size "steel" Witness in Wonder Finish or the Elite Match in either 10mm or .38 Super is pretty high on my list for the "baddest full-size pistol I can afford."

[​IMG]

I can get an Elite Match .38 Super for $475 locally and the "steel" Witness for about $425, so they're the most affordable pistols on my list. What caliber is yours?

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

that's a great price for a match pistol........wonder what the trigger is like and how much you'd have to put in it to smooth it out, if any........?

16. steyrile

steyrile Member

Net:
    I bought the Witness as a package deal with three slide/barrel combinations giving 22lr, 9X19 and 45 calibers. Overall, the kit appeared only slightly used and cost $400 out the door which was a steal.
    Mine is the standard steel frame 45 and is as well made as anything out there, shoots great with zero malfunctions EXCEPT constant stovepiping with the 22lr slide. The USA importer EAA is not very good at customer relations from my experience so far but luckily I've not had any problems with the 9mm or 45 components. This has been a fantastic shootin iron!
    I found a bit on Witness gunsmithing at savvy survivor you will find interesting. http://www.savvysurvivor.com/tanfoglio_ ... ithing.htm and http://www.savvysurvivor.com/gearrevewt ... pistol.htm cover a lot of territory on these guns and accessories. Not sure if Alex is still around but it's great his site is available as it was obviously a labor of love.
    $475 seems a great value for what you will be getting with the Elite Match. Black and Wonder Finish make a beautiful combination similar to the Sphinx : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ct7Y9EbUA
    Incidently, the 38SA mags are the same as the 9mm used in the large P-series Witness.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for the EAA info, steyrile. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting stuff on that savvysurvivor site, particularly his conversion kits for EAA pistols. First I ever heard of a 357 Sig conversion kit, plus he also has a .40 S&W barrel which will drop in a 10mm Witness. I'm not a .40 fan, but it's an option that's worth considering for a SHTF plan.

If I get a Witness, I'd like 10mm and the Elite Match looks like the best deal I've seen. However, the Elite Match a local dealer found for me at the promised $475 price is .38 Super. I already knew it would chamber 9x23 also, but didn't know it would also handle 9x19 standard 9mm. The 10mm Witness does seem hard to find.

I've already got more different calibers than I ought to have: .22, 9mm, 357 Sig, 10mm, 30'06 and 12 gauge, so adding .38 Super and 9x23 to the mix would be idiotic. But I'm already an idiot, so why not? When you're up to six already, what's a couple more? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Anyway, my whole plan is pretty much stuck on go right now. The new website I'm supposed to be building is waiting on pretty much everything from my new customer, who is in St. Louis. She's in no hurry a'tall and until the job is finished and money is in hand, I won't be doing any buying for my latest addition to my SHTF plan.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mrgreen:

18. spokes

spokes New Member

I always thought the angle on the Glock was perfect for me. I know it looks blocky but when you put it in your hand it feels great. I shoot and have a rack of 1911's. They are fun but I do not really care for the grip angle.
    Another pistol with a grip that I like is the EAA Witness. Feels great, but I would never buy another. Service people are very rude and not helpful at all.
    But W A I T!!!!!!!!!!!! wait until you pick up a Steyr MA1. I don't think any company will ever come close to the perfect fit of the Steyr. It is just incredibly perfect. Cannot wait for a S357A1.
    Oh and to the folks that helped me out about my question about Montana Gold. Thanks, their product is indeed superb.

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

You, me, Wulf and several other Steyroids. I'm beginning to wonder if our ship is ever coming in. :(

20. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The angle and the sum of the other ergonomics of the Steyr grip is better for mr than my 1991 Colt