Grand Power

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by LinzTexas, Feb 22, 2019.

1. LinzTexas

LinzTexas Member

Does anyone here have experience with the Grand Power?
    I m currently fascinated with rotating barrel designs, and the one on the X-Calibur sure looks well built.
    The fact that there are models with a fibre front sight already installed is also appealing to me!

Tempted to order one :)

SurfGent likes this.
  2. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

As a former Czech state I'd say they must be good to go. I don't have one or shot one but i have many cz guns and the Czechs make good stuff. A old German machinist friend of mine told me the Czechs and former Yugoslavia had good machine work culture. As Americans commonly have the opinion that German machine work equals quality. Its just the germans have had a trade relationship with the us since the end of world war 2 and the others not since after 1990. Im still waiting to come across one at a local GS

LinzTexas likes this.

3. jhb

jhb Member

I dont own that one, but I got a rotating barrel sig mauser in .45. it's a neat design and works well. I expect the grand power to be better made than my old m2.

LinzTexas and SurfGent like this.
  4. nordic77

nordic77 Premium Member

I've had an X-Calibur for a couple years. Very flat shooter and reliable. The trigger shape is a little weird, but I only notice it shooting double action. The biggest problem is magazines. They can be hard to find and are not cheap, especially the hi cap ones. I picked up a holster from Red Hill Tactical and run it in local matches. Being a lefty, I really like the controls. I swapped the mag release so the large button is on the right side and I love that. There is no decocker on the X-cal, which can be a problem for some folks, it doesn't bother me. The double action is pretty decent and single action is great! New shooters I've taken out enjoy this pistol because of the trigger and mild recoil, even more than my Steyr. Very good bang for the buck, especially if you want to get into competition.

LinzTexas likes this.
  5. nordic77

nordic77 Premium Member

One other thing, the take down can be a pain the first few times until you get the hang of it. Definitely different than most pistols.

6. LinzTexas

LinzTexas Member

Yeah there are a lot of things on that pistol that are different, and it seems to cry out to me: try me !
    Why did you sell your Xcal?

7. nordic77

nordic77 Premium Member

I still have it, don't think I will get rid of it, maybe when the hi vp9l comes out. I do like ambi controls!