Glock 36

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yesterday I put a slightly used Glock 36 into lay away. I'll probably pay for it next week so that it will give me a few days to dream about it for a bit. I wanted a .45 and the second that I picked it up it was just right. The plus one magazine only made ot better.

Anyone have any experience with the 36?

Buzz

2. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

I bought a Glock 36 right after they first came out. I liked it very well, the Slimline grip was right for me and I believe I shot it as accurately than any other pistol I've owned.
    That being said, I wound up getting rid of it. Even after 500 rounds I was getting a failure to eject every third or fourth magazine. I just couldn't rely on it.
    Then, this summer, I rented another one at a gun range to see if things were any better. I had heard there had been some changes to the G36 frame and I figured a range gun would be as broken in as it got. Once again, very accurate (one member of our party could put all 6 in a single ragged hole at 25 ft.), a pleasure to shoot, and, out of 150 rounds there was a single failure to eject. I was not the shooter at the time of the FTE so the problem doesn't seem to correlate to just me.
    The round that didn't eject just fell out of the chamber when the pistol was cleared, it's like the ejector just missed it completely.
    So, I didn't buy another G36. I wound up with a Steyr M40-A1 which has been problem free for me.
    There's a lot about the G36 on various boards like Glocktalk.com and combatcarry.com. Seems to be a mixed bag of many having trouble-free G36's and some that have problems. If you get one that is trouble-free for you then you should be very pleased with it.

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I wonder whether this is a problem that Glock could deal with. Like Steyr Glock is local to me so I could just drop the gun off. Of course, that is assuming that I have problems.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, a friend of mine passed on to me something that Glock told him. His company was considering doing some business with Glock so he got an extensive tour of the facility in nearby Smyrna. Like Steyr, parts are shipped here from Austria and the guns are assembled. My friend was told by Glock that the best Glock that one could buy was a factory refurbished one. New guns are assembled by "low paid" workers while the factory refurbished guns are gone over extensively by "techs". Regular production guns do not have the advatage of having been evaluated by a tech.

Buzz

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Do you know if Steyr has similar "refurb" guns available?

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Not that I'd know of. Heck, I'd just settle for the new S-A1.

I've got to say that although I love my Steyrs its really nice to have a lot of accessories available as is the case with Glock. There's lots of it and it's relatively inexpensive.

Buzz

6. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

7. hihoslva

hihoslva Guest

I've done some shooting of a G36 before, and while the pistol functioned flawlessly, I do have one complaint (and it's a common one):

There's "pinky bite". The area where your pinky rests while shooting is right at the "seam" between the magazine baseplate and the grip frame. When firing, I got pinched several times.

No blood, not that bad. But it was annoying.

I have read that the G36 is probably the most unreliable Glock ever made - but that's not to say that it's bad. Most Glocks are flawless forever, so when one model shows some hiccups, it gets a lot of attention.

Again, the one I've fired (I'd say I've put maybe 100 rounds downrange over 4 or 5 range sessions with this particular G36 that belongs to a friend) has been flawless other than the magazine bite.

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'll watch that pinky bite!

Does anyone know whether all G36 are 3rd generation? (One way to tell is that if they were 2nd generation they wouldn't have finger grooves on the front of the grip frame.)

Buzz

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I've answered my own question. Glock went to 3rd generation frames within 1998. The 36 came out in 1999. The 36 is arguably a generation 2.5, but some refuse to recognize generation 2.5 with subcompacts. As my 36 was built in 2002 it is probably safe to call it a 3rd generation.

Buzz

10. azerious85

azerious85 Guest

G36 has alot of issues do to the slimline grip and the magazines. alot of the non-existent reliability issues that normally come with glock, are absent on this one. my advice, try a G30.....double the capacity same size just larger (width wise) grip

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hey, azerious85,

Your AVATAR looks familiar.....

..not very original, but I like it......

:wink: :wink:

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I thought I was seeing double. Maybe you guys could have a shootout to settle the "V for Vendetta" showdown. :mrgreen:

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

BTW - All third gen Glocks have rails AND the cute li'l dimples above the grip.....

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Not all have rails. Not the 36 or the 26/27/33, 28, and 39. Rails on a compact/subcompact always make me laugh.

Buzz

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Ooooops.....

I was thinking that, but didn't type it.......

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I tend to ignore the 'baby' glocks.....

16. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I was reading your mind :D

Hey! Baby Glocks are cute, in an ugly way. My 33 (.357 Sig) is a great gun. My 29 I haven't gotten around to shooting yet. I need a special occasion for 10mm. The 36 is only a compact, but still a fine gun (despite a mixed reputation). A tech at Glock told me that it was like no other Glock in many ways. My 19 is the perfect size, and my 21 is just plain fun, and a moose.

Buzz

17. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

BTW, I was wrong, my G29 has a rail.

Buzz

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Glocks are kinda like party favor whores.....

...not very exciting, but dependable......

:wink: :wink: :wink:

19. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Around this part of Georgia Glocks spring up like mushrooms in the morning. They are everywhere.

Buzz

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Well, that explains what I've been wondering about why my G29 hath no rail?

[​IMG]

But why oh why does my Kel-Tec PF-9 have one? You better have some pretty big pockets if you put a light on it.

[​IMG]