Got my Steyr today! (Ammo question too)

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DoubleTap, Apr 11, 2007.

1. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Hey guys! Been lurking for a while deciding what pistol to buy, finally decided on a M40-A1, mostly thanks to the posts here. Thanks all for the great info! You guys seem to have a great community here, I look forward to maybe being a part.

Quick question...i've heard that the Steyrs can be kinda picky about ammo. Is there any in particular you all have had trouble with that is hould steer clear from?

2. amonkey

amonkey New Member

I think the obvious one is Wolf ammo.
    Steel cases bad...lacquered cases bad...
    You get what you pay for.
    But the only other real malfuction that I have had in my M40 was a FTE with a reloaded round.
    Even PMC works good in mine, though i have heard other Steyroids treat it like the plague.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Remington UMC is a known offender. There is a thread that covers this question in depth - see here...

4. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

haha, i completely missed that thread. sorry for the noob question, i'm gonna go hide under a rock now.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No problem - that's what we're here for. :)

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Only probs I've had in my M40 was with Wolf, and they didn't emerge until after I'd shot about 200 rounds up. Apparently built up gunk in the chamber. It got so bad that we had to tap one case out with a dowell from the front...at an IDPA match. Kinda hard on the completion time.

Rem UMC was fine from my M40, about 2 boxes was all I shot.

Good luck.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Tap :)

Welcome to the Club. You're gonna love your new M40-A1. :) I ain't much into factory ammo so I can't help ya there, but I'd pay attention to what is being offered you by way of ammo info from these experienced Steyromaniacs. 8) Just wanted ya to feel welcomed and to encourage you to ask and share. And you're right...this is a good online fraternity. Enjoy. :)

Wulf

8. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

Hey DoubleTap. Welcome aboard. I've shot some pretty cheap brass ammo with no problems. The one box of lacquered ammo I shot gummed my chamber up pretty good.

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard DT!

I haven't found anything that won't shoot well in my M357-A1 or M40A1, but so far all I've shot is WWB FMJs and JHPs, Speer Lawman TMJs (which my 357 truly loves and shoots better than any other FMJ), Speer Gold Dot HPs and Hornady HPs in two different weights, 125 and 147 grain.

The advice in the ammo thread is much more detailed, but you're OK as long as you stay away from Wolf and UMC and some don't have any trouble with UMC. These pistols are not picky about ammo except the cheap Wolf.

Don't forget to post range reports. We'll be looking for one soon. :mrgreen:

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

the pistol cases are not laquered. I have used a few thousand Wolf rounds in my m9 and Glocks without a single failure....but some folks here will say Wolf is no good. I don't have the same experience in any of my pistols firing Wolf.....but I also maintain my guns above and beyond the average......so I'll go on the other side of this choice and say give it a try.

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I also recall one member saying Sellier & Bellot .40 didn't work well in his M-A1...

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The Wolf pistol cases are not laquered, but they have some type of powderized polymer coating applied that replaced the lacquer coating. I suspect that this plastic-based coating is what gunked my chamber.

13. nixon

nixon Member

go to the ammo section... there's a lot of postings regarding ammo experiences by members.

nixon

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have not had any trouble with 9mm; but I would not practice with UMC or Wolff in a carry gun anyway.