GB light primer strikes?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by BRING_GUNS, May 18, 2020.

1. BRING_GUNS

BRING_GUNS New Member

I recently purchased a Steyr GB and about once per magazine (or about half the time I shoot with the hammer down/decocked in double action) I'll get a light primer strike. Is there anything I can do to fix this or does my gun just need new hammer springs? I assume actual GB hammer springs are unobtainium so is there anywhere I can get equivalent springs that will work?

The light strikes happen with multiple types of new, factory ammo that works fine in other guns so I'm fairly certain it's not an ammo issue.

2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

I would start with a very good and thorough cleaning before attempting to replace any parts.
    While we were cleaning it I would inspect the firing pin they have been known to chip or have where.

BRING_GUNS likes this.

3. BRING_GUNS

BRING_GUNS New Member

That's a good idea. I was hoping to not have to do a full disassembly but I guess I'd have to do it either way to change the springs so I might as well get it nice and clean and get familiar with how all the little bits work.

Case likes this.
  4. BRING_GUNS

BRING_GUNS New Member

5. BRING_GUNS

BRING_GUNS New Member

I ordered one of these springs and installed it in the gun: https://www.leespring.com/torsion-springs?search=LTR040H07M

It's very close to the ones that came with my gun aside from the leg length and geometry but a bit of clipping and bending fixes that. And also it has one or two fewer coils but hopefully that doesn't make a huge difference. The important thing is it fits!

I'll take the gun out tomorrow to shoot it and see if it actually works but it seems to dry fire, decock, etc just fine so I think it should work with live ammo.

If someone sees this in the future and needs a replacement for one or both of their Steyr GB hammer springs then the part numbers are LTR040H07M (right hand wound, left side of the gun) and LTL040H07M (left hand wound, right side of the gun) from Lee Spring.

They also make a version with the same dimensions out of stainless steel which should be a bit less stiff than the music wire version I used. Might result in a lighter trigger pull while still functioning fine but I haven't tried it.

edit: Just tried the gun and it works great now! Two full mags with no malfunctions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020