Got a Steyr GB - neat design

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ikorman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ikorman

ikorman New Member

I picked up a military version of the Steyr GB: no crinkle finish or bluing, just parkerized all over. The barrell really makes this pistol stand out. The polygonal rifling looks stunning! Much better than an HK.

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Congrats! You will find many GB fans on this site. I am now on my second GB, the first one that I regretfully sold in the military finish that you have. Less than 10% of the already limited production were in that finish. Some find the military finish ugly, I happen to like it quite a lot and when I had one I found the crinkle finish ugly. The green tint of the military is quite nice. The bluebook puts the value of the military finish lower than the commercial crinkle, but I doubt that and to me the rarity of the military may even make it more desirable for a collector.

I think that you'll find the gun to be an amazing shooter. It is dead accurate. Considering the fixed barrel and polyginal rifling that's no surprise. With the gas system recoil is incredibly light. Hopefully your gun came with spare mags as they are as rare as hen's teeth and often sell for between $150 and $200. People have been known to buy guns just for their mags sometimes selling the extras to help pay for the gun.

BTW, keep those gas ports around the barrel clean, and do not shoot lead (non-jacketed) bullets.

For more info on your GB you can go to:
    http://remtek.com/arms/steyr/gb/gb.htm
    http://www.steyraug.net/gb.htm

Welcome to the GB owners club. A significant part of the membership is made up of those guys who once had one and wish they never would have sold it. Do yourself a favor and never sell yours. Mine is a keeper.

Buzz

3. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

Could you post some picture of it ? It seems this version can't be seen "as often" as the crinkle finish one.

Besides, I just came accross this on a french guns & militaria shop site :
    [​IMG]
    Notice the hammer spur and the thingy on the back strap (intended for some shoulder stock ? Some lanyard ? Shouldn't be much comfortable to the shooting hand)

"Target sight" aren't much appealing neither.

If this is an after market job, considering the normal front sight is integral of the slide, wouldn't this mean some heavy gunsmithing ?

Or worse, this came directly from Steyr. :shock:

I remember having seen another GB with adjustable sights once on a german guns auction site, some years ago.

Anyway, they ask 645€ (894 $) for it and they provide a spare mag.

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

That gun also has the far less common hammer type.

Buzz

5. Broondog

Broondog New Member

hi guys, i'm new here. i recently aquired my own GB and this particular thread prompted me to register here.

you see, my GB has the exact same sight config as the one in the pic just above. i have searched the net high and low looking for info about this. i know that the sights are not factory original. i HAVE found out that they are Millett target sights, but i want to know who put them on? factory or end user? i've contacted Steyr USA and Steyr Austria, but both have no idea. i'm currently waiting on a response from GSI to see if maybe they did it in their custom shop. do any of you guys know anything about the factory or importer doing custom work like this?

the thing is that i don't particularly care for the sights, especially the front ramp. they get hung up in a holster, and that's not cool. but if it's a "special" model or custom job i don't want to alter it and trash any possible "extra" value associated with it. i am also pretty sure i could never score factory sights to bring it back to original. mags are hard enough to find!

an 01FFL buddy of mine who dealt these brand new told me he had never seen one like this before. plus he is unsure about a particular marking that my GB has that his personal one does not. it's marked on the slide and the frame XII82, just after the serial number.

does anybody have a clue?

[​IMG]

6. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

Well, my two GBs ("crinkle" ones) do have those markings, the first one serial # P032xx vii82 and the other one P049xx ix82.

As they are just beside de proof markings, I came to guess that it's probably the month/year when they were proofed (in Austria).

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Learned something today, what the GB in Steyr GB pistols stands for. And it ain’t “gas blowback” as some claim. You GB guys probably already know this, but I didn't.

The name game part I: auto pistols” in Guns Magazine, Feb, 2005 by J.B. Wood says:
    Found this in a online database of Guns Magazine articles covering 1999 to the current issue.

8. Illaheman

Illaheman New Member

I am seriously looking into the idea of modifying my GB to put adjustable sights on it. My little heart did a flip when I saw the picture you attached.

Are there other examples or pictures of this modification out there? Anyone know the best competent gunsmith that would make this alteration reasonably and understands the GB. I am thinking about installing Dawson adjustables, much like I have on my XD tactica, which I enjoy using.

I love my my early model flat hammer GB...I'm less enamored by the sights...I'm not worried that it will drop in value.

What do you know?

9. spiegeldom

spiegeldom New Member

Hi,ikorman
    1 year ago I picked up a GB whith an original Steyr muzzlebreak.Have you ever seen such thing?If you are interested I could send you a picture of it.

10. dash

dash Member

I have a muzzle brake for my GB as well spiegeldom. Finally got around to using it again this past Monday. It's been a while since the last time, but I've changed my focus from buying guns for the collection to shooting some of them and finding accessories for others.
    Let me see if I can find the picture thread...found it. Great gun and I'm very happy to get her out again!

https://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/2959-OFFICIAL-Steyr-Weapon-Photo-Thread/page14