Got my M9A1!!!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by AllenTC2, Sep 5, 2007.

1. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

Haven't taken it to the range yet, but I have to say, it's the best feeling pistol I've had in my hand, short of the 1911. Questions....will the slide release get easy to actuate?? LOL Good Lord.....I must have some weak-assed thumbs!!! And what about the mags.....will they eventually drop freely, or will I need to get used to "stripping" them out?

2. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Slide releases are typically stiff with an empty magazine because you have full spring tension via the follower to the slide release lever.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. A good cleaning first is in order. I like the feel of the M even better than my 1911. I wish my mags did not drop freely, but yours probably will after cleaning.

4. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

Thanks for the info. I did wipe down everything. Mine was pretty dry...though now that I think about it, I didn't touch the magazines.

As for the slide release....I understand that the mag follower is what engages it, but it shouldn't require both thumbs to release should it??

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Sounds like yours could use a good lube. Maybe use Madecov's rule and leave it dripping!

As for the double-thumb slide release, mine was never stiff at all. Sounds like it really needs breaking in good.

Clean it good, mags, too, lube it down and shoot it up, early and often. :mrgreen:

6. jmlpa

jmlpa Guest

prepare your gun well

I used the detailed maintainance guide on the club home page and my new 9mm worked flawlessly. Try it, it will help.congrats on your new gun enjoy it.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Mine was never a 2-thumb release even when brand new.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Mine drops free in both conditions and is easy to press. Perhaps take the mag release out, give it a nice coat of oil, and reinstall it? Perhaps something isn't seated right? It's very simple to remove and reinstall and it's on the tutorial on our homepage.