Girlfriend's M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by lycanthrope, Feb 13, 2006.

1. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

Well miracles happened. For some reason, after 3 years of watching me shoot USPSA ans IDPA the girlfriend decided she wanted a pistol....."just in case" ("but I'm not doing any of that shooting stuff you do")......

I'm a 1911 guy, but a firm believer that handgun choice should be a personal thing. She can handle the .40 and .45 rounds out of the 1911, so I wasn't steering her towards a 9mm. Since I reload and can reduce the larger loadings if necessary. Well, lo and behold, she finds an M40 in the back of the case that has been there forever. She loved the grip angle and the short trigger was good for her small hands. So, I bought her a Valentine's Day present a bit early.

After the purchase, I did a little research and came upon this site (kind of backwards from the usual process, but I wanted to stay neutral)
    First trip to the range we went through about 300 rounds. Most were reloads and minor power factor. The only failure was the very first shot. A failure to eject with the casing still held under the extractor. AFter that, it was smooth ejection, although somewhat erratic. I attribute that to the light loads and break in process. (I had polished up the feed ramp and cleaned up the extractor per this site and the gun eats empties.)

The gun shot to the sights and no adjustment was needed at all. The Trapezoid sights are excellent for a new shooter. It is very hard to misalign them on the horizontal/Y axis.

I think I'd like this gun for IDPA.

The only downside is that the trigger pull is about 11lbs. It's crisp, so it feels lighter. I did the trigger group work I found here and brought it down to about 9lbs. This gun is a relatively early serial number (#5xxx) and has the old trigger style. Can I still get the new style trigger from Steyr and who do I contact? Do you have to ship the whole gun back (and pay the overnight shipping) or can Steyr send me a replacement group I coud install myself?

Thanks in advance. Nice place you have here.

2. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

yes it would be a good IDPA, at least I think so \:D/

contact info for steyr is in links section. I believe they still do the upgrades for free.

congrats to your other half on a great find. Now gwet her in a class, esp. if you can find a women's class in your area.

3. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Ditto to everything FlaChef said and I'll just add:

The new trigger if you can get it installed is only a 5 lbs. pull so that could be a big help for your girl.

4. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

Can I swap out the part myself or am I going to have to pay the $70 overnight fee to ship a handgun through Fedex?

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Is the postal service taking firearms to manufacturer's??????????
    I know they are delivering to gun shops???? (probably through a contract with UPS at half the price).......... 8-O

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

ups overnight is only around $30.

my gun shop sent one back to steyr through the post office. not sure of the price, but it's possible to use the postal service. still has to go through an ffl though.

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yeah, i think the post office is cheaper then UPS........flying on ups planes though i think......... 8-O

8. ShelbyV8

ShelbyV8 New Member

Get the dealer to ship it back for you. They can ship it postal.

9. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

Maybe it's the weight difference, but my STI costs $65 each way through the local UPS.

I wish I could just drop out the trigger group and send it 3 day from the postal service for $12.

10. madecov

madecov Active Member

Federal law requires unlicensed persons to ship via common carrier (UPS/FedEx). UPS and FedEx require overnight.

I ship handguns using the Postal service, Priority mail. I charge $15.00 over cost.

Remember that if you use an FFL it has to go back to the FFL. I don't think that a new 4473 would be needed as ownership of the firearm has not changed.

Law requires that any firearm kept in possesion of the FFL after the close of the business day has to be logged in to the book

Long guns can be shipped by the general public using the postal service

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Last time my Gfriend shipped her (mine now :lol: ) Steyr back to the seller's store for waranty she was charged by the local FFL and the seller sent it mistakenly back to the same shop instead of directly to her costing her again.
    Make sure Steyr ships it back to you and not to the FFL or he may charge
    you again.

12. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

OK, sounds good. Still haven't heard back from Steyr, though......

13. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Ask steyr if you can just send in the frame, since most of the weight is in the slide.

It is my understanding that firearms can be shipped from private individuals to repair centers (including refinishing shops) and recieve them back w/out a ffl.

UPS/Fedex charge by weight for overnight (and it is their company policies that say they have to go overnight as mentioned) so it might very well be less.

14. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Good point Chef, and it NOT being a whole firearm, the postal service would be a good choice and a lot cheaper......

15. madecov

madecov Active Member

The "frame" or receiver is the gun according ATF.
    It is the controlled part.

No different than buying a 1911 stripped frame or an AR-16 stripped receiver.

It still can't go using USPS unless shipped by an FFL

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

17. lycanthrope

lycanthrope New Member

Right, but everything inside the frame could go without problem through the mail. That's the whole trigger group.

On another note, I've sent an e mail to the sales dept. and also did the online form, but all I'm getting is E silence. Perhaps SHOT has put them a bit behind.

18. madecov

madecov Active Member

I'm not so sure about that, Trigger group and sear is not regulated
    The polymer receiver is the item that accepts the magazine. Traditionally ATF considers the part that accepts the magazine to be the receiver

Barrels have serial numbers stamped on them, so do slides.
    Is the sub frame assembly the same serial number as the frame?

Also, since you can not verify the number on the sub frame without disassembling the weapon, FFL's wouldn't be able to verify number.

I think the sub assembly is an unregulated fire control group.