Glock Problems...

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by flyandscuba, Jun 16, 2007.

1. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

A replay of the Glock 9mm NYPD problem?
    Wonder if Glock changed anything or they are having a bad run.
    Makes Steyr ejection problems look rather tame.

3. SELFDEFENSE

While on the Gunzone splash page I saw this video.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/dea-nd.html
    You just can't make this stuff up.
    "I'm the only one in this room professional enough......that I know of, to carry a Glock 40." :?

4. smores

smores Guest

lol.... I hope I don't get issued a Glock at any point :p

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Nobody is mentioning problems with the G23, which means either that departments haven't bought (m)any recently or only the full-sized 22 and subcompact 27 are having problems while the compact 23 is not, which seems strange.

Welp, my G23 is right as rain.

6. SELFDEFENSE

It's not the Glock that's the problem; its the Glockee.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:lol: I whole heartedly agree. :lol:

Aesthetics aside, the whole "glock culture" is the reason I have a particular disdain for them. I've had them pushed on me too many times by way too many moronic people to ever lose my stigma, I think. Still, reliability would probably be the last question in my mind if I had to own one - they have been proven rock solid in that regard more times than any of us can probably count, and glock reliability is (I hate to admit) the standard by which all others seem to be judged. And of course there will be exceptions - no one mass produces anything without a few lemons here and there - but 9 times out of 10, one can point the blame at the user (read reloads) when a glock goes kaboom.

A fully supported chamber in the .40's would clear up much cause of concern, though...

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Maybe I am not understanding what Syn and selfdefense mean; the problems reported by the department in question seemed to be gun related, a bad batch, as is were...

Personally, I think Glock compact models are almost perfect. Yes, the trigger could be better, and I have no clue why, after all of these years, Glock continues to to put those U and dot sights on their guns, but in terms of size, capacity, reliability, simplicity and durability, Glock compacts are terrific. That said, its just a fracking gun, a tool, cool yes, but a machine, and all machines are prone to failure, no matter how close to "perfection" they may be.

...of course I am saying nothing new here.

9. SELFDEFENSE

pb7:
    I think Syn and I were talking in the context of the video of the narc (don't get me started on the DEA) shooting himself in the brajole with his G22.
    As far as mechanical reliability is concerned, Glock has had big problems before (that's why I brought up the NYPD Glock 19 question). That was a total cluster nightmare that had a Glock van camped out at NYPD training sites for months at least. The problem is, as possibly in that case, some departments may monkey with spring tensions to make the guns "safer" and screw up the mechanical balance of the gun. Don't think we know enough of the dirty particulars of this case to make an educated guess yet at the true cause.

10. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Now I gotcha.

I hope the DEA agent got his ass fired. What kind self esteem issues that guy has to have to pull that cocky "only one in this room professional enough" b.s. in front of a classroom full of kids. Sheesh.

11. smores

smores Guest

Have you ever seen the video? The best part is when he picks up the rifle... all the kids and parents start laughing and telling him to put it down lol

How much you wanna bet those kids are Brady supporters now :roll:

12. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I just watched the video on YouTube. I can only watch it once. I am surprised Agent Paige didn't die from embarrassment.

I actually feel really bad for him.

13. smores

smores Guest

Yeah... it's pretty sad. I always remove the magazine first before clearing any weapon. There's no chance another round can be chambered if you don't lock the slide back on the first try that way. Oh well, guess he learned his lesson...

14. SELFDEFENSE

Why do an administrative unloading in a classroom/rec center when you can unload it elsewhere before the time you know you will be in the class situation? :roll:

15. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Good point, SD. One of many mistakes this guy made.

If he didn't want to remove his duty weapon he could have borrowed another Glock from his agency.

I really wonder what his leg looked like. I assume he caught a JHP. Also, I was wondering if he was tracking blood around the room or maybe it was pooling in his boot.

16. SELFDEFENSE

One thing you can say is he kept his cool. Possibly more from shock than anything else.