Glock 22C

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by alex, Oct 12, 2007.

1. alex

alex Guest

My 15 years old daughter has trouble with the sharp muzzle flip and inconsistent trigger pull of my Steyr M40-A1. I am thinking about getting her a compensated pistol. I am thinking about a Glock 22C. I have not fired a Glock 22C before and have no idea to what degree the compensated model will help. Also what are the pros and cons of a compensated pistol. Bear in mind that this pistol will be used mostly for recreational shooting for fun.
    I was at the range last weekend and a gentleman at the range offered me to try his Glock 22 (not the compensated model) and the trigger on his gun was way better than my Steyr M40-A1. He further told me that he replaced the factory trigger spring with an after market spring and the trigger pull was improved by 100%. I wish someone would make trigger enhancment for our Steyr's. The nice, modified trigger on the Glock was what got me interested in looking into getting a Glock.
    Anyway, the Glock 22C is next on my list. Please share your experience.

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

As a Glock fan I would urge you to have your daughter hold a Glock before you buy one. It may be too "blocky" for her; the difference in grip thickness between the Steyr and Glock is not insignificant.

Also, why not go with a G17C or G19C, cheaper ammo, and even less recoil. Or you could even look at a S&W M&P, which has interchangeable back straps to fit different sized hands and a good stock trigger.

If your daughter will use the gun mainly for plinking or as an intro to shooting you could get a Walther P22. They are very accurate, light weight, pleasant to shoot, fun and very inexpensive to shoot yet retain a lot of the characteristics of a combat pistol.

3. alex

alex Guest

The reason I am interested in a Glock 22C is I want another 40 caliber gun besides my Steyr. I also want my daughter to be able to shoot the pistol. You brought up a good point that the Glock grip might be too large for my daughter's small hand. I'll need to find a Glock 22 for her to try for size. She has no trouble holding my Steyr and firing it. Just the muzzle flip she didn't like.
    Has anyone ported their 40 caliber Steyr? Mag-na-port offers auto-port for auto pistol. I am not sure if that type of compensating is effective. Many years ago I had a 8 3/8" S&W model 29 mag-na-ported but honestly I couldn't tell if the ports helped any. I sold the model 29 and bought a newer model 629 Powerport. Again I didn't feel any difference between the Powerport and standard barrel. So I sold that gun also and got myself a 10" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Now recoil is no longer a problem. The Ruger just rolls in my hand and no more pain. This might seems off topic but the fact that to counter recoil or muzzle flip you need several factors to work together. The weight of the gun, the angle of the grip, the height of the bore line in relation to the hand, and the design of the compensator, build-in or add-on. For plastic guns, Glock or Steyr, they have no weight. They both have pretty good high grips. Glock offers factory compensated barrel. Glock's compensating holes seem larger than the one put on by Mag-na-port so that is why I lean towards a Glock 22c.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

IGB of Austria may offer a ported .40 cal. barrel for the Steyr M40-A1. I poked around a bit on their site but I never have much luck finding what I'm looking for there.

Try sending an email to Carmen Schranz, [email protected] and tell her what you're looking for. (At least I think Carmen is a her, not sure about that.)

That would hopefully be a lower-cost solution to buying a new pistol for your daughter, but then she'd be sharing yours, so maybe that's not the best solution. :mrgreen:

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

The Carmen I speak with on the phone is most definitely female.. 8) 8) 8)

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

How 'bout a Beretta 96? It has more weight and a longer barrel then the Steyr. Not sure how the grip compares in size to the Glock though, it too maybe too fat.

7. alex

alex Guest

After looking into all these other psitols the Steyr is still the best fit for my daughter's hand and mine too. I am now so temped to send to in the Steyr to Mag-na-port for their auto-porting. I just want to hear if anyone has done that and how effective it is. The cost for Mag-na-port plus two ways shipping will run about $160. I definitely don't want to throw away that much cash if the auto-porting is just all hype.

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The only person who comes to mind here at SteyrClub who has said anything about a ported pistol is mugdava, who had a Glock 20C, which is the compensated or ported version of the full-size 10mm. And he recently posted about trading it for a Para-Ord .45 ACP.

You might try PM'ing him and asking about his G20C experience. Though unless he also shot a G20 unported, he might not have anything to compare it to. But he's got so many guns he may well have tried that out, too! :mrgreen:

P.S. Nice to know that Steyr offers a service for magna-porting. I didn't know that and this is the first mention of it I've seen since I joined the club almost a year ago. Thanks for that info. I'm sure there are others unaware, also.

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

While I haven't Mag-na-ported any of my Steyrs, I have done so to a Glock 17.

And I can tell you, it does help. It does NOT reduce recoil. Nothing can do that. It simply reduces FELT recoil, and tames muzzle flip as well.....

10. alex

alex Guest

I didn't mean to send the gun to Steyr to have it Mag-ma-port. I was to said send the gun to Mag-na-port Inc and have them do the porting. Sorry for the confusion.

11. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

if it's for recreation and fun shooting get her an M-9. cdnn.com has them for 349.

12. butch_d

butch_d New Member

The reason I got a Steyr M40A1 and not the Glock 22 was because of an item in this forum:
    http://members.cox.net/guntraining/no_glocks.htm

Take a look at B2. Plus the I heard the muzzle flash from the ports of the 22 "C" kinda burns .

I wouldn't let my daughter touch it. She loves the Steyr though.

Maybe you should slip on a Hogue Grip to lessen the shock.

my 2 cents

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Oh.

Yeah.

Right.

...and this one time.... in band camp.....

8) 8)

Where in the world did you hear such a thing?

Crazy Shiz...

Crazy....

14. butch_d

butch_d New Member

Con: Theoretically more blast/flash

Con: Potentially dangerous if you end up having to fire one close to your own face/body in a defensive situation

#2. In a close-up / retention position defensive shooting situation, the upward flash from the twin ports will blow debris and / or burn your skin / face…etc. Within the realm of possibility, but can be mitigated.

Read about that here. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 22915.html

:D

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Barring the grip size, the Glock is a great choice. You can get a 9mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf for 99.00. So your daughter can shoot a lighter recoil pistol and you can have your 40cal. You can also get the grip slimmed down by many Smithies who do this type of work. Options on Glocks are numerous.......

16. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I've always thought that for a .40 the M40 was rather mild to begin with. I also find the Beretta PX4 to be on the mild side (for a .40). I think that when you get into porting you are going to have other issues such as flash to contend with.

Lets face it, the .40 is a snappy round. That's the nature of the animal. Unless there is some reason why you have to stick with the .40 I'd strongly consider shooting 9mm out of a Steyr. It's a pussycat. Does anyone make a 9mm conversion barrel for the M40?

Buzz

17. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I think IGB makes makes a conversion barrel..............and CDNN had conversion kits that they sold out of.........

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I personally don't even see the blast from the Mag-Na-Ported barrel on my Glock... But others can see it standing farther back.... And the Mag-Na-Port blows to the sides at appx 45 degree angles.... not in Line of Sight like other ported barrel designs that shoot directly up.....

..got me there.... :oops: :oops:

19. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

..got me there.... :oops: :oops:[/quote:hc9yw850]

Ya, I was just thinking how bright that might be at nite...........

20. alex

alex Guest

I have a quite few ported handguns and I can tell you that the ports do not make the blast any brighter than non-ported guns.
    I keep hearing people say a port gun will ruin your night vision. This is just not true at all. Most good commerical ammos particularly those for self defend use are loaded with flash supressant. A non ported gun will have a big round fire ball. With the target behind the fire ball and front sight in front of the fire ball. Your ability to find the front sight after the first shot is affected. In a ported gun particularly with a V-port configuration the upward flash is to either side of the front sight and the round fire ball from the muzzle is reduced. So your ability to seek the front sight after the first shot is actually easier.
    You can hardly see any flash during day time shooting and that is when 99.99% of the time we do our shooting.
    If you hold the gun properly the discharge from the ports will not dump any debris at your face.
    Some people think shooting a ported gun is not man enough or to show one's weakness. I find that I am shooting for accuracy - the elusive one-hole group. So anything that help me shoot better and shoot more comfortably is welcome.
    I just ordered a Glock 22C a couple of days ago. I figured there are so many upgrade parts for Glock that I can put a match grade barrel compensated or not, a nice trigger job, adjustable sight, and etc. I can really customize a Glock to my liking. I wish I can say that for my Steyr M40-A1. Not to put down Steyr just wish I have a better trigger on it.