Good to finally meet you all! And I have a question... or 2

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by majette, Jun 20, 2007.

1. majette

majette Member

hi, i am a new M9-A1 owner, purchased mine at the end of May from a local gunshop where a friend works. I registered here the next day but it has taken this long to actually get access. (thanks Syntax360!). after firing it i have been impressed by the accuracy and feel. i noticed it would lock back ever so often and i just chalked it up to possibly the mags needing to break in. i chatted a few times on IRC at #Steyrclub, learned how to disassemble for detailed cleaning and lost the spring holding the safety /lockout piece. when i disassembled i noticed that from the pics on the site of the M9 disassembly that mine did not have a slide release spring. i chalked it up to possibly being a change from the M9 to M9-A1. found the small spring that had launched itself across the room after 30 minutes of looking intermingled with some rather colorful language. a few days later i went to the range again and got more frequent slide locking back and now the slide release lever would slide out slightly and could be spun 360 degrees with minimal effort. back to the #Steyrclub chat where i was given the contact info for Steyr. one phone call acknowledging my need to send it in and i was at UPS overnighting it to GA. got it back Monday but i have not been to the range yet to see how it is. the slide lever spring was replaced, extractor was upgraded, and so was the recoil assembly. it also appears the feed ramp was polished as well.

question 1

since there is an upgrade to these parts, does anyone think when the next round of M and S series guns are imported they will have a new designation, -A2?

question 2

i have purchased an Insight X2 light laser. when it is attached it looks like this:

[​IMG]

it sits too far forward to engage the on/off lever with my index finger without changing my grip. pushed to the rear, where it does not latch, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

perfect for on/off lever engagement and also the front of the light is flush with the front of the slide. but it is not stable as there is no slot in the rail in the rear. (newer glocks and a few other guns have multiple slots in the rail). can anyone here make a shim out of a black polymer/plastic so i can have the X2 rearward? like this:

[​IMG]

it can be made longer so i can trim it down to the exact length, main thing is to have it the exact width of the frame and to fit snug (not too tight so i can change it easily). thanks!

-Adrion

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

The X2 light was designed specifically for the Ultra Compact XD.So there's really nothing you can do with it.

I doubt there will be an A2 variation for a long time. I think the first gun we'll see imported again will be the SA1.

Welcome to the club and shoot well.

3. majette

majette Member

all i need is someone to fashion a piece of polymer/plastic that will slide into the slot on the rail so i can make it stay to the rear when i put it on. heck, i may even keep it on all the time as i picked up the x2 because it is minimalist and fits in the gun area rather than a big hanger on like the glock light.

[​IMG]

if i can't get this done, i may have another solution as well. as always, though, function over fashion!