Good break in ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by stdsmc19, Jan 15, 2008.

1. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

I'm a working man and wondering what the best ammo for breaking in a m9a1 is? I plan on going shooting this next Sunday and get all the christmas presents some range time so any advice would be helpful. Thanks a bunch

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Go down to Walmart and buy Winchester White Box in 100 pack or CCI Blazer Brass, whichever is cheapest. You can't go wrong with either one and every Steyroid here has used either or both with no problems. As Wulf would say, "Shoot the p*** out of it."

Then report back with a range report. Welcome aboard. :mrgreen:

3. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

Thanks I've used some of the speer gold dot short barrel in my P5 as well as remington and winchester white box bought as much as I could my academy gift card when i was down there last time so I imagine it should be great stuff to break it any word on cci blazer brass or aluminum case or wolf ammo?

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Stay away from the Wolf, Remington UMC, and S&B stuff. Blazer brass and aluminum are my favorite, followed by WWB.

5. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

Thanks a lot guys I'll try and post a range report and some pics from this Sunday.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Best buy on ammo I've been able to find is Georgia Arms. Went to the Raleigh, NC, gun show today and stocked up. Got 500 rds. of .357 Sig 125 gr. and 500 rds. of 10mm 180 gr., both "Canned Heat" FMJ factory reloads. Mugdava uses Canned Heat and says they're pretty hot and well named. Also got 100 rds. of .44 Special 180 gr. Gold Dot HPs from GA for my new S&W Model 21.

GA's .44 Special range ammo is SASS "Cowboy Loads" rated at 750 fps, so I decided I'd see if I could find a good buy on full-house .44 Special range ammo. Found some right next to the GA booth by Mac's Reloads of Virginia Beach, Va. Mac is Terry W. McManuels, retired Navy master chief, Navy Competition and U.S. National Match pistol shooter at Camp Perry. I'll be sending more business his way.

From Mac, got 200 rds. of 240 gr. Semi Wad Cutter for $18 per 50 (50 cents cheaper per box than GA) and 300 rds. of 240 gr. Plated Flat Nose for $20.50 per 50. I've got plenty of 9mm and .45 ACP, so I'm set for range ammo for a while.

Here's what 1,600 rds. of ammo looks like. GA put the Canned Heat in NATO metal cans.

[​IMG]
    :mrgreen:

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

got some GeorgiaAmmo to for the 357sig and 10mm. They had the best prices for new ammo. Seems to be good, but I haven't chronoed the stuff. Since they are new manufactor. I know Tactical Response has some conflict with G.A. and doesn't want anyone using their ammo for the courses. But who knows what that is about. Maybe they wouldn't give them a good price for ammo.. :think: Maybe the reloaded stuff wan't as good......don't know, can only guess........Gotta stick up for Wolf again... :doh: thousands of rounds, no problemo.......

8. balbee76

balbee76 Guest

What issues come up with using Remington UMC 9mm ammo? I did not read this post before I went shopping so I have 2 boxes of it. Planning on using it to break the weapon in. I am a bit scared now.
    any advice is welcome.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No reason to be scared, but don't expect the pistol to feed/extract 100%. It'll all (probably) go bang, but UMC doesn't jive right with the Steyrs for some reason and shooting it usually does not result in a "smooth" shooting experience...

10. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

Before reading about UMC, I'd put a LOT of it through my M40A1 and my wife's M9A1. The M40 doesnt seem to like it. Out of a box of 250, I usually get 5 that dont go off. The M9 has never had an issue with it....

11. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

UMC in 40sw tends to work fine in my M40's
    UMC 9mm in M9's however the ammo seems loaded light. few times it didnt have enough power to
    properly cycle and eject the spent casing. batches will vary.

I love CCI ammo wish my walmarts and other stores stocked it at nice price.
    prefer CCI blaser brass cause those can be reloaded.

winchester works reliably.

wolf may work fine I just choose not to use it because steel casing is harder on steel parts than brass or aluminum. steel casings have been hard on ejectors and extractors.

whatever you do save your brass. shoot enough steel or aluminum might be able to sell it for scrap.
    brass is reloadable if not by you someone else sell it get a box of ammo.

12. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

I started picking up my brass...I'll probably start reloading eventually. There is a guy that hangs out at the local public range that I frequent and he picks up everything brass bigger than .22. He sells all the brass he picks up. Makes quite a bit from what I've heard too.