Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there was a definite date or serial number cut-off for the round/spur hammer and grooved/smooth trigger.
Of 4 pistols I have, 3 are different. Amazingly, or weirdly, all were made in 1984 (with xTF date codes).
I have serial numbers 113xx and 119xx, both with round hammers and grooved triggers.
Serial 143xx has a round hammer and smooth trigger (transitional model??)
Serial 145xx has a spur hammer and smooth trigger.

I've seen images of other GBs with spurred hammers, but unfortunately could not see the triggers though I assumed if they had a spurred hammer, they'd have a smooth trigger. I wasn't aware of the round hammer - smooth trigger until I ended up with one very recently.
The highest serial number (that I've seen) with a round hammer was 137xx, 1984 code.
The lowest serial number (that I've seen) with a spur hammer is my 145xx.

And I'm a little confused by the serial numbers and date codes being in chronological order when I've seen serial number 115xx with the 1983 (ATR) code which blows that theory out of the water since I have 113xx with the 1984 (ETF). What's up with that??

Can anyone help with the mystery?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi David,
Welcome to steyr forum.
Wow, you are a collector or gb by owning 3. Very impressed.
I assume the gb you have are all bought used? Just a wild guess that maybe one of prior owner had the trigger swapped because he/she did not like the trigger? But that is very unlikely because of how difficult to get any gb parts.
I can only offer from the only sample I have.
Please see the pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There you go. You have a version I don't - military finish. I don't believe the trigger was swapped as I don't see any hint of tool marks in trying to replace it. I'll get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All these GBs are 1984. First pic is of the later spur hammer, smooth trigger. Then a round hammer, smooth trigger. Then, the (common?) round hammer with grooved trigger. I included the extra pics to show that this was escaped without any import markings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most likely they just transitioned to the spur hammer first and then started using the smooth trigger a bit later, with a relatively small number of transitional guns in between. However I have seen a few vague mentions here and there of the new hammer and trigger parts being sold separately as upgrade parts at the time so it's likely that there are a number of guns out there that were upgraded with one or both parts that they did not originally have from the factory.

This auction currently on Gunbroker has photographs of #14317 with a spur hammer and I think a grooved trigger (hard to tell for sure). So the opposite of yours and very close in number! If the gun in the auction photos has a smooth trigger and yours is below 14317 then that really narrows down the hammer style transition point. Genuine Python Grips for Steyr GB 9mm Pistol With New Grip Screws - Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com : 905030974 Also interesting that the 14317 gun has a silver finish instead of the normal black or military finish. I wonder if that's custom or was a rare factory finish? I just messaged the seller to ask if he knows. edit: he said the finish is a custom job by a company that is now out of business.

Out of curiosity what's the highest GB serial number anyone has seen? I have 16255 and have found a picture online of 16280 but that's pretty far short of the up to 20,000 supposedly made. Maybe higher numbered batches past 16xxx were sold to police outside the US and thus not photographed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts