Garys4598 -- Range Report -- Mag-na-ported M40-A1 pistol

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Garys4598, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

This afternoon I took my recently Mag-na-ported Steyr M40-A1 pistol for its maiden shooting session (first time I've fired this brand-new M40-A1) out at Fort Lewis' MWR Rifle/Pistol outdoor range. It was a nippy 32 degrees with some precipitation in the form of snow. The stationary target was placed at approximately 10 yards out, and I shot exactly 100 rounds of Winchester 165 grain FMJ.

Just prior to taking the pistol out to the range I thoroughly lubricated it per recommendations from the tutorial provided by this website. I used Tetra Gun Grease on the primary contact points (i.e., slide, barrel, etc.), and two tiny drops of Militec-1 on the extractor.

I have a total of six 12-rnd magazines, during this virgin shooting session I loaded them with 10 rnds each. During the first 60 rounds I experienced one FTE, and during the following 40 rounds I experienced approximately eight (8) FTEs which began to annoy me. Having conveyed this, I ask all of you whether I should be concerned at this point regarding the FTEs, specifically with this gun still undergoing its breaking-in phase???

Regarding the muzzle-flip and felt recoil of the pistol while firing (pertaining to the mag-na-porting), I cannot appropriately convey anything... :roll:... because I did not fire the pistol prior to having the Mag-na-port service performed on the barrel and slide, and therefore have nothing to compare the gun's performance to. THAT will come a few weeks from now when babj615 and I conduct a comparative shoot (stock M40-A1 to my modified M40-A1) I will say that shooting the pistol was a joy (excluding the FTEs I experienced) and that muzzle-flip was hardly noticeable.

Including the target photo, I've also posted close-up photos of the pistol taken immediately after firing the 100 rnds (i.e., prior to cleaning), to provide you some notion or comparison regarding gunpowder flash residue on the receiver and slide of this Mag-na-ported pistol. I found that there was very little on the slide's exterior in the proximity of the ports, but as you can see from the photos, it appears that there is some flash residue on the lower receiver near the muzzle.... which in my estimation has nothing to do with the existing ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting. I shall follow your progress with great interest for my M357-A1.

I figured there had to be some fouling around the ports, but that doesn't look like anything that won't come off pretty easily with a little Break Free and a toothbrush.

As for the FTEs, can't blame it on good ol' Winchester ammo. I had a few during my first 500 rds. but never that many at one session, first, middle or last. The more I shot, the fewer they got. Could be you have the old model extractor, which most if not all the CDNN MA1s seem to have. Not sure which extractor my M357-A1 has, but it's working just fine, thanks.

If the problem continues, I'd say it's time to call SAI and talk about an extractor fix. Sombody posted that the SAI service thread has some photos of the old and new extractors.

Good luck with your adventure. Boldly go on forth where no Steyroid has gone before! Live long and prosper! :mrgreen:

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Try switch to CCI for your next trip - it may or may not make a difference. I'm betting Netfotoj is right about the extractor - call up SAI and tell them you want the new model mailed to you (they seemed somewhat willing to do this the last time I talked to them). Of course, it could just be the break-in gobblins cramping your style...

4. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

I telephoned SAI this morning and was put into contact with Jeff. I described the FTE problems I had experienced on Saturday with my M40-A1 and Jeff instructed me to send the entire pistol to him with the issued magazines and that he would give the pistol a "complete once over" and fix any problems. Although he didn't specifically state that he would replace the extractor with the newer more robust updated one, I did make it clear to him that I am a member of the SteyrClub.com forum and that it was my understanding SAI did that sort of thing routinely upon request (provide/install the updated extractor).
    Bottom Line: Jeff assured me he would fix.... whatever needed fix'n. :clap:

One interesting point I'd like to share with everyone: Jeff implied to me that he routinely visits the forum here and when I mentioned that "I'm the guy that recently had his M40-A1 pistol Mag-na-ported" he immediately knew who I was on the forum. Anyway, Jeff shared with me that he is looking forward to receiving my pistol to test fire it with a couple different types of ammo.... and that he would provide me a brief note on his shooting impressions of the Mag-na-ported slide and barrel. :party:

Sending the pistol to SAI will obviously delay my getting the pistol into the hands of Scott Springer to have the frame reduction and X-Grip treatment performed... :wall:... but with the quick turn-around time that SAI is known for, any inconvenience to my pistol project's timeline should be only minor.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I wouldn't recommend oiling the extractor. Wouldn't worry about FTE's or FTF's in the breakin period..........Steyr has some tight tolerances...........I couldn't get a 9mm Gold Dot in battery when I first got my M9. Freaked my out. But it feeds them just fine now..

6. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Interesting comments. :think:

I tend to absolutely disagree with you.... But I can and do appreciate an alternative point of view :) .

One tid-bit of information I failed to convey during my write-up of my pistol's first shoot, is that during the last two to three magazines, those shells that did eject tended to do so straight up into the air (versus slightly out to the right side).

Based on everything I have dug-up and read from threads on this forum, I am totally convinced of the fact that I have an extractor problem, and that my extractor requires replacement.

7. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

My .40 throws brass straigt up in the air also. It's on it's way to SAI right now for Jeff to take a look at it.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Seems Jeff sure is a busy guy!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

My pistol went out this morning via FedEx to Jeff.... it friggen cost me $64... :wall:

The following thought occurred to me after dropping my pistol off: When shipping costs are that high... and when the service being performed is "warrantee-type" service and the gun is essentially brand new.... for me that creaps into the realm of "maybe this pistol wasn't such a fantastic deal after all."

It is NOT my intent to disparage the Steyr MA1 family of pistols. I just feel that now, after having to fork-out an additional $60+ on a pistol that initially was purchased from CDNN for less than $350.... makes the "sweet deal" ever-so slightly bitter tasting. (Does anyone know what I mean?) Point being, now the overall price on the gun is over $400.... which causes it to broach into the territory of one or more other polymer-type pistolas.

Granted, it's kind of ironic that this is coming from me: the guy that is paying for mods on his M40-A1 that will likely in total, cost more than the overall initial purchase price of the gun... heck, it may even seem kind of hypocritical. I suppose that would all depend on your personal point of view.

I'm just a little irked that CDNN is clearly selling Steyr pistols that have "issues." Am I upset with CDNN? Not exactly. But I'll keep my lip buttoned from saying anything further... considering whose hands my pistol will be in tomorrow.

:whistle:

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Gary,

It is not CDNN or Steyr whom are to blame....

It is the Shipping companies that charge [rape] private citizens ungodly amounts of money to do the same thing they charge FFL's/MFG's 12 bucks for....

...as if it is somehow more dangerous for them to ship it from us than it is to ship from FFL/MFG....

SAI will only pay about 9-12 bucks to send it back to you...

...and it isn't their fault....

:( :( :(

11. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Okay, I can agree to that.... as I mentioned, my intent with my comment really was not to point fingers or identify fault (although I admit to 'leaning toward' a certain entity's direction).... without question, I am not the first (nor obviously will I be the last) guy to be compelled to ship his pistol to SAI to have the firearm brought up to reliable operating standards.

Yet, now that you've educated me regarding what SAI will pay for return shipping.... I suppose from their perspective and their purse, it is more cost effective to receive customer's pistols under warrantee and square-them away.... versus sending a team over to CDNN and have the friggen lot of Steyr MA1 pistols retrofitted with the updated extractor.

I'll shut-up already.... and crawl back underneath my rock.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would personally like to see SAI give up their FedEx # for warranty returns - then this would be a non-issue. Also, you can always try to talk the boys @ SAI into sending you the new style extractor - they aren't exactly hard to install...

13. DKHAN

DKHAN Guest

Not to hijack,just another example.
    I sent 2 old Charters in f/service last summer.
    $45 shipping iirc.
    UPS lable when they came back couple weeks later
    was 9$.
    The idea f/return shipping lable is a great idea.
    But then companies would have to admit
    all products ain't perfect out of the box.
    Admit flaws ! They might as well charge less than
    200% mark ups too !
    Just think what that would do to the after market
    parts makers...

14. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Syntax360 -- THAT was precisely what I attempted to achieve when I telephoned SAI this past Monday and spoke to Jeff; to have him SEND ME the newer, updated extractor. Since I was already scheduled to send my pistol to Springer Precision LLC and have them completely disassemble it for a "factory cleaning & polishing" job, I figured that during the reassembly process, Springer Precision could swap out the old extractor for the newer one.

Makes sense, right?

But NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... that is not what Jeff wanted to hear (it essentially went in one ear, and out the other) when I explained to him what I had read hear within the forum AND that my pistol was headed to Springer Precision.

What the heck......

At least now, when my pistol is returned it should be in exemplary working order with the likelihood of any problems checked for and resolved by Jeff. Jeff was interested in doing a comparison shooting session of my Mag-na-ported M40-A1 anyway. He said he would provide me brief written feedback on his findings and "perceptions" regarding the Steyr's shooting with ports.

So, at the very least, you all will have yet another source of feedback to consider (for those considering it), when determining whether you want your own MA1 to receive 'autoporting' via Mag-na-port.

Oh by the way: My M40-A1 was sent to Jeff with one of BigTaco's SS guide rods in black oxide finish installed in it. So, if Jeff has never fired an MA1-series pistol with one of these guide rods, he'll have that for comparison purposes as well I suppose. My guess is, Jeff has previous experiences with BigTaco's awesome product.

:party:

15. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Hopefully Jeff gets it fixed up quick!

16. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Well... I suppose you should count your lucky stars. Because UPS in "my neck of the woods" will not send entact firearms through their system.

17. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hehe... When I talk to Jeff or Jack about metal guide rods, they both balk at the idea.....

They are both ex Glockers, and insist the factory polymer guide rod is more than sufficient. And I am sure it is! :shh: :shh:

However, as many others have found for themselves, having BigTacos Stainless Guide Rod in your Steyr definitely improves the over "Feel" when the slide is cycling, either by hand or during firing.... And, it even looks nicer....

Kudos to BigTaco!!!!

:clap: :clap:

18. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I actually changed my post because I thought about it and double checked the shipping info I read a while ago to find that I shipped it wrong! Hopefully the ATF doesn't read this site :shock: :pray:

19. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

I sorta thought what you conveyed.... didn't add up. But what do I know? Everyone's experiences with either UPS or the USPS or FedEx is different, depending on which part of the country they live in.

Dude, I wouldn't fret it.... After all, you DID NOT do anything "intentionally" wrong.

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Concerning the difference between our shipping costs and gun dealers and manufacturers, my new M9-A1 arrived today from CDNN. Guess who they used to ship it? Friggin' U.S. Postal Service! Try taking a pistol down to your local post office and watch them all stroke out! :mrgreen: