GB Again

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Nine days after UPS took the gun for delivery in Oregon it arrived here in Atlanta (Cumming) today. I was walking in the shop door as the UPS man was walking out.

I had forgotten how big this gun is, but very light for it's size. Some of the guys in the shop had never seen one and were stunned. The gun is in pristine condition. When I talked to the seller in Oregon he told me that one box of ammo had been run through it and then the gun was stored. We've all heard that one before, but with this one I'm a believer. This one is in much better condition than my one that I sold 12 years ago. The trigger is also much nicer on this one. Triggers varied on GBs depending on when they were made. As to the finish, having had the parkerized military model I had never cared for the civilian crinkle finish that I saw in photos, but in person it is quite nice, and I understand that it is incredibly durable. It's very no-slip. This is one very pretty gun.

If this gun is as reliable as my old one (not a single malfunction) and shoots as well, I'll be satisfied. The GB with its fixed polygonal barrel is the most accurate handgun that I've had the pleasure to shoot, with the HK P9s running second. For my first GB, a used military model, I paid $375 back around 87 or 88. I sold it five or six years later for $550. With shipping and transfer I paid $655 for this one. I'm $70 ahead with potentially a significantly nicer gun. Now I just need magazines.

Buzz

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Congrats Buzz!

Lets see some pics of that Steyr! 8)
    ________
    mugdava

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Congrats, Buzz.

+1 on the photos, sooner rather than later.

I know a guy who owns a GB. He also swears it's the most accurate pistol he's ever owned and he's got an armory that would choke a large horse or maybe a whole stable full of horses.

His one complaint: Can't find magazines or parts. I understand that's a universal problem. Anyone with any spare GB magazines, PM me and I'll pass it on to my friend.

P.S. You GB owners, why not ask Oliver Bauer to crank out some new mags?

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good onya, Buzz :p

Yeah, it's more a hawgleg than a concealable, for sure, Dude. But with a 7" sight radius it is accurate as Hellfire. :twisted: I keep a close eye on GB's and from time to time mags are listed, but they don't last long and there are never very many. I'll give ya a heads up ifn' I run across one. G'luck and congrat's. :)

Wulf

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Nice, very nice! 8)

Hey Buzz! If'n You get a chance, maybe take a pick of Your GB w/ another pistol to get an idea of the size. I've heard They are HUGE!
    ________
    mugdava

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

You were reading my mind. Later today I'll take a pic of it next to my S9.

The reputation of the GB is that of a very large pistol. That reputation is deserved. With a 5.3 inch barrel and a length of 8.5 inches it is plenty big. Not Desert Eagle big, but getting there. The saving grace is that it's rather light for its size. It sure as heck isn't a conceal carry gun, but as a combat gun its hard to beat. That fixed barrel provides accuracy that's hard to match. Of course the gas ports can be a bit difficult to clean, but I truly love cleaning my guns so the effort is enjoyed.

The ergonomics of the gun is rather good for an older piece. It isn't for small hands. Having had the opportunity to recently hold a rather rare Mauser/Sig M2 in .45, a gun with some similar grip contours, I truly appreciate how well Steyr did with such a big gun. BTW, the Mauser M2 in terms of ergonomics is the biggest dog that I have ever held. I was actually looking for one, found one, held it, and set it down immediately and moved on.

Now I'll get to shoot the GB. Years ago it was my first non-.22 caliber handgun so I was spoiled right off bat. I had no idea what the gun was but it looked mighty cool and the price was right. Steyr's designs seem to minimize recoil a great deal and that was good for someone new to Nines. In this instance it's the gas break system at work and probably the weight of the gun. While the gun can shoot just about any hot 9mm load without concern, I'll stick with target rounds to reduce wear. As has been pointed out, parts are an issue. I may well buy a second GB with the hopes of having two to keep one or both running indefinitely. A military model would be nice. I'd also love to find the Steyr muzzle break that replaces the muzzle cap, but precious few of those were made. Right now I'd just settle for some magazines!

