Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I bought a Steyr GB online and in my haste to own one of these beauties, I might have got suckered.
Starting with an unloaded gun: If I lock the slide back and then release it forward, the hammer follows !!
Is this a fullauto situation waiting to happen ?
I have not shot it yet.
If I rack the slide back and release it slowly, the hammer holds back ok.
I dont have another GB to compare it to, but surely this is not normal.
Any GB gurus out here please help.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Not owning one of the GB beauties myself, I can only suggest that you thoroughly clean the weapon (more than field stripping may be necessary), then carefully lube it. Is the mag in the weapon (unloaded) when you release the slide? You may want to find an exploded drawing of the GB on the web to check for the parts which could possibly fail and cause such an effect.

Good luck!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I KNEW I shouldnt' have looked that gun up. I want one now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gun is clean. However I very much suspect that the guy I bought it off from mixed and matched parts. He showed me pics of parts and assembled pistols so I am just guessing here.
I have taken the gun apart a few times ( YES !)and the only think I can think of is that the sear/disconnector has been got at/modified, or just worn.
A real pig of a situation because I love the gun and can only know for sure if I try another sear !

·
Registered
513 Posts
still can't believe the beretta 92 beat this gun for the military contract in the us of a. not that the beretta isn't good, but the gb is well a steyr after all.

wish i had one to help the op, but i don't and i'm not comfortable shelling out over 1.5k+ for a pistol that was produced in small numbers and parts that are hard to come by. hopefully a collector/owner will come by and give you the insight you are looking for.

·
Registered
632 Posts
still can't believe the beretta 92 beat this gun for the military contract in the us of a. not that the beretta isn't good, but the gb is well a steyr after all.

wish i had one to help the op, but i don't and i'm not comfortable shelling out over 1.5k+ for a pistol that was produced in small numbers and parts that are hard to come by. hopefully a collector/owner will come by and give you the insight you are looking for.
oh no, they are that much? =*(

·
Registered
513 Posts
oh no, they are that much? =*(
don't want to hi-jack the op's thread, my apologies to the op, but 2 are on gunbroker as i am typing this post.....listed starting at 1k+ and 1.2k+. seems a nice one with mags and such would fetch over 1.5k+, but you never know. at a local shop you might find one buried in the weeds among all those modern used rugers and such.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What's happening is not normal. Just a guess, but I wonder if the hammer drop lever is causing this. Does it return to the up position after you push it down? If not that, then I'd look at the disconnector or sear.
I can't duplicate the issue with mine. At least the GB has a firing pin block that is only released when you pull the trigger.

Try 3 things...Just gotta say this - Make sure the gun is unloaded as well as following all other gun safety rules!!
1) Cock the hammer with your thumb and see if you hear a click as it locks back. Now whack the gun to see if the sear will release the hammer.
2) Draw the slide back without the mag in the gun to cock the hammer. Be sure your finger is pulling back on the trigger while doing this. Ride the slide forward with your hand - Do not let it go on its own. Now that the slide is home, slowly release the trigger and listen for another click.
3) See if the hammer drop works as it should. Cock the hammer and press down on the lever - left rear side of the slide. It should return to the up position by itself when you release it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a thread from earlier this year or late last year about a GB that had the hammer ground down to clear an aftermarket rear sight. The hammer also followed the slide home because it wasn't tall enough for the slide to push enough for the sear to catch it. Hope yours hasn't been mucked with!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles.They are great pistols! I think some one tried to do a "Trigger job" with a file or dremel and cut the pawl back too far on the trigger. This engages a "U" shaped piece ( I am looking at mine now) that is activated by the trigger. Pull the trigger and the "U" shaped piece moves out of the way ( Pivots forward) to let the hammer down.

My two cents would be. 1) Field strip it. 2) Pull the hammer back and watch the trigger. It should move back at the same time as the hammer. Mine (Greenish military version)makes a good loud click as the pawl on the trigger engages the U shaped piece.3) This separate "U"shaped piece ( sorry for the sh--ty terminology but I could not find an exploded view of a GB) could also be damaged or even missing, if someone has been in there. If you find either one damaged you can get it wielded up by a professional. Ahhh a all steel pistol...well except for the trigger guard.

GB's..at least mine has a distinctive Military pull. Single action must be 5-6 lbs and double action must be 9-10lbs. So I could see how a person would want to do a "Trigger job"

If any one has an exploded view of a GB could you post it? This would be appreciated by all GB owners. I would be very interested in how you make out keep us posted.

Best

Jamsy

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
To the OP, NO it is not supposed to do that. Good advise given about how to diagnose this.
I hope you get this fixed as parts for this pistol are very hard to find.
I love my and its now a safe queen.

·
Registered
632 Posts
To the OP, NO it is not supposed to do that. Good advise given about how to diagnose this.
I hope you get this fixed as parts for this pistol are very hard to find.
I love my and its now a safe queen.
I'm in love with it.
Counting pennies now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts