Glock 17/Steyr M9-A1 Choice

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Sinjin, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

I am going to post this on both https://www.steyrclub.com and http://www.glocktalk.com

My situation is this.
    I am wanting to buy my first pistol, I have done a tremendous amount of research, and I am stuck between a few choices but cannot decide specifically which one I want.

I say this is my first pistol, but for my age I am a decently experienced shooter. I have been shooting guns since I was a little guy. My dad has a decent collection, so from that I have gained experience shooting .22 pistols (most notably a ruger Mark II), a .357 Mag. S&W, a .44 Mag. S&W, and various other pistols that my friends/family have (most notably my roommates Glock 19).

The List of possibilities that I have ended up with is (in Order): Glock 17, Steyr M9-A1, Taurus 24/7, Baretta Px4, and the Springfield XD.

The reason why I am posting this topic on these two forums in particular is that my decision has basically come down to the Glock 17 or the Steyr M9-A1. From what I have read and seen, the Steyr is basically a nicer gun aesthetically... ok, way nicer aesthetically (I am not extremely fond of the glock look) and has a few more features, but the glock has such a gigantic selection of aftermarket parts.

The necessary features I want are a 9mm Polymer frame (or very lightweight) Standard size pistol with a front rail so I can add accessories if I want.

My purposes for the gun are going to be mostly target shooting on the weekends with friends, but the gun will also double as a personal defense weapon in my nightstand drawer. I am also not the kind of person to buy several firearms, one for each purpose. I would rather have one pistol that can do just about everything. This is one reason why the glock sounds so good to me. It has so many parts that can be "hot-swapped" so that it functions differently for several tasks.

My list of priorities probably goes as follows:
    Accuracy
    Reliability
    Safety
    Fitting my hand/ease of manipulating gun controls from a ready position
    Aesthetics (what can I say? I am vain and want a cool looking pistol)
    Aftermarket customization
    Weight

I hope this is enough information for you to get a good idea of what I want. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone who has extensively shot both a glock and a steyr, which one was your favorite and for what reasons? Thanks.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

The ONLY reason I would go with the M-A1 is because you can get TWO of them for the price of one Glock right now from CDNN.....

Otherwise, I would get the G17 first......

my 2 cents.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

eh? that is very nice! what is this CDNN you speak of? only website I could find was http://www.cdnninvestments.com which sold only firearm accessories? can you call them and actually order a gun?

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

CDNN has guns in their online PDF catalog, but you have to call for pricing. Steyrs are going for something like $339 right now IIRC...

I would go with the Steyr because I think it is hands down the better gun and because I have absolutely no love for glocks. I've managed to obtain every aftermarket mod I want for my M9A1, but YMMV. Weight and aftermarket are probably the only two things on your list where the Steyr doesn't excel.

5. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Sinjin -- Yes, that is the correct website. You simply need to click on the "Info" blue-boxed menu selection located at the upper left of your screen on CDNN's homepage, and then select/click the "Download Newest Catalog!!" icon. That will take you to CDNN's catalog access page, containing available firearms, in .pdf format.

Having purchased a Steyr M40A1 just last week from CDNN (my first experience with them), I telephoned them at their 1-800 number first to learn of the availability of the Steyr MA1-series of pistols (no fret; as of last week they still had PLENTY in stock). I was informed by the individual from CDNN whom I spoke with that essentially there are two routes I could follow to buy a firearm from them. I could either pay them directly, and in the process provide to them my FFL's contact information to where the firearm would be shipped, OR, I could have my FFL contact them and he could coordinate the entire purchase for me (in which case my FFL purchases the handgun outright from CDNN and I simply reimbursed my FFL once the handgun arrives... or perhaps more appropriately stated: upon delivery of the gun to my FFL I simply purchase the handgun from him; his company). I chose the latter. Hindsight being what it is, I think the first option might be cheaper (in that, providing I am correct... and I very well could be wrong, you avoid paying the state tax fee.... unless of course you are a Texas resident).

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK with your decision!

~Gary

6. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Sinjin!

You can pick up a G17 anytime, but who knows how long CDNN is gonna have M9-A1's at $339! If You find the M9-A1 isn't for You(that I doubt!) it can be sold for not much less than You paid for it!
    _______
    mugdava

7. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

That is kind of what I am thinking... I believe I will be calling my Gun dealer after I get off work to set the details up. Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I will most likely enjoy the Steyr more, it is cheaper right now, and you are right... guns don't lose value very fast... so if I absolutely hate it (which I doubt) I can always resell it.

Ok, one more question and then I think I will be satisfied. I am just wondering what kinds of accessories you can find for the steyr as compared to a list that I made up for a glock(if I were to get one). These are not all nessecities. I am sure I will be very happy with just the stock gun. I am just curious.

Here is the list:
    .22 conversion kit
    Some kind of Clip draw(I already have a nice holster)
    Internal Laser
    Tactical Light
    Front Weight
    Scope Mount
    Magwell
    Non-gun altering compensation?

Also, I have read on the wishlist something about an affordable rail adapter? Is that like the scope mount I have listed or is the front rail not picatinny/weaver style?

8. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

Also, is there any good websites that have a decent selection of M9-A1 accessories? I think that would be the best way for me to get a feel for what I can do to the pistol.

Oh, here is the link for the same post on GlockTalk.com. Suprisingly enough, even on Glock oriented forums I got a pretty positive response on the M9-A1.

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

.22 conversion kit = N/A
    Clip draw = N/A, but I believe a board member fabricated one.
    Internal laser = N/A. Get a Tac Light w/ a laser.
    Tactical light = The sky is the limit!
    Front weight = that's actually something I'm working on, but it only works properly w/ a 6" barrel!
    Scope Mount = N/A
    Magwell = N/A, but I believe a board member is working on one!
    Non-gun altering compensation = IGB Austria should have something.

Only required for the older M series Steyr.
    _______
    mugdava

10. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

Hmpf... thanks for the help. I actually have access to a CNC machine through my dad's workplace, so maybe I can whip up a few of the things you couldn't normally get.

11. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

The following weblink will take you to the IGB Austria webpage that contains info and pics of their pistol muzzle/barrel comp design: http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com/online ... 4-komp.htm
    If I'm reading the site correctly, at more than 280 euros for both the comp and the threaded barrel, THAT becomes cost prohibitive (i.e., when the assessory cost more than the stock gun..... naturally, opinions vary on that point :whistle:).

Below are pics of their comp which I liberated from their website.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

IMHO, visually they're a bit of a monstrosity.... but I'm sure they work very, very well.

This is why I am strongly leaning toward having my M40A1 Mag-na-ported versus having a compensator fabricated for my gun, which would also require a threaded barrel.

12. Sinjin

Sinjin Guest

I think having the barrel and slide ported would be awsome. Much better than getting a threaded barrel and external comp. However, I would still like to have a regular non-ported barrel as well, that way I could have the option of having a compensated gun or not, depending on the shooting conditions. If I were to get a glock I was planning on getting a G17c and getting a non-ported barrel.

I think I am pretty much decided on the Steyr now, though. I am pretty sure all the aftermarket accessories I REALLY want can be gotten for the Steyr or made easily via CNC machine and that was my only issue between the Glock and Steyr. Really though I like pretty much everything about the M9-A1 better.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You could also do a flash hider like I did (evolution 2.5 - see my signature line) - it adds a lot of weight to the front and virtually eliminates recoil, and the hider itself cost less than $50. I've also got details on the M6X in the first link (IIRC) - I absolutely love the laser/light. BigTaco has toyed with the idea of an internal laser, but there aren't any serious projects in the works as of late.

We're all waiting for someone to do the port job - you could be the first... :twisted: