Steyr Club Forums banner

Greetings from Finland!!!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  some_finn 
#1 ·
Hi!

I'm a brand new member on this site. I was looking for some information about Steyr M9A1, because I am thinking of buying my own 9 mm gun. So far I've been shooting my fiancé's Glock and it's not suitable for my little hands :) Another gun I've been shooting is CZ75, but somehow I just don't like it in my hands. After visiting this site for first time, I have made my mind and I'm going to get Steyr M9A1...but only if I get a lisence from police to do that.

Is there any female steyroids who can tell how this gun fits to female hands or someone who knows how it fits? And is it possible to move sights in up-down directions? Or is there sights in different hights available?

#2 ·
I think Steyr would be a great fit for someone with small hands. I have mddium hands (for a guy :wink: ) and find it a tad small for me.

the sights are not adjustable, and I don't think there are any adj. sights availabe for the gun. But you can get night sights for it.

#4 ·
Welcome!

My wife loves my S9, not so much because of the size of the grip, but because of the low felt impact, because of the design.

Regardless, welcome to the club, and good luck finding that M9A1 !

#5 ·
You can't move the sights at all? At any direction...not even left/right? :-s

It's said that these M9's are really accurate on short distances, but how about in longer distances...like 25-30 meters? Are the trapezoid sights usable for these distances or do I have to replace them?

Is M9A1 available in left-handed version? Or can it be converted?

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum. With small hands you might consider the S9A1. I am a male with small hands, I own the older M9 and S9, and prefer the fit of the S9. Because of its shorter height, it only holds 10 rounds instead of the 14or 15 you can get with the M9, and it is a little less accurate because of the shorter barrel length (maybe just because the front and rear sights are closer). Both are incredibly easy and fun to fire, compared with a Glock. As a personal defense firearm the accuracy isn't an issue, while the shootability certainly is. The most common problems you read about are FTE - failure to extract, and FTF- failure to fire. Steyr redesigned the extractor for the new models, but some still report problems. I have personally never had a problem with either of my Steyr pistols.

#9 ·
I think that I can't get the S9 because it's size. It propably goes to cathegory "concealed carry gun". And "a normal person" can't get a lisence to that...you have to be a cop, for example, to get one. And I need more than 10 rounds, so I think the M9 is my choice. Only problem here is that I've found only two places where M9 is available to try in my own hands and both are so far away from where I live. I've got some worries that it doesn't fit to me after all. I'm going to ask the local dealer if he can get one for me to try. I'll keep you posted... :)

#10 ·
Hiya Fire* :)

...need more than 10 rounds....
Plan C: S9-A1 with an S40 factory mag, a +10% Power Wolff magazine spring, mag body lips tweaked to accommodate the 9MM = 12-13 rounds. Add a stainless steel Sigma 40 15-round mag converted for S9 gives you an extra 19-20 rounds, depending on the spring hack.

Hmmm...12 + 19 = 31, at least. :twisted: You will probably find that the difference between the S9 and M9 isn't very significant, dimensionally speaking. If ya get the opportunity to travel to your nearest dealer that has 'em both in stock and put 'em in your hand, that's your absolute best bet. Another idea is to go to your local shootin' range and see if anyone knows how to get in touch with some local Steyr M and S Series owners. Some range officers keep up with that sort of thing. Heck, every range I've taken my M357-A1 to, a quick couple barks has the RO's attn and its only a matter of time til I feel the need to answer a few questions about this "unconventional firearm". :wink: The S9 grip is fine for a small-mediaum hand. They really aren't that compact, more an M Series with a Hollywood nip and tuck. Anyway, good luck.

:) Wulf

#11 ·
As Firecracker wrote, the S9 is classified as a "pocket pistol" here in Finland and is only available to LE or firearms collectors and such special cases.
Actually if the M9 and M40 were just the tiniest bit smaller in any dimension, they would also drop into the box into which pistols may not fit (180x130mm, about 7" by 5").

Too bad it's difficult to get a "hands on" trial where ever you happen to live.
The grip is very close to the CZ 75 grip in terms of both circumference and trigger reach (compared to CZ's SA trigger position).
The grip shape is of course a bit different and it's hard to to describe the differences in that respect.
I have both a CZ 75 and an M40 and the I think they have maybe the two best grips there are, at least they would be included in a very short "top something" list.
Both fit many kinds of hand sizes and shapes very well.
My hand is borderline L/XL and neither grip feels too small to me, on the other hand.

#13 ·
I just picked up my m40-a1 yesterday and so my wife hasn't shot it yet, but she has held it and REALLY likes the fit. She is small. Only 5' tall, I don't know the conversion to meters but it's short. Small hands as well. It fits very well in her hands. the only other semi-auto she has shot was a glock 9mm it was too big for her.

#14 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for the comments!

What happened my nice colored messages??? Banned with the color :D

Really nice to "see" other Finns in here!!! Tell me more about your Steyr... :D If I get my hands on that one :D Do you know about the prices here in Finland?

About Steyr owners here...well, there are none...believe me, I've asked. Nobody I know hasn't held it and very few has even heard about Steyr handguns. Steyr rifles are more common. One firearm magazine has written an article about it (M9), but nobody remembers which it was, so I can't check it out. And I found one article (finnish language) in the net that compared Glock, H&K USP and Steyr M9...Steyr was (once again) REALLY, REALLY nice for woman :D So I'm going to "buy a pig in a bag" and hoping that it fits or if it doesn't I'll get it out of my hands easily. Just joking, I have my darling fiancé who gets another "plastic gun" then...hope he throws that Glock to swamp :D But I REALLY think that it will fit and I'm getting a REALLY, REALLY nice gun for myself!!!

#15 ·
Firecracker said:

Tell me more about your Steyr...
Do you know about the prices here in Finland?
pics here

The "rifle" classified version with the long barrel costs 2000€ at Hantaurus.

Firecracker said:
So I'm going to "buy a pig in a bag" and hoping that it fits or if it doesn't I'll get it out of my hands easily. But I REALLY think that it will fit and I'm getting a REALLY, REALLY nice gun for myself!!!
Let us know how it all works out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.