Buzz

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Nice one, Buzz :)

And, that polagonal barrel don't like the lead bullets too much, as I recall. I made that mistake once then had ta clean the livin'hell outta it. :roll: Good onya, Mate. :)

Wulf

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yeah, gotta avoid the lead. Same as with a Glock. I think the only time I ever shot lead was a box of reloads (not my own) out of a Smith 686.

I suspect I'll head over to Georgia Arms (I love those guys) and pick up an ammo can of 500 of their Canned Heat and slap a "GB" label on the side of the can and keep it filled. If I recall correctly that would be 115 gr. FMJ, which is just fine.

Magazines! I need magazines. Only having one mag led to me selling my last GB so I'm not done yet. I'd be happy with two more. Hell, I'd be estatic to score one more.

Buzz

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Last night I cleaned the GB that I received on Valentine's Day. The gun came dirty and the residue was consistent with the one single box ofammo that the owner claimed was all that was put through the gun. Further, the condition of the gas ports was consistent with a gun with that little use. The two gas ports pick up some residue on the inner rim that only goes away with very careful cleaning, and this previous owner wasn't that kind of shooter. How anyone can sell a dirty gun is beyond me, but I can't complain becasue the gun is basically unshot.

The condition of the polygonal rifled barrel is also consistent with an unshot gun. Glocks polygonal barrels have varying profiles but the Steyr almost looks like a smooth bore. It's a little disconcerting but a beautiful sight. Internal parts show zero wear even where you would see some of the blackening worn off with just about any use. With a good cleaning the SA trigger is now even better, more crisp, but the double action remains the same. That said it is a better pull than on my first GB.

Inspection and cleaning elsewhere on the gun was all consistent with a gun with a box or two of ammo through it, nothing more than that. Now off to the range this weekend to pout it through the real tests: reliability and accuracy. Its first time out will be WWB.

A bit later today I will take some size comparison photos with an MA1 and an S9 and maybe my new Beretta 9000s.

All in all so far I'm thrilled with this new piece and am glad to have corrected an error made years ago.

BTW, the serial number stamped on the slide and frame is followed by "XI82" Might 82 be the year of manufacture? (although my serial number in the high 4000s indicates a mid production gun)

Buzz

10. Joel__

Joel__ New Member

Hello from France,

early January I finally got my GB too. I 've been wanting one for years and found one for sale on a swiss web site (the ad was 2 years old). I carefully didn't mention it to anyone while running through our mandatory red tape for owning such a gun.

Almost new. Paid it CHF 880 (720 USD) and got a spare mag with it for CHF 120 (98 USD).

Here it is (crappy digital camera so I put it on my scanner):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems to be the date of proofing : mine is serial # P 032xx and vii82, so I assume it has been proofed on July 82 and yours on November of the same year.

Do the number inside the frame have any special meaning ?

Is writing to Steyr about the GB (for having some info like precise date of manufacture and/or spare parts, litterature, etc...) of any use ? Do they reply positively ?

Cheers

11. TH

TH Guest

Hi guys,

Here another GB in northern Europe from same year.

Serial P042xx
    Date: VIII82

Mine is in very good condition. Had the hammer and other related parts replaced years ago because previous owner had filed them a bit too much. Bought the gun about 8-10 years ago, haven't shot it much but one of my favorite 9mm's.

TH

12. Tifosi

Tifosi Guest

Just looked at my GB serial P073XX and XII82 imported by Guns South in AL, bought it new in 83 and still have it. Sure could use some mags though.

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Hey! Good to see other GB owners! Truly one of the best combat handguns ever created.

Buzz

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Tifosi:

Are there any Ferraris in your garage?

SD

16. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

17. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

I WANT a GB, those look awesome. I am drooling over that one on gunbroker.com
    but I live in Kalifornia and there is NO way I could get that, even if I had the
    money. I hate Ca. I hate Ca. I HATE Ca. Stupid no hi cap mags, drop test, aproved
    list, cant shoot any bad guys because thay have feelings too....

18. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Hows that?

19. Tifosi

Tifosi Guest

Yes I have 14 of them, unfortunately they are are 1/18 scale, but over they years I have driven over 20 of them, some real hard. Have followed F1 for almost 50 years. Been to Maranello.