"GLOCK" by Paul M. Barrett

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 53vortec, Nov 22, 2011.

1. 53vortec

53vortec New Member

Greetings,

I joined up here a while back when doing some research on the Caracal. Just wrote this review and thought you folks here might find it interesting as well. I'll be very interested in hearing what Mr. Bubits has to say about the book.

I've been fortunate enough to receive an advance copy of Paul M. Barret's book "Glock - The Rise Of America's Gun" and would like to pass along my thoughts.

Overall, the book was great. Barrett managed to take the story of the pistol from its unlikely beginnings to international presence and tells it in a way that keeps up the intrigue through the decades long tale. A lot of the content in the book will likely come as a surprise to most gun enthusiasts, and dispels much of the gun shop (and gun forum) rhetoric that comes up at the mention of the Austrian pistol. We learn of the unlikely manner in which Glock came to American shores and became the gun to beat in many markets. Along the way are tales of marketing coups, wild parties in Atlanta strip clubs, Congressional inquiries, embezzlement, flustered competitors, and the attempted assassination of the founder itself - at times the drama surrounding the story reads more like a corporate thriller. We're also treated to the backstory of the vendetta that brought about the fear of the "terrorist's weapon of choice," and revelations are made about both the gun industry and its respective lobbies.

From a journalistic standpoint, Barrett did a great job. The depth of his research is impressive, and source references are made throughout the material. In establishing the events and timelines of the Glock creation and success, the author's work comes across as both thorough and unbiased. Some stories from insiders are very insightful, and remind us that things aren't always what they seem in the intermingled world of politics of industry.

In technical terms, the book isn't very advanced. As you've likely devised by now, this book is not a technical publication or user's guide. Where Barrett does explain operating theory and mechanical features, he does so in a way that firearm neophytes can understand. While his nomenclature isn't always 100%, it conveys the point without any frustrating inaccuracies.

Where the book falls flat is in Barrett's decision to add his own commentary, namely in regard to American gun legislation. He doesn't come off as a gun grabber per se. In fact many of his standpoints seem contradictory. At one point he points out obvious fallacies of gun control, but then bemoans the fact that we don't have stricter laws on some matters. These quips stand out in sharp contrast to the rest of the content, feeling like they were forced in by the author in what is otherwise a text of research and reporting. Not only does the authors decision to use this publication as his venue to espouse his opinions take away from the overall quality of his reporting, but I believe it will hinder sales to many of the people who would be most interested in the book. Fortunately his commentary is mostly confined to one chapter, and is easily ignored.

I give "GLOCK" a solid four stars, and recommend anyone interested in the firearms industry - regardless of their side in the Great Glock Debate - check this book out.

Talyn likes this.
  2. Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett New Member

Response from author of GLOCK book

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to say thanks for your interest in my book, GLOCK: The Rise of America's Gun. I would be happy to answer questions about the book or why/how I wrote it. Forum participants can get more info at my website: www.glockthebook.com. There is a link on that site to Amazon.com, where you can pre-order the book at a nice discount. The official publication date is January 10.

All the best,
    Paul Barrett
    www.glockthebook.com

3. Ammo08

Ammo08 New Member

I enjoyed the book and have been lending it to some friends...I don't agree with him on the gun laws thing, but it didn't detract from the book for me. I would like to have had a few more pictures, maybe some drawings of earlier prototypes, pictures of Mr Glock and the main characters would have been good.