Got my first A1 ... have a question

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Zundfolge, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Tonight I picked up a new-to-me M9-A1 that appears to be one of the "transitional" A1s (slide is just marked M9, not M9-A1).

Are there any differences other than engraving between this one and the newer ones?

Do they newer ones still have the LCI under the rear sight? I don't know why but for some reason I thought I read that they were doing away with it (mine has an LCI just like my first generation M40 and S40).

I did try to put my carbine stock on the A1 frame and I can tell you right now, it won't go (if one were to cut off the little bit of the grip with the lanyard hole so the entire bottom edge of the magwell was flush like the first generation ones, I bet it would work ... the slot inside the grip is there, so those of you with A1s that want an IGB carbine kit, take that into consideration ... I also imagine the plastic on the IGB carbine kit could be whittled on with a dremmel until it fit, which would probably be the better way to fix it ... I bet IGB modifies their carbine kits to work with the new design soon, if they haven't already).

I haven't taken this new gun to the range, but I'm thinking I like the new grip better than I thought I would. From a purely aesthetic sense, I still prefer the 1st Generation Steyrs, but handling this A1 has me appreciating some of the changes.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Well that's interesting... used to be pretty well accepted that the carbine kit didn't work on the A1's until IGB said the frames were virtually identical and that it would work with no problems...

It seems that's blown out of the water. :wall: I would be very hesitant to order an IGB carbine kit for the A1 now...

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Unless IGB has modified the carbine kit to work with the A1 frame, I agree.

However when I look at it closely, I can see where hitting the carbine kit with a dremmel in a couple of spots would probably make it work fine